Use of educational activities and alternate textures

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
Topic author
arthurav2005
With us: 19 years 1 month

Use of educational activities and alternate textures

Post #1by arthurav2005 » 31.08.2005, 14:02

Why can't I use alternate textures of the earth if I'm using the celestia.cfg from the educational activities???

ar81
With us: 19 years 3 months

Post #2by ar81 » 31.08.2005, 20:10

As far as I know educational CFG changes directory references. So you might have to edit CFG to bring it back to normal.

fsgregs
With us: 21 years 11 months

Post #3by fsgregs » 02.09.2005, 00:33

Dear Arthur:

You can use an alternative texture for Earth without editing the educational celestia.cfg file, if you treat it as an add-on. Then, you can paste the add-on into the educational-extras folder, and it will appear as an alternative texture in the menu if you right-click on Earth. Here's what you do:

Create a folder called "Alternative Earth textures". Inside it, create a 2nd folder named "textures". Inside that folder, create a 3rd folder called "medres". Paste your alternative textures in that medres folder.

Inside the Alternative Earth textures folder, create a new ssc file by copying and pasting the following into an existing ssc file, and saving it under a new name.

AltSurface "Texture name" "Sol/Earth"
{
Texture "your texture.*"
}

Put the entire folder into "educational-extras". Then, launch Celestia and go to Earth. Right-click on Earth. Your texture will be there.

:)

Frank

Return to “Celestia Users”