New version of Celesia

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
Topic author
ComputerHotline
With us: 19 years 1 month

New version of Celesia

Post #1by ComputerHotline » 02.06.2005, 10:54

Hello
Where I can download the new version of Celestia (I have version 1.3.2) ?
And
Does a software making it possible to calculate the laws of kepler for a moon around a gas giant exist ?

jdou
With us: 20 years 2 months

Post #2by jdou » 02.06.2005, 11:51

Salut,

Pour la 1??re question:
Si tu jettes un coup d'oeil un peu plus haut sur ce forum dans "Sticky Celestia 1.4.0 prerelease FAQ" initi?© par Chris tu trouveras ton bonheur.
Apr??s avoir install?© la version Anglaise, si tu vas sur http://celestia.myftp.org tu trouveras une version Windows de la 1.4.0 pour Franciser :D celle-ci.
Pour la 2??me question :
Euh... 8O

Jdou
P4c 3.0Ghz, 1 Gb, XP sp1, GeForce FX5700u 128 Mb, NV 93.71, Celestia 1.5.0pre2, BMNG 64k

t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 3 months

Re: New version of Celesia

Post #3by t00fri » 02.06.2005, 22:02

ComputerHotline wrote:...
And
Does a software making it possible to calculate the laws of kepler for a moon around a gas giant exist ?

Celestia does it perfectly! Put your gas giant and its moon in orbit, by specifying the orbit data in an *.ssc file. Then Celestia does the rest, including a great display!

Bye Fridger

Evil Dr Ganymede
With us: 21 years

Post #4by Evil Dr Ganymede » 03.06.2005, 03:00

t00fri wrote:
And

Celestia does it perfectly! Put your gas giant and its moon in orbit, by specifying the orbit data in an *.ssc file. Then Celestia does the rest, including a great display!

Bye Fridger

I think he's asking if he can just put a moon at a certain distance around a gas giant and have Celestia figure out the orbital period (or enter the orbital period and have Celestia figure out the orbital distance).

If so, then Celestia can't do this, because it does not incorporate the masses of objects. You'd need to calculate the orbital period or orbital distance separately and input them into the ssc file.

t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 3 months

Post #5by t00fri » 03.06.2005, 08:44

Evil Dr Ganymede wrote:
t00fri wrote:
And

Bye Fridger

I think he's asking if he can just put a moon at a certain distance around a gas giant and have Celestia figure out the orbital period (or enter the orbital period and have Celestia figure out the orbital distance).

If so, then Celestia can't do this, because it does not incorporate the masses of objects. You'd need to calculate the orbital period or orbital distance separately and input them into the ssc file.

You are probably right as to his intentions (he and I should perhaps better have communicated in French ;-) ) . But I don't see any problem with Celestia doing the required job. When you set up an elliptical orbit in an ssc file, Celestia wants the orbit period as input, which is however trivially related to the mass via Kepler's 3rd law.

Code: Select all

(m+M)P^2 = (4pi^2/G) R^3

with m <<M being the moon's small mass as compared to the star's mass M, P the orbital period, R the orbital distance and G=Newton's constant.

So using a simple pocket calculator besides Celestia, he can easily choose among his preferred input parameters: distance, (star) mass, period,...The /non-trivial/ part of Keplers equations is then solved
and displayed by Celestia.

Return to “Celestia Users”