New Celestia-1.4.0pre-FT1.1 Version for Download

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
Cham M
With us: 20 years 8 months

Post #81by Cham » 13.10.2005, 19:17

I downloaded the FT1.1 version for OS X compiled by Steven. I have some comments to say about this version and the galactic renderings.

Fridger and Toti :

Firstly : THANKS a LOT for all your efforts. It's REALLY appreciated ! The galaxies are very nice (vastly better, actually), despite some crittics to be described below.

Now about thee crittics :

1- The galaxy template used for the Milky Way is an horror ! By default, it shouldn't be that one. This barred spiral is much too simplisitc and ugly. I think the original template used was much closer to the real thing.

2- The same barred spiral as in crittic #1 is very ugly for all other barred spirals. It just doesn't look natural or accurate. In my humble opinion, this template should be redone completely. It looks distorded in some way.

3- The luminosity variation while rotating around a galaxy isn't right. There are too much variations. As seen from some angles, the galaxy may almost completely disappears from the screen ! I think there's a bug here. It's obvious to me that something is wrong in the code.

4- The central galactic blob is way too faint, too transparent for most galaxies. It should be an almost opaque blob of light. There are simply not enough of those small gray spheres (granules ? small blobs ?) in there.

Well, that's all for the moment.
"Well! I've often seen a cat without a grin", thought Alice; "but a grin without a cat! It's the most curious thing I ever saw in all my life!"

Boux
With us: 20 years 1 month

Post #82by Boux » 13.10.2005, 19:27

Sh*t! :evil:
Three attempts to d/l the tar ball that stall between 90 and 97% done.
This server is a pain in the a$$!

Topic author
t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 6 months

Post #83by t00fri » 13.10.2005, 19:31

Hi all,

here is an intermediate status report about reported bugs in FT1.1:

fixed

1) Sync Orbit bug (Y) for galaxies only
2) double-labels bug (spotted by Hank)
3) improved gcc 4.x compilation (XCode 2.1 friendly)

confirmed

1) flickering and lack of rendering of deep sky add-ons under WINDOWS only. All works fine under Linux.

NOT confirmed

1) Daniels long loading times for 16k large textures
2) ElChristou's "NY from the sky at night" ;-)

Bye Fridger
Last edited by t00fri on 13.10.2005, 19:49, edited 2 times in total.

Topic author
t00fri
Developer

Post #84by t00fri » 13.10.2005, 19:40

Cham,

just some simple comments about your comments ;-)

+++++++++++++++
1) The task that we are facing is NOT to get a few particular galaxies /perfectly right/ but rather to get 10000+ galaxies mostly right! Never forget that!
+++++++++++++++

2) Our SBc template is computer-mapped from a famous SBc galaxy!

3) The Milky Way is actually SBbc (instead of SBc right now) , which would imply more and fainter arms than SBc. At present, we are limited however to the main seven Hubble classes for spirals with subclasses coming in FT2...

4) Possible individual (custom) templates for each galaxy will be implemented in FT2, hence together with Toti's more easy-to-use vectorizer a new window for people's creativity will be opened soon.

5) A compensation of luminosity variation artefacts e.g. for edge-on view of galaxies, can only be effected for the default setting of brightness. As soon as brightness levels are changed (increased!) e.g. due to incorrectly adjusted monitors, the compensation must fail!

Bye Fridger

Cham wrote:I downloaded the FT1.1 version for OS X compiled by Steven. I have some comments to say about this version and the galactic renderings.

Fridger and Toti :

Firstly : THANKS a LOT for all your efforts. It's REALLY appreciated ! The galaxies are very nice (vastly better, actually), despite some crittics to be described below.

Now about thee crittics :

1- The galaxy template used for the Milky Way is an horror ! By default, it shouldn't be that one. This barred spiral is much too simplisitc and ugly. I think the original template used was much closer to the real thing.

2- The same barred spiral as in crittic #1 is very ugly for all other barred spirals. It just doesn't look natural or accurate. In my humble opinion, this template should be redone completely. It looks distorded in some way.

3- The luminosity variation while rotating around a galaxy isn't right. There are too much variations. As seen from some angles, the galaxy may almost completely disappears from the screen ! I think there's a bug here. It's obvious to me that something is wrong in the code.

4- The central galactic blob is way too faint, too transparent for most galaxies. It should be an almost opaque blob of light. There are simply not enough of those small gray spheres (granules ? small blobs ?) in there.

Well, that's all for the moment.

ElChristou
Developer
With us: 19 years 7 months

Post #85by ElChristou » 13.10.2005, 19:54

t00fri wrote:NOT confirmed

1) Daniels long loading times for 16k large textures
2) ElChristou's "NY from the sky at night" ;-)

Forget point 2, it was just a really bad joke as you said :wink:

Things are pretty nice, I love the new dimension this catalogue gives to Celestia...
As Cham sometime I feel the templates could be better (sic :oops:), but as you said above, I will wait the Toti tool to customize templates on FT1.2 to enter complety in this topic...
Again Tx to both for this BIG step.

