What's going on ???

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
Topic author
ElChristou
Developer
With us: 19 years 7 months

Post #21by ElChristou » 07.09.2005, 20:00

Cham wrote:Ptarmigan,
...Your post has now destroyed that topic :evil:

No no, Ptarmigan had something to say and we are in democratie... good.

Now people can continue their post on the topic.

selden
Developer
With us: 22 years

Post #22by selden » 07.09.2005, 20:15

Gentle folk,

Please let me remind you that many people trying to contribute to this thread and to Celestia are not native speakers of English. A short sentence is not enough to make sense to most readers. You cannot assume that the meanings of the words as you learned them are exactly the same as the way someone else learned them in a different country. You should try to write the idea you are presenting in at least two different ways so that others do not misunderstand you.

Too often, a short declarative sentence seems belligerant and antagnoistic to someone who cannot see and hear you, even when that was not what you intended. If you cannot take the time to paraphrase your idea or question, then perhaps you should consider not posting it. Misunderstandings are too common and usually are unnecessary.

Be nice.

There, did I say it in enough different ways? :)
Selden

selden
Developer
With us: 22 years

Post #23by selden » 07.09.2005, 20:17

And to provide something directly on topic, I've been working on an Addon about Project Orion. Some very preliminary pictures are available at

http://www.lepp.cornell.edu/~seb/celestia/orion/
Selden

Cham M
With us: 20 years 8 months

Post #24by Cham » 07.09.2005, 20:26

I'm thinking about creating 3D models of some of the recent probes sent to space. But I need info and detailed pictures on them. Do you guys have an idea ? What are the interesting probes for which no model are currently available for Celestia ?
"Well! I've often seen a cat without a grin", thought Alice; "but a grin without a cat! It's the most curious thing I ever saw in all my life!"

Topic author
ElChristou
Developer
With us: 19 years 7 months

Post #25by ElChristou » 07.09.2005, 20:41

selden wrote:...Please let me remind you that many people trying to contribute to this thread and to Celestia are not native speakers of English. A short sentence is not enough to make sense to most readers. You cannot assume that the meanings of the words as you learned them are exactly the same as the way someone else learned them in a different country. You should try to write the idea you are presenting in at least two different ways so that others do not misunderstand you.

Too often, a short declarative sentence seems belligerant and antagnoistic to someone who cannot see and hear you, even when that was not what you intended. If you cannot take the time to paraphrase your idea or question, then perhaps you should consider not posting it. Misunderstandings are too common and usually are unnecessary...

Right, I won't use anymore some kind of ??? sentences...
(between us, the ??? was enought explicit for me and apparently for everybody here, whatever the underneath meaning...)

Cham wrote:I'm thinking about creating 3D models of some of the recent probes sent to space. But I need info and detailed pictures on them. Do you guys have an idea ? What are the interesting probes for which no model are currently available for Celestia ?

Well, what about a new thread to collect ideas? then perhaps a poll to decide?[/quote]

ANDREA
With us: 22 years 4 months

Post #26by ANDREA » 07.09.2005, 21:43

Cham wrote:I'm thinking about creating 3D models of some of the recent probes sent to space. But I need info and detailed pictures on them. Do you guys have an idea ? What are the interesting probes for which no model are currently available for Celestia ?

Cham, I gave my little help to ElChristou for some of his modelling projects (Mercury, Gemini, Vostok 1), and to Jestr for his "monster" HST. :D
Instead of searching for something "new", if you give a look to Motherlode, you'll see that, even if already realized some time ago, there are many milestones of space history that should merit a bit more attention, or at least should be considered under the optic that, while two-three years ago a 500 Kb addon was a big one, now it's only a tiny, poor model.
The power of our graphic cards increased a lot, so now models of the Skylab, Apollo, LEM, Agena, and so on, could be realized and used with more detail and attention to the real object. :wink:
If you want, as I already told, I can give you my help, searching the images and documents you can need for the purpose.
Bye

Andrea :D
"Something is always better than nothing!"
HP Omen 15-DC1040nl- Intel® Core i7 9750H, 2.6/4.5 GHz- 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD+ 1TB SATA 6 SSD- 32GB SDRAM DDR4 2666 MHz- Nvidia GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB-WIN 11 PRO

WildMoon
With us: 19 years

My projects...

Post #27by WildMoon » 07.09.2005, 22:27

I am working on my own solar system about 5 light years from Earth. There are only three problems :? :

1. I suck at drawing, whether on paper or paint. In other words, when I put this on the Celestia motherlode it'll look sucky. Hopefully no one will mind about this one. :oops:

2. Celestia keeps refusing to show any planets other than the first one. :x

3. Celestia also will not show my star as being blue. :x

:cry:
Pi does not equal 3.14159265, it equals "yum!"

