celestia online

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
Topic author
Tru
With us: 22 years 3 months

celestia online

Post #1by Tru » 05.07.2002, 17:06

if anyone knows anyone who might be able to provide help, advice or better for creating multiplayer sessions of Celestia then please post here... even a LAN based version would be awesome... :!:

Post #2by Guest » 05.07.2002, 18:45

Multiplayer ? Correct me if I'm saying anything stupid, but this isn't a game.... you can't interact with anything. Why would you want multiple users in one session ? It would just slow everything down.

(Mad Boris)

Topic author
Tru
With us: 22 years 3 months

Post #3by Tru » 05.07.2002, 19:13

who said anything about a game?

just to be able to see other players ships and chat is as far as I'd want to take it...

I like to leave Celestia running for long periods of time in realtime - be interesting just to have people meeting, showing the best areas etc..
one way around the time speed thing would for players on the same time frame are the only ones that can see each other.

t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 6 months

Post #4by t00fri » 05.07.2002, 19:57

Tru wrote:who said anything about a game?

just to be able to see other players ships and chat is as far as I'd want to take it...

I like to leave Celestia running for long periods of time in realtime - be interesting just to have people meeting, showing the best areas etc..
one way around the time speed thing would for players on the same time frame are the only ones that can see each other.

The chances for meeting anybody in space may be rather small;-). But if all of you will be orbiting around the moon, then, perhaps....

Bye Fridger

Axel

Networking

Post #5by Axel » 05.07.2002, 20:52

Hi,

to make this slightly more serious, networking capabilities might indeed help with e.g. education.

Imagine having one person performe a simulated journey across the solar system to point out special places or new, more realistic effects.

Kind of distributed Planetarium. This idea is profundly convincing, but surely not very high on a priority list, I'm afraid.

What we currently have reg. internet ability is the possibility to get additional info about the major planets and moons via automatically started browser, don't recall the exact modus operandi for this.

Take care, Axel

P.S.: I'm pretty sure 'Mostly harmless' Celestia's Elite clone will get networking capabilities pretty early, