Slow rendering

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
Topic author
Sky Pilot
With us: 19 years 9 months
Location: Moved recently from the Bihem System, now in Fort Worth, Texas, USA

Slow rendering

Post #1by Sky Pilot » 10.01.2005, 19:38

I'm not sure why my PC is pausing so often when rendering. When I "go to" a selected object in Celestia, I can watch the simulation travel most of the way to the object (stars whizzing past), then before the object appears the PC pauses for 5 or more seconds and then the selected object is rendered. So I don't get to see the selected object approach as I get nearer -- the PC pauses and then the object just appears right in front of me.

I have a basic installation of Celestia 1.3.2 with Frank G.'s Educational Activities 1 thru 7, and rthorvald's new portrait of the sun. Those are the only addons I have installed.

My system is a brand new HP m1160n with 2.2 GHz AMD Athlon 64-bit 3400+ processor, 1600 MHz bus speed, 512 Mb RAM, and a GeForce?„? FX5200XT AGP 8X graphics card with 128MB DDR video memory. I'm running Windows XP Media Center.

Any ideas how to speed things up? :?

Thanks.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

Cham M
With us: 20 years 8 months

Post #2by Cham » 10.01.2005, 19:56

I guess the slowdowns are caused by the HD accessing for pictures files, 3D mesh, etc. I have this very often on my system, because my Celestia is VERY heavily loaded. And if you don't have a lot of memory, the computer must access the HD to write its virtual memory file.

I have the impression that Celestia is the most heavily demanding piece of software ever wrote.
"Well! I've often seen a cat without a grin", thought Alice; "but a grin without a cat! It's the most curious thing I ever saw in all my life!"

maxim
With us: 20 years 10 months

Post #3by maxim » 10.01.2005, 21:30

512 MB is shurely on the lower end. It should be 1 GB or more.

Cham wrote:I have the impression that Celestia is the most heavily demanding piece of software ever wrote.

It's simply not very optimized. I think the initial design didn't cover the current usage load.

maxim

Return to “Celestia Users”