Toti
Developer
With us: 20 years 7 months

Post #86by Toti » 13.10.2005, 20:04

ElChristou wrote:Oh, look, NY from the sky at night!! :wink:

Ok just a funny bug, I'm sure because I'm using old templates... this afternoon I will download the total new package...

I confirm you are using old templates, and also an old catalogue (it's Fridger's first one with only one name per object)

ElChristou
Developer
With us: 19 years 7 months

Post #87by ElChristou » 13.10.2005, 20:11

Toti wrote:I confirm you are using old templates, and also an old catalogue (it's Fridger's first one with only one name per object)

Yep, was my first test with only the app (quickly downloaded at Steven page) with the first templates/catalogues released... Guys, don't loose more time on this. Tx.

Toti
Developer

Post #88by Toti » 13.10.2005, 22:06

Cham wrote: 4- The central galactic blob is way too faint, too transparent for most galaxies. It should be an almost opaque blob of light. There are simply not enough of those small gray spheres (granules ? small blobs ?) in there.

We discussed this one several times already. Certainly it wouldn't be difficult to add some denser areas towards the object's center but this implies an increasing cost in performance that low end systems can't afford.
The current rendering technique gives acceptable results for the most basic hardware setup but has its own very obvious drawbacks. The best approach would be to implement different algorithms depending on the render path used; this way owners of better cards would enjoy vastly improved views.
This is of course planned.

danielj
With us: 21 years 1 month

Post #89by danielj » 13.10.2005, 23:05

It should be this.But I don??t understand very much.Look:
16k*8 bits=128 Mbytes.

t00fri wrote:
danielj wrote:Celestia FT 1.1 can??t support high resolution textures.At least 16k .JPG textures don??t work.
When I load some high resolution textures to the hires folder,Celestia starts to take ages to load.Actually,it didn??t load at all.
Maybe a 128 MB video card can??t afford 16 k non compressed textures.Is it???f so,i would like to understand why.

I just checked the loading of a 16k mars.jpg texture with FT1.1 in WINDOWS which from the point of hitting G (goto) took <20 sec to display. That is a perfectly normal goto + loading time for a SOLID (non-tiled) 16k JPG texture.

There is really no understandable reason whatsoever why FT1.1 should be different in large texture loading times, since we never touched that part of Celestia.

But of course with a graphics card that has ONLY 128MB of RAM one should better refrain from loading 16k textures. You really need 256MB for this. I recommend to use VT's for such resolutions.

Bye Fridger

christoria
With us: 20 years 10 months

New Error...

Post #90by christoria » 13.10.2005, 23:10

So I downloaded and posted an error early on, then I found the solution. This version FT1.1 seems to have trouble NOT displaying labels on anything called "OpenCluster", even if labels are off. I just renamed them all to "Nebula" and it fixed itself. Anyone else get this issue?
Thank you,

christoria
-------------
Your stomach has to produce a new layer of mucus every two weeks; otherwise it will digest itself.

symaski62
With us: 20 years 4 months

Post #91by symaski62 » 13.10.2005, 23:31

t00fri wrote:

http://nho.ohn.free.fr/celestia/preview/M84bug.jpg (IMG1)

Ok just a funny bug, I'm sure because I'm using old templates... this afternoon I will download the total new package...

That's a little bit of a BAD joke!

Here is how M84 looks in FT1.1:

http://www.celestiaproject.net/~t00fri/images/m84-cel.jpg (IMG2)

ElChristou's display engine must be ages old, since it didn't even show the alternative names of M84! M84 is a beautifully round E1 galaxy and great fun to explore at close distance...

Bye Fridger

img1 => apparent magnitude (-2.9)
img2 => ------------------------ (10.0)

^^ error Apparent magnitude panne !

:?
windows 10 directX 12 version
celestia 1.7.0 64 bits
with a general handicap of 80% and it makes much d' efforts for the community and s' expimer, thank you d' to be understanding.

Topic author
t00fri
Developer

Post #92by t00fri » 13.10.2005, 23:45

symaski62 wrote:
t00fri wrote:

http://nho.ohn.free.fr/celestia/preview/M84bug.jpg (IMG1)

That's a little bit of a BAD joke!

Here is how M84 looks in FT1.1:

http://www.celestiaproject.net/~t00fri/images/m84-cel.jpg (IMG2)

ElChristou's display engine must be ages old, since it didn't even show the alternative names of M84! M84 is a beautifully round E1 galaxy and great fun to explore at close distance...

Bye Fridger

img1 => apparent magnitude (-2.9)
img2 => ------------------------ (10.0)

^^ error Apparent magnitude panne !

:?

My god WHY!?

The two images are taken from VASTLY different distances of the observer to the galaxy. That's all.

Code: Select all

Img1: Distance 69.951 Kpc  appMag -2.9
Img2: Distance 16.950 Mpc appMag 10.0

Usually we don't make such trivial errors ;-)

Bye Fridger

symaski62
With us: 20 years 4 months

Post #93by symaski62 » 14.10.2005, 00:02

ElChristou => error appMag -2.9

symaski62
img1 => 69.951Kpc appMag -1.9
img2 => 16.950 Mpc appMag 10.0

:wink: M 84 galaxies :)
windows 10 directX 12 version
celestia 1.7.0 64 bits
with a general handicap of 80% and it makes much d' efforts for the community and s' expimer, thank you d' to be understanding.

