celestia and windows vs linux

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
Topic author
CVPI99
With us: 19 years 2 months

celestia and windows vs linux

Post #1by CVPI99 » 14.08.2005, 02:25

i have 2 computers desktop and a laptop i had windows on both of them celestia worked fine friend talked me into linux (mepis) on the laptop i kinda like it so far but clestia is working right at all
on earth clouds are messed up right from the begining i tryed to downlaod the jester earth mark II it worked fine with windows but all i get is a white ball with linux. im starting to think my buddy was smoking something when he said mepis is better the windows (not saying windows is good though LOL)

Christophe
Developer
With us: 22 years 2 months

Post #2by Christophe » 14.08.2005, 08:34

Well, installing linux on the laptop rather than the desktop might not have been the best idea. It's usually much more diffcult, if at all possible, to find drivers for laptop components. Anyway you apparently have problems with your video card driver, but since you're not telling us much here, it's hard to be more specific.

Also be aware that Linux being case sensitive while Windows is not often leads to problems with add-ons developped and tested only on Windows. But it's not the case here, Jester Earth Mark II works fine.

And finally, no Mepis may not be better than Windows for you. But it's all relative, it depends on what you use your computer for and what you want to do with it, and although it is not better for you it may be better for your friend.
Christophe

Topic author
CVPI99
With us: 19 years 2 months

Post #3by CVPI99 » 14.08.2005, 14:38

the laptop is an older IBM its a T30 1.4 P4 radeon 7500 16MB 30 GB hard drive 1024 MB ram it seems to run linux fine except linux and celestia hate eachother - i love windows cuz it seams to work i hate windows well cuz its microsoft i like linux cuz well so much is downlaodable i hate linux cux nothing is where i think it should be

i grew up with MS windows and now im on linux and i have no freakin clue what im doing other then looking at Kstars celestia and a table of elements i downlaoded

- and celestia is so much smother on linux then windows but ... i cant update anything

PS sorry that i was everywhere i just woke up 2 minutes ago

Christophe
Developer

Post #4by Christophe » 15.08.2005, 19:50

You should search the forums for radeon and linux, you'll see that the issue of buggy ATI drivers has been discussed at length here.

I own an NVidia card myself so I can't be more specific, but it shouldn't be too difficult finding the solution in the forums.
Christophe

John Van Vliet
With us: 22 years 1 month

re

Post #5by John Van Vliet » 16.08.2005, 02:43

well i just did a dule boot of win xp and fedora4 ,and i had a (small) bit of trouble installing celestia . first i built the tar

./configure
make&&make install
the textures were not found
then i instaled the rpm(from fedora4 wiki extras) and it worked
i still have not tried my BIG maps yet but they should work (nvida card)

Christophe
Developer

Re: re

Post #6by Christophe » 16.08.2005, 10:04

john Van Vliet wrote:./configure
make&&make install
the textures were not found

Strange, you could try specifying explicitly --prefix=... --with-lua --with-(kde|gtk|gnome) when running configure.
Christophe

John Van Vliet
With us: 22 years 1 month

re

Post #7by John Van Vliet » 17.08.2005, 05:18

well i have only ben using fedora for 4 days and celestia was the first prog. , becides the required, that i installed . My current version is a cvs build i did last night.
I do like the fact i was using mingw and cygwin for 2 years ,it shure helped in the switch to linux .

Return to “Celestia Users”