Select, Go to, Follow, Sync, Track, Trace, how do they work?

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
Topic author
diegorodriguez
With us: 22 years 5 months

Select, Go to, Follow, Sync, Track, Trace, how do they work?

Post #1by diegorodriguez » 10.06.2004, 14:42

I'd like to be able to anticipate what's the effect of applying the navigation controls to the objects I see. Common tasks, as keeping an eye on the moon while on Earth, or on Saturn while riding Cassini spacecraft, should be easier to do. Clearer description or wizards welcome.

The affected commands are:

- Select
- Go to
- Follow
- Sync
- Track
- Chase

Thank you.

t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 6 months

Re: Select, Go to, Follow, Sync, Track, Trace, how do they w

Post #2by t00fri » 10.06.2004, 17:24

diegorodriguez wrote:I'd like to be able to anticipate what's the effect of applying the navigation controls to the objects I see. Common tasks, as keeping an eye on the moon while on Earth, or on Saturn while riding Cassini spacecraft, should be easier to do. Clearer description or wizards welcome.

The affected commands are:

- Select
- Go to
- Follow
- Sync
- Track
- Chase

Thank you.

See the Celestia User Guide, a few lines above your post. It has been specially written for you

Bye Fridger

Evil Dr Ganymede
With us: 21 years 3 months

Re: Select, Go to, Follow, Sync, Track, Trace, how do they w

Post #3by Evil Dr Ganymede » 11.06.2004, 07:07

diegorodriguez wrote:I'd like to be able to anticipate what's the effect of applying the navigation controls to the objects I see. Common tasks, as keeping an eye on the moon while on Earth, or on Saturn while riding Cassini spacecraft, should be easier to do. Clearer description or wizards welcome.

To be more specifically helpful (this assumes you have pre8)... to keep an eye on Saturn while riding Cassini:

type "Cassini" to select it.
Press G to go to it.
type "Saturn" to select it.
Press Shift+C to centre both Saturn and Cassini in the field of view (I'm assuming you have Cassini in front of you and Saturn behind it)
Click on Cassini again to select it.
Rightclick and drag the mouse around a bit to get Cassini a little off-centre in the field of view and make Saturn visible.
Press C to centre Saturn in the field of view.
Press : to lock the field of view on Saturn relative to Cassini.
Adjust the flow of time using K and L (and J to go backwards) and watch the show :).

You can use that technique on anything that you want to "ride" while keeping something in the field of view (it's handy for asteroids that are swinging past planets)
Last edited by Evil Dr Ganymede on 11.06.2004, 07:08, edited 1 time in total.

Adirondack M
With us: 20 years 7 months

Post #4by Adirondack » 11.06.2004, 07:08

@ diegorodriguez:
Or just simply take a look here: http://www.shatters.net/celestia/documentation.html
We all live under the same sky, but we do not have the same horizon. (K. Adenauer)
The horizon of some people is a circle with the radius zero - and they call it their point of view. (A. Einstein)

Return to “Celestia Users”