Wow, Celestia is amazing!

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
Topic author
Louis Wu
With us: 18 years 7 months

Wow, Celestia is amazing!

Post #1by Louis Wu » 08.02.2006, 01:07

Hi, I discovered Celestia saturday, and as we speak tonight, I've really come to enjoy this software.

I've loaded(and tried to load) tons of addons and I'm realising how much I forgot about working with files in windows..yikes!

But Celestia has reminded me how much I love the stars, so I'm glad I found it and you folks.

Louis
Last edited by Louis Wu on 10.02.2006, 15:50, edited 1 time in total.

jromer
With us: 20 years

Post #2by jromer » 09.02.2006, 00:13

Welcome Louis
2.8G P-4 512k NVidia FX-5200
Celestia 1.4.1 running on WinXP (NVidia 61.77)
Celestia 1.4.1 running on Ubuntu6.06 (kind of...)

Dracontes

Post #3by Dracontes » 09.02.2006, 18:47

And since there isn't a welcome thread here and I heartily concur with the threads title and don't want to start a new one I'll post right here.

I downloaded a 1.3.2 pack last year and proceded to play with it going round the solar system and visiting a host of stars in our neigbourhood. I was particularly impressed by the way structure in stellar arrangement could be easily seen by pivoting around a given point, though I was a bit dismayed that binary stars weren't displayed as the gravitation bound systems they are, Castor being an utmost example with its six stars.

Now I have the 1.4.0 version and have already downloaded loads of add-ons and discovered the real extent of my traveling capabilities with the documentation I missed on the first download. I've discovered among other things a plot hole in Clarke's 2010: who cares about a black monolith when we have a natural experiment dealing with fundamental physics right beside it?

Topic author
Louis Wu

Post #4by Louis Wu » 10.02.2006, 22:04

I am having so much fun with this program!

I am an administrator on a slotcar board, and Celestia is far more addictive!!! AND I don't have to fork over $40.00+ bucks every time I need a new "toy"

I am a novice astromomer, I'm on my second 'scope..and I can find most of the objects in the sky that I'm looking for, but I have only a little PC experience. (I did keep a Packard Bell 75 MH running for 5 years)....but every time windows uogrades itself, what I can do with a PC seems to diminish.
Celestra is like the day I brought my first PC home.
Lots of joy, and hoots of pleasure as I find new places to go or get an add-on to run.

I am so glad I found Celestra.
Please forgive my enthusiasm, this seems like a pretty quiet board
I promise to keep it down :wink:

Louis

osmium
With us: 20 years 2 months

Post #5by osmium » 13.04.2006, 12:30

wellcome 8)

Osmium

Return to “Celestia Users”