Toti
Developer

Post #94by Toti » 14.10.2005, 00:07

So I downloaded and posted an error early on, then I found the solution. This version FT1.1 seems to have trouble NOT displaying labels on anything called "OpenCluster", even if labels are off. I just renamed them all to "Nebula" and it fixed itself. Anyone else get this issue?

If a certain DSO type rendering is disabled (eg galaxy) the respective labels won't be rendered.

This has been corrected (along with the double-labels bug) to match the standard behaviour: now rendering of DSOs and DSO labels are entirely independent as it ought to be.

christoria
With us: 20 years 10 months

Post #95by christoria » 14.10.2005, 01:01

My problem was, it was rendering "OpenCluster" labels even with all labels off. I'm glad it's fixed. Thank you.
Thank you,

christoria

-------------

Your stomach has to produce a new layer of mucus every two weeks; otherwise it will digest itself.

John Van Vliet
With us: 22 years 1 month

re

Post #96by John Van Vliet » 14.10.2005, 01:18

the precompiled .exe installs just fine

Also i found a small compile bug for windows visual studio .net ( 2002)
in dsooctree.h see the files below
there is a redefination

//                    dsooctree.h
// C++ Interface: dsooctree
//
// Description:
//
//
// Author: Toti <root@totibox>, (C) 2005
//
// Copyright: See COPYING file that comes with this distribution
//
//

#ifndef _DSOOCTREE_H_
#define _DSOOCTREE_H_

#include <celengine/deepskyobj.h>
#include <celengine/octree.h>

typedef DynamicOctree  <DeepSkyObject*, double> DynamicDSOOctree;
typedef StaticOctree   <DeepSkyObject*, double> DSOOctree;
typedef OctreeProcessor<DeepSkyObject*, double> DSOHandler;
         // coment this out-see below
/* ............................................................................
template<>
void DSOOctree::processVisibleObjects(DSOHandler&    processor,
                                      const Point3d& obsPosition,
                                      const Planef*  frustumPlanes,
                                      const float    limitingFactor,
                                      const double   scale) const;

template<>
void DSOOctree::processCloseObjects(DSOHandler&    processor,
                                    const Point3d& obsPosition,
                                    const double   boundingRadius,
                                    const double   scale) const;
......................................................................................
*/
#endif  // _DSOOCTREE_H_

and the same thing for staroctree.h

//                staroctree.h
// C++ Interface: staroctree
//
// Description:
//
//
// Author: Toti <root@totibox>, (C) 2005
//
// Copyright: See COPYING file that comes with this distribution
//
//

#ifndef _STAROCTREE_H_
#define _STAROCTREE_H_

#include <celengine/star.h>
#include <celengine/octree.h>

typedef DynamicOctree  <Star, float> DynamicStarOctree;
typedef StaticOctree   <Star, float> StarOctree;
typedef OctreeProcessor<Star, float> StarHandler;
         // comment out below
/*  .................................................................
template<>
void StarOctree::processVisibleObjects(StarHandler&   processor,
                                       const Point3f& obsPosition,
                                       const Planef*  frustumPlanes,
                                       const float    limitingFactor,
                                       const float    scale) const;

template<>
void StarOctree::processCloseObjects(StarHandler&   processor,
                                     const Point3f& obsPosition,
                                     const float    boundingRadius,
                                     const float    scale) const;
*/  ..............................................................................
#endif  // _STAROCTREE_H_

Toti
Developer

Post #97by Toti » 14.10.2005, 02:02

John,

Yes they are superfluous redeclarations. Does VisualStudio complain? I didn't notice any GCC warnings...

Anyways thanks for spotting those. Code is cleaner now.

John Van Vliet
With us: 22 years 1 month

re

Post #98by John Van Vliet » 14.10.2005, 05:50

yes visiual stuido did through en error on the redef's and was easy to track down the source of sed error

However after the small change it dose build

or full size 1024x693
http://johnscelestiapage.no-ip.com/photos/youarehear.png

i still am having a prob with gcc 4.0.1 and gcc32 still throughing the same error on fedora 4

Topic author
t00fri
Developer

Post #99by t00fri » 14.10.2005, 06:37

symaski62 wrote:

ElChristou => error appMag -2.9

symaski62
img1 => 69.951Kpc appMag -1.9
img2 => 16.950 Mpc appMag 10.0

:wink: M 84 galaxies :)

I knew you would find this also ;-)

I changed the distance definition slightly between the OLD version that ELChristou used and FT1, FT1.1! In the OLD version the distance was defined from the observer to the BORDER of the galaxy, while in FT1.1 its from the observer to the CENTER of the galaxy! You can easily check it yourself...

Bye Fridger

Toti
Developer

Post #100by Toti » 14.10.2005, 13:49

John wrote:i still am having a prob with gcc 4.0.1 and gcc32 still throughing the same error on fedora 4

What are the error messages?
Have you read this thread?
http://shatters.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8121

With those modifications apparently it compiles with GCC 4.0

Return to “Celestia Users”