quick question

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
Topic author
Ghaleon
With us: 19 years 1 month

quick question

Post #1by Ghaleon » 15.08.2005, 17:28

I'm very new to celestia. It's a phenominal program; I can't believe it took be so long to find it.

But is there any way to make the star gazing from earth control the way it does in starry night. sorry, i know it's a vague question. and i'm not sure how to phrase what i'm asking for... I found the alt-azimuth mode but the the lands still goes out of allignment when I move around too much. Again...sorry I can't be more clear.

Thanks for your time.

buggs_moran
With us: 20 years

Post #2by buggs_moran » 15.08.2005, 18:10

You can "lock" your location by slowing down time, positioning yourself at the spot on the globe you want to "stargaze" from (keep your height around 1 km) , synchronize your orbit with "Y", and use < & > for field of view.

"C" to center on a selected object, "T" to track, etc etc... I use the left mouse button to move my view around rather than the arrows. When I use this mode (for the classroom mostly) I also thow on constellations, fuzzy point for stars and automagnitude (all selectable in the menus).

I am sure I missed a few things but monkeying around with Celestia is the best way to learn. Have fun!!!!!

PS You might want to turn clouds off as they dim the view at times.
Homebrew:
WinXP Pro SP2
Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe
AMD Athlon XP 3000/333 2.16 GHz
1 GB Crucial RAM
80 GB WD SATA drive
ATI AIW 9600XT 128M

selden
Developer
With us: 22 years

Post #3by selden » 15.08.2005, 19:09

I think you're asking how to change the arrow keys so they work in alt-az mode.

Please read the "Preliminary User's FAQ", which is a "sticky" near the top of the Celestia Users Forum, especially Q/A#19
Selden

Return to “Celestia Users”