Weird thing

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.

Weird thing

Post #1by Guest » 10.09.2002, 01:44

8O

If u accel the time a lot the moon crashes on earth... will this happen one day or just a bug? :D

I got a picture here.. but i dont have an url to show it... :cry:

billybob884
With us: 22 years 1 month

Post #2by billybob884 » 10.09.2002, 03:01

I think this is supposed to happen, but the way the orbit changes, I think, is a bug.
Mike M.

TacoTopia!

selden
Developer
With us: 22 years

Post #3by selden » 10.09.2002, 04:37

As best I can tell, this is a bug that Chris is already aware of. Orbits go crazy if you go far into the future. For example, the orbital track of the moon turns into discontinuous scribbles and the moon jumps in and out of hyperspace as it goes around the earth :)
Selden

chris
Site Admin
With us: 22 years 7 months

Post #4by chris » 10.09.2002, 05:05

I just fixed this . . . The same problems used to occur with all the planets. I just forgot to apply the fix to the Moon's orbit. Thanks for catching this one . . .

--Chris

Rassilon

Post #5by Rassilon » 10.09.2002, 05:20

Why not keep it and add an explosion hehe that would be cool...
I'm trying to teach the cavemen how to play scrabble, its uphill work. The only word they know is Uhh and they dont know how to spell it!

Don. Edwards

Post #6by Don. Edwards » 10.09.2002, 06:01

Because the moon isn't going to hit the earth. Earth's gravity well also known as the rouche limit will crush the moon. Earth will get a nice ring instead of a moon as the rubble smooths out in orbit. Besides something the size of the moon hitting the earth would cause severe damage to the planet. Posibly breaking large pieces off in the process that would create new moons. They believe the moon was formed because another planetoid about the size of mars hit the earth and shattered it. Earth reformed and the debries became the moon. Hmmm sounds like that line about what was in the past is in the future.

High Dark Templar
With us: 22 years 3 months

The moon distance is getting bigger

Post #7by High Dark Templar » 10.09.2002, 16:14

The real fact is that the moon distance is getting bigger ( I remeber 3 cms/year) this is because the conservation of the angular momentum and the tides that slow down the earth rotation. ( the day had only 18 hours 900 million years ago and the moon was much more near of the earth).

Eventually the earth's rotation will slow down to where it keeps only one face towards the Moon (like in Pluto Charon system) and the angular size will be much smaller than the sun and we will not have any more total solar eclipses. But don't worry there are much time for this to happend.

The conclusion is that the moon will never hit the earth. I hope this clear all your doubts, if not... ask me for the formulae. :wink:

chris
Site Admin

Post #8by chris » 10.09.2002, 17:49

Rassilon wrote:Why not keep it and add an explosion hehe that would be cool...

Too late . . . it's already fixed :>

--Chris

Rassilon

Post #9by Rassilon » 10.09.2002, 20:09

damn...

Don. Edwards wrote:Because the moon isn't going to hit the earth. Earth's gravity well also known as the rouche limit will crush the moon. Earth will get a nice ring instead of a moon as the rubble smooths out in orbit. Besides something the size of the moon hitting the earth would cause severe damage to the planet. Posibly breaking large pieces off in the process that would create new moons. They believe the moon was formed because another planetoid about the size of mars hit the earth and shattered it. Earth reformed and the debries became the moon. Hmmm sounds like that line about what was in the past is in the future.

Yeah not to mention all life being extinquished on impact...Makes me think of the crumbling moon in the Time Machine :mrgreen:
I'm trying to teach the cavemen how to play scrabble, its uphill work. The only word they know is Uhh and they dont know how to spell it!

t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 5 months

Post #10by t00fri » 10.09.2002, 20:20

Rassilon wrote:Why not keep it and add an explosion hehe that would be cool...

Which again leads to the urgent question:

"What is located between t00fri's chair and his keyboard, h?, h??"

Bye Fridger ;-)

Don. Edwards

Post #11by Don. Edwards » 11.09.2002, 12:02

Well by the time the moon gets that far away, earth will be as hot as hell and the sun will probably have melted the moon anyway. Its not like we are going to around to see it. Hopefully by then we as a speices will have our act together and be a long way off in a safe new star systems. If not we certainly won't be around to see the end when it comes. There are only two outcomes for are speices. We die here on earth or we get our butts into outer space and start colonizing. I would hope that the powers that be in the future generations get the heads out of certain orifices and see the light of day. Only time will tell.

Post #12by Guest » 13.09.2002, 11:45

Can we go back in time? I want to see the big bang :D

Sum0
With us: 22 years 6 months

Post #13by Sum0 » 13.09.2002, 16:20

Don. Edwards wrote:They believe the moon was formed because another planetoid about the size of mars hit the earth and shattered it. Earth reformed and the debries became the moon.

First impact, anyone? :D :D :D
Sorry, but I just had to...
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

erostosthenes

Weird thing

Post #14by erostosthenes » 16.09.2002, 08:29

the moon is slowly moving away from the earth for a seemingly complex reason, but not too complex. as the moon exerts a tidal pull on the earth's surface, a bulge (imperceptably small) appears on the surface facing the moon. however, since the earth rotates much faster than the moon orbits the earth, this bulge moves along ahead of the moon before subsiding, so the net effect over time is a bulge on the surface of the earth just leading the surface facing the moon by a fractional amount. this bulge then pulls the moon forward in its orbit, giving it the extra translational energy that goes into increasing its orbit.

Ortolan
With us: 22 years 5 months

Post #15by Ortolan » 16.09.2002, 09:20

First impact, anyone?
Sorry, but I just had to..

Is that an Evangelion reference? :D

Rassilon

Post #16by Rassilon » 16.09.2002, 16:09

Don. Edwards wrote:Well by the time the moon gets that far away, earth will be as hot as hell and the sun will probably have melted the moon anyway. Its not like we are going to around to see it. Hopefully by then we as a speices will have our act together and be a long way off in a safe new star systems. If not we certainly won't be around to see the end when it comes. There are only two outcomes for are speices. We die here on earth or we get our butts into outer space and start colonizing. I would hope that the powers that be in the future generations get the heads out of certain orifices and see the light of day. Only time will tell.

Nah never happen....Man by nature has a tendency to destroy himself....Maybe if there is some sort of mental evolution...one that seperates us now from the apes that would in turn seperate us from the higher evolved man...Maybe then only time will tell....

Sum0
With us: 22 years 6 months

Post #17by Sum0 » 16.09.2002, 16:31

Ortolan wrote:
First impact, anyone?
Sorry, but I just had to..

Is that an Evangelion reference? :D

:twisted:

....Man by nature has a tendency to destroy himself....

Are you sure that Rassilon hasn't got anything to do with a certain Commander Ikari?
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Rassilon

Post #18by Rassilon » 16.09.2002, 16:50

LOL nah...

Return to “Celestia Users”