My Latest & Best Titan Texture for Download, NOW

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
Guckytos
With us: 20 years

Post #21by Guckytos » 21.03.2005, 12:02

Well just my 2 cents now.

I downloaded it also, unzipped it and went (with great anticipation) to Titan. I was quite baffled when it looked exactly the same brown ball as before.
But being a (little) bit intelligent, well not smart enough to know about the 'I' Key :oops: , i went into solarsys.ssc, found the clouds and deactivated them.

And when i now went back, i can only say WHOOOHOO

A very, very nice texture Fridger. I am glad to hear it will become a part of the official distribution. Keep up the good work.

Regards,

Guckytos

ElChristou
Developer
With us: 19 years 4 months

Post #22by ElChristou » 21.03.2005, 14:24

t00fri wrote:Bye the way...

If people want to experiment a bit with a nice Titan bump-map, and some specular illumination ...just let me know. I can always upload my 'titan-bump.png' and corresponding *.ssc 'sniplet'.

Although not supported scientifically, Titan looks graphically much more 'dynamical', i.e. simply much better ;-). 3d needs light and shadow!

Hello Fridger,

What happens to your bump-map?? have you uploaded it??

Topic author
t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 3 months

Post #23by t00fri » 21.03.2005, 17:09

ElChristou wrote:
t00fri wrote:Bye the way...

If people want to experiment a bit with a nice Titan bump-map, and some specular illumination ...just let me know. I can always upload my 'titan-bump.png' and corresponding *.ssc 'sniplet'.

Although not supported scientifically, Titan looks graphically much more 'dynamical', i.e. simply much better ;-). 3d needs light and shadow!

Hello Fridger,

What happens to your bump-map?? have you uploaded it??

;-)

No not yet. Actually during most of the past week the forum was so boringly quiet that I had decided to also spend my time on other things than Celestia...

Perhaps I'll get around tonight to upload the stuff...

Bye Fridger

NeilF
With us: 19 years 3 months

Post #24by NeilF » 21.03.2005, 19:48

t00fri wrote:Now since you are a novice, let me ask you a stupid question back:

Perhaps it all worked and you did not notice? What do you see when going to Titan? Did you push the 'I'-key in order to get rid of the yellow haze??

Bye Fridger

Yup... "I" did it... Told you I was a noob :)

Now just to get the Mars one to work :(

ElChristou
Developer
With us: 19 years 4 months

Post #25by ElChristou » 21.03.2005, 19:51

t00fri wrote:Actually during most of the past week the forum was so boringly quiet that I...

Quite agree, I morking on some 3D stuff, a little tutorial on the pinch effect for newbie, I hope to post very soon all this...

Topic author
t00fri
Developer

Post #26by t00fri » 21.03.2005, 22:10

NeilF wrote:
t00fri wrote:Now since you are a novice, let me ask you a stupid question back:

Perhaps it all worked and you did not notice? What do you see when going to Titan? Did you push the 'I'-key in order to get rid of the yellow haze??

Bye Fridger

Yup... "I" did it... Told you I was a noob :)

Now just to get the Mars one to work :(

good to hear...

Enjoy,

Bye Fridger

Topic author
t00fri
Developer

Post #27by t00fri » 21.03.2005, 22:16

ElChristou wrote:
t00fri wrote:Actually during most of the past week the forum was so boringly quiet that I...

Quite agree, I morking on some 3D stuff, a little tutorial on the pinch effect for newbie, I hope to post very soon all this...

Yes, the pinch effect is nasty. Actually, I found that NASA images must be at least partially corrected in their cylindrical maps. If I use e.g. the well-known 'spheremap' PS plugin (that Jestr mentioned), the result is much worse than before in many cases! Much 'overcorrected' so to speak.

Usually, there is not too much detail close to the poles. But in case of Titan for example, this area contains plenty of hires imaging!

If I am lazy, I also just blur the extreme polar environment on some additional layer ...

Bye Fridger

Matt McIrvin

Post #28by Matt McIrvin » 26.03.2005, 01:11

I just downloaded this in celebration of the 350th anniversary of the discovery of Titan. It's nice!

Return to “Celestia Users”