Mac OSX Questions

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
Topic author
Dirty Laundry
With us: 19 years 1 month

Mac OSX Questions

Post #1by Dirty Laundry » 11.05.2005, 22:43

Hi,

I??m a newby with Celestia and just noticed there are some limitations with OSX and CEL 1.3.2. Therefore some questions:

1.) My grafic card seems to be an ATI radeon 9600 64MB - which textures I can use max.: 2K, 4K,...?
2.) I cannot use the URL links in the educationals - OSX matter?
3.) How to open the 7-Zip files some addons are packed with?

4.) any other OSX tips & tricks?

regards

Dirty Laundry
Powerbook 17" 1GB Mac OSX 10.3.9

dirkpitt
Developer
With us: 19 years 8 months

Post #2by dirkpitt » 12.05.2005, 11:08

1. I have a Radeon 9700 64MB, and it can do 2K. The 9600 is probably about the same.

2. I'm currently figuring out a solution to the URL problem with Frank, the maintainer of
the Educational Activities. There are two problems: 1) versions of Office earlier than Office 2004
do not handle cel:// urls, and 2) file paths are hard coded for Windows for some links.
I think the best way would be to convert the Activities to PDF format, but I've only recently
managed to figure out an efficient way to do the conversion. Expect results soon.

3. http://www.7-zip.org lists an unofficial 7-zip tool for OS X: http://www.7-zip.org/download.html.

HTH :D

Topic author
Dirty Laundry

Post #3by Dirty Laundry » 12.05.2005, 21:28

Hi Dirkpitt,

thanks for your tips, however there are some more questions:

- is it true version 1.4 will solve the cel://url-problem?
- I downloaded the unofficial 7-zip tool but cannot find any executable program in the archive, only something that opens terminal when double clicking...if it??s that then I give up - I??m a bloody user but no expert...

regards

Dirty Laundry

Topic author
Dirty Laundry

OSX Problems

Post #4by Dirty Laundry » 16.05.2005, 10:32

Hello Out there,

so many people watching the topic - noone??s there to answer?
Maybe someone knows how to run CELX scripts - they don??t work on my OSX system either...

regards

Dirty Laundry

selden
Developer
With us: 21 years 10 months

Post #5by selden » 16.05.2005, 11:36

There are only one or two people working on the Mac port of Celestia. You have to be patient, since they are busy with other things right now. It's time for final exams other end-of term activities at most colleges and universities.
Selden

dirkpitt
Developer

Post #6by dirkpitt » 16.05.2005, 21:02

Dirty Laundry wrote:thanks for your tips, however there are some more questions:

- is it true version 1.4 will solve the cel://url-problem?
- I downloaded the unofficial 7-zip tool but cannot find any executable program in the archive, only something that opens terminal when double clicking...if it??s that then I give up - I??m a bloody user but no expert...

Celestia 1.4 enables cel url clicking in web browsers (and Office, presumably), if that's what you mean. 1.3.x and earlier did not work. However, versions of Office earlier than 2004 do not handle cel urls at all.

Perhaps you could contact the author of the 7-zipped Celestia addon directly, and get him/her to post the addon (or at least make it available to you) in a more compatible format like zip or gzip. I thought that the Motherlode explicitly warns addon authors to upload in ZIP format and not some fringe format but apparently this was just a guideline...

BlindedByTheLight
With us: 19 years 3 months

Post #7by BlindedByTheLight » 18.05.2005, 21:09

Strangely... I have never had a problem clicking on links embedded in documents taking me into Celestia. However, is that the ONLY way the cel files work? Or are they supposed to be double-clickable in the Finder, also?[/quote]
Steven Binder, Mac OS X 10.4.10

dirkpitt
Developer

Post #8by dirkpitt » 19.05.2005, 02:32

BlindedByTheLight wrote:Strangely... I have never had a problem clicking on links embedded in documents taking me into Celestia. However, is that the ONLY way the cel files work? Or are they supposed to be double-clickable in the Finder, also?

.cel and .celx files, and cel:// url clippings should work from the Finder. If they don't, please let me know.

rjcraig
With us: 20 years 3 months

Mac version won't build now from CVS check-out...???

Post #9by rjcraig » 25.05.2005, 17:29

I've been busy with other things for a few months and haven't been lurking around here like before; I updated my copy of the CVS files the other day and now it won't build.

Any hints as to what I should exclude from the project? It seems the problems are in the unix directory and word-something-or-other code.

Ron

(I guess this would be better posted under Development, right?)

dirkpitt
Developer

Re: Mac version won't build now from CVS check-out...???

Post #10by dirkpitt » 25.05.2005, 23:56

rjcraig wrote:I've been busy with other things for a few months and haven't been lurking around here like before; I updated my copy of the CVS files the other day and now it won't build.

Any hints as to what I should exclude from the project? It seems the problems are in the unix directory and word-something-or-other code.

I have a fix working on my machine, and I'll commit it to CVS by this weekend.

rjcraig
With us: 20 years 3 months

Thanks!

Post #11by rjcraig » 26.05.2005, 01:20

Thanks.

I didn't have time to delve into the code when I tried building, but it looked like the WORD??? file was to import settings from the config file. Don't tell me they're moving to a doc format?! 8O

Ron

(Just kidding, of course!)

Return to “Celestia Users”