Is it possible to make celestia load EVERYTHING at startup?

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
Topic author
ThePerson98
With us: 18 years 7 months

Is it possible to make celestia load EVERYTHING at startup?

Post #1by ThePerson98 » 15.03.2006, 02:09

When I use celestia, I get heavy loading lag for about the first 30 seconds in celestia, as it loads extras as SOON as they come into sight, even if out of the galaxy. So everything it sees something it stops for about a second, and I have to scroll around a bunch till it loads everything, then it runs smooth.

I want to get rid of it loading like that, and make it load all at the start.. Is it possible? Or do I just have to deal with this?

selden
Developer
With us: 22 years 1 month

Post #2by selden » 15.03.2006, 11:25

There is a "preload textures" command that'll help a little. It's used for the earth in start.cel. You can add other objects. It'll help a little.
Selden

fsgregs
With us: 22 years

Post #3by fsgregs » 17.03.2006, 21:59

In Celestia 1.4.1, you can also now tell Celestia NOT to load certain extras at all. By using a command line option, you can change the celestia.cfg file so that it calls only the extras folder you wish.

For example, the current celestia.cfg file now loads the "extras" folder. To edit it, copy it, paste a copy into your Celestia folder and name it custom.cfg or something like that. Open the copy with a text editor and find the line that reads, ExtrasDirectories [ "extras"]. Change that to read,
ExtrasDirectories [ "extras2"] (or something like that)
Save the custom.cfg file.
Now, go to the Start menu in Windows and select the "Run" command.

Type this in it: "C:\Program Files\Celestia\celestia.exe" --conf custom.cfg"

Click OK. Celestia 1.4.1 will now launch with only the extras add-ons that you placed in the folder named "Extras2". None of your other add-ons will load, unless you want them to.

Enjoy

Frank

Return to “Celestia Users”