Problem with nVIDIA driver installation

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
Topic author
Andy74 M
With us: 20 years 2 months

Problem with nVIDIA driver installation

Post #1by Andy74 » 12.09.2005, 22:29

Hello.

I've got a new toshiba notebook (1.6 GHz intel centrino, 512 MByte RAM, Win XP Professional SP2) with a nVIDIA GeForce Go 6600.
For Celestia, I wanted to install the latest drivers.
So I visited nvidia.com and downloaded 78.01_winxp2k_international_whql.exe.
Following the installation hints from the website and running the downloaded exe file, after extracting some files, I received the following error message:
(in German)
"Das NVIDIA Setup-Programm konnte keine Treiber finden, die mit der aktuellen Hardware kompatibel sind. Das Installationsprogramm wird jetzt beendet."
(translation in English)
"The NVIDIA setup program couldn't find any drivers compatible with the current hardware. The installation program is now terminated."
Unfortunately I couldn't find any answer to this problem at nvidia.com.
Maybe one of the experienced guys here in the forum has an idea?
Is it possibly a known problem?
Any help is appreciated.
Thanks

Andy

selden
Developer
With us: 22 years

Post #2by selden » 12.09.2005, 23:08

Graphics drivers for laptops must be downloaded from the Web site of the company that made the laptop, not from Nvidia. The different companies use different "glue logic" to interface to the graphics chips, so Nvidia's generic drivers can't work.

Plugin graphics cards that use Nvidia chips all are based on Nvidia's "reference designs" and all use the same interface circuitry, unlike laptops.

Sorry.
Selden

Topic author
Andy74 M
With us: 20 years 2 months

Post #3by Andy74 » 13.09.2005, 08:55

Selden,

thank you very much for your reply.
At the toshiba site I found appropriate drivers for my notebook. They are from June 2005, thus newer than the drivers that were installed before. The installation worked without further problems. :D
Thanks again

Andy

Return to “Celestia Users”