A world without Monty Python, gnomes, news crews that make a big deal out of a celebrity breathing, Star Trek, & Coca-Cola? That is impossible! IMPOSSIBLE!

t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 6 months

Re: My projects...

Post #28by t00fri » 07.09.2005, 22:49

WildMoon wrote:

Never mind, the Forum displays your posts in a pretty clean blue ;-) . I feel "convinced" by your blue text before even reading it ;-)

Bye Fridger

Cham M

Re: My projects...

Post #29by Cham » 07.09.2005, 22:53

t00fri wrote:
WildMoon wrote:

Never mind, the Forum displays your posts in a pretty clean blue ;-) . I feel "convinced" by your blue text before even reading it ;-)

Bye Fridger

ROTFL ! LOL !
"Well! I've often seen a cat without a grin", thought Alice; "but a grin without a cat! It's the most curious thing I ever saw in all my life!"

Cham M

Post #30by Cham » 07.09.2005, 23:06

ANDREA wrote:Instead of searching for something "new", if you give a look to Motherlode, you'll see that, even if already realized some time ago, there are many milestones of space history that should merit a bit more attention, or at least should be considered under the optic that, while two-three years ago a 500 Kb addon was a big one, now it's only a tiny, poor model.

If you want, as I already told, I can give you my help, searching the images and documents you can need for the purpose.

To me, most of the old models are already pretty good. I'm satisfied with the Skylab, for example. However, the russian vehicles and probes needs a lot more attention. I already tried to make a good reprresentation of some Luna probe in the past (it's on the Motherlode).

Here's my point of view on models associated to real spacecrafts : I'm not really that interested in ultra realistic, high polygonal models for any real spacecraft. A good "schematic" model may be enough to understand its aspect and uses. I just hate to recognise any triangle on the mesh. So the "schematic" representation must be very precise, not crude. However, I don't need an ultra-realistic version either (I don't have ElChristou's skills at 3D modeling, anyway).

For fantasy and fictious, stuff, I have the opposite opinion : they must be as realistic as possible, precisely because they are fictious.

WildMoon
With us: 19 years

Post #31by WildMoon » 07.09.2005, 23:56

Then you're probably not gonna want to download my stuff since it's very...um...cartoony. Unless you're looking for solar systems where your favorite cartoons live or you just don't care. I hope that as soon as I can solve the problem of only one planet appearing in my solar system and send my design to the motherlode that somebody will download it. :wink:
Pi does not equal 3.14159265, it equals "yum!"

A world without Monty Python, gnomes, news crews that make a big deal out of a celebrity breathing, Star Trek, & Coca-Cola? That is impossible! IMPOSSIBLE!

BlindedByTheLight
With us: 19 years 6 months

Post #32by BlindedByTheLight » 08.09.2005, 06:04

I am maintaing a website (courtesy of El Christou) of recent builds off CVS and a few third party patches (courtesy of doctorjoe).
Steven Binder, Mac OS X 10.4.10

Rassilon
With us: 22 years 8 months

Post #33by Rassilon » 08.09.2005, 14:30

Recently I have been working on websites for some cash to keep my head above water....

As far as Celestia Ive decided to start working some on the new addon I have planned....Ive been throwing a few ideas around and I think I have an idea where to start....Also I have some plans to update terraform to support PNG files to make it easier on those without the gimp...

Ive also been throwing around in my head how to make procedural craters using perlin noise....

Ive also been toying with the idea of making my own zombie game in the vein of the original Dawn of the Dead since none of them really keep true to the genere....Oops thats not Celestia ;)
I'm trying to teach the cavemen how to play scrabble, its uphill work. The only word they know is Uhh and they dont know how to spell it!

bdm
With us: 19 years 2 months

Post #34by bdm » 09.09.2005, 01:33

I'm working on several systems for a sci-fi worldbuilding project. The stars are real but the planets are not. I'm focusing on getting the SSC files right, thus I am neglecting such matters as textures and models. I have created textures for selected worlds, but with over 100 worlds in all (including assorted moons) I won't be doing individual textures or models for all of them. It's tough enough just naming them all.

I have borrowed some textures from other people. I cannot release anything until every texture is credited properly.

My current avatar is a view from one of these planets.

Michael Kilderry
With us: 19 years 11 months

Post #35by Michael Kilderry » 10.09.2005, 06:28

WildMoon wrote:Then you're probably not gonna want to download my stuff since it's very...um...cartoony. Unless you're looking for solar systems where your favorite cartoons live or you just don't care. I hope that as soon as I can solve the problem of only one planet appearing in my solar system and send my design to the motherlode that somebody will download it. :wink:

Don't worry too much about your solar systems looking cartoony, the first planets I created for Celestia looked cartoonish too. (eg. Jovalera of the Lera System), you've just got to keep on making the planet textures and you'll get better.

My completed addons:
--------------------------
Lera Solar System
Proxima Centauri: Part One

My In-Progress Addons:
---------------------------
Proxima Centauri: Part Two (Aurora and Poseidon)
Rigel Kenaturus A&B
Fictional 2k KBO Textures
My shatters.net posting milestones:

First post - 11th October 2004
100th post - 11th November 2004
200th post - 23rd January 2005
300th post - 21st February 2005
400th post - 23rd July 2005

First addon: The Lera Solar System

- Michael

eburacum45
With us: 20 years 10 months

Post #36by eburacum45 » 10.09.2005, 07:25

Some projects I am working on for Orion's Arm;
a moon base
http://img66.imageshack.us/img66/8664/zapod0fq.jpg

a version of the Space Elevator going down to Indonesia, with passengers
http://img66.imageshack.us/img66/9678/elevator7tj.jpg

a pair of Klemperer's rosettes
http://img66.imageshack.us/img66/9871/aolai1jv.png

an asteroid dome
http://img66.imageshack.us/img66/2391/gandhi2px.jpg

a Smoke ring (anyone read The Integral Trees?)
http://img66.imageshack.us/img66/2347/nivencloud4ga.jpg

A Macaroni world
http://img66.imageshack.us/img66/7485/cableville1ek.jpg
what? never heard of them?
They are a kind of ring world, only a few thousand kilometers in diameter, but extended into a tube millions of kilometers long, then looped around the local star in a geometric figure called a 'torus knot'; lovely things...

22 Kalliope
http://img66.imageshack.us/img66/6213/linus9ft.jpg

this is a model for the Arcbuilders Universe.

Malenfant
With us: 19 years 1 month

Post #37by Malenfant » 10.09.2005, 08:32

eburacum45 wrote:a Smoke ring (anyone read The Integral Trees?)
http://img66.imageshack.us/img66/2347/nivencloud4ga.jpg

I haven't read it - what is this?

eburacum45
With us: 20 years 10 months

Post #38by eburacum45 » 10.09.2005, 08:43

Larry Niven wrote a science fiction story based in a solar system with a ring of breathable atmosphere around the star at a habitable distance;
he called it the Smoke Ring;
the densest part of the ring is capable of supporting life in zero gee. The Integral trees of the title are trees shaped like an integral sign, floating in the atmosphere.

Niven described the ring as being shepherded by a companion object;

in the version I have made, the ring of atmosphere is shepherded instead by quadrillions of tiny robots called foglets.

Rocket Man
With us: 19 years 8 months

Post #39by Rocket Man » 15.09.2005, 20:04

For me I trying to detail some models I made in the past and some new ones, Like right now I'm trying to align my geo-synch stations, while trying to design some starships for a human space conflict.

Also still working on the Solar System Buetr, and with Solar System [MT91] 902.

And with school in the way, it will kinda a slow progress. RM.
"Knowledge is truth of reality, Wisdom is the reality of the truth."
-Rocket Man

Cormoran
With us: 21 years 2 months

Post #40by Cormoran » 15.09.2005, 20:31

Hi folks,

Currently I'm working on perfecting an Asteroid belt generator for the system builders out there. John Dollan has been the recipient of some of its output which can be seen as part of his Alpha Centauri A system add-on. Further work is required to make the program a little more configurable (to accept a user-provided list of available models on their system, since I can't get a decent looking asteroid except those in the base build). I'd say its at about 90% there.

Based on the above, I'm experimenting with a ring-particle generator. Anyone who remembers the NASA animations from Voyager passing through Saturn's rings will remember that lovely moment when the ring particles streak past. That's the effect I'm looking for, but need some very low-polygon models to keep up the frame rate, so that's something I need to get to. 70% done right now.

Also thinking of stripping some code out of my old solar system generator to create decent-sized families of moons around gas-giants. Current progress is about 50%.

Windows executables will be available for these, and source code for those who want it on request.

0% but a nice idea is based on a book I obtained called 'The Dream Machines' by Ron Miller. It contains a LOT of preliminary designs for the shuttle, paths not taken in the US space program such as Phil Bono's wonderful ROMBUS booster and its descendants, and stuff like that.

I may have been quiet, but I've not been THAT idle :lol:

best regards,

Jon
'...Gold planets, Platinum Planets, Soft rubber planets with lots of earthquakes....' The HitchHikers Guide to the Galaxy, Page 634784, Section 5a. Entry: Magrathea

Return to “Celestia Users”