Feature request - Auto Update

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
Topic author
Tosv

Feature request - Auto Update

Post #1by Tosv » 04.08.2004, 12:42

I think that I?ve seen this topic anywere else in this forum but I can?t find it. So forgive me if this is a repetition.

I would like so see an auto-update-function in Celestia. Lots of programs today has a function that checks for updates every time the user connects to the Internet (or once a week or month).

New versions of the program are released one per year or so but many files (solar.sys, extrasolar etc.) are continuously developed. It would be perfect if those files could be updated and installed automaticly so the user always has the latest files on his system.

The same thing with add-ons. Some add-ons completely lacks install-instructions and that makes it difficult for a beginner to place the files in the right directories. A user that has low computer skills maybe even has problems to find his way in the computers Folders-tree (Explorer in Windows).

If the selected add-ons could be automaticly downloaded and installed it would be a great improvement. Then Celestia would be even more user-friendly.

Redfish
With us: 22 years 4 months

Post #2by Redfish » 04.08.2004, 23:42

Hi Tosv,

your suggestion is really good. I myself already suggested the feature in a different topic, and I don't think I was the first one.

I think the only problem for this to work is the fact that it requires quite some work to accomplish. So I don't expect anything like this soon.

Topic author
Tosv

Post #3by Tosv » 05.08.2004, 07:46

Hi Redfish!

You?re probably right. I don?t know anything about programming but I guess that it will need much work to accomplish a feature like this. Unfortunately.

On the other hand I think an autoupdate-function is necessary to keep Celestia in the lead because such a feature is standard in many applications today. At least in the Windows-world.

RND
With us: 20 years 9 months

Post #4by RND » 05.08.2004, 15:59

Now this is a good idea and Id like to see this implemented in a future version.
� RND �
Insert RaNDom comment here

azgard
With us: 21 years 7 months

Post #5by azgard » 05.08.2004, 18:48

I have very mixed feelings on this. The various pre updates are just that, and are dependent on feedback, testing and adjustment. I would not expect to see an auto update implemented.

Return to “Celestia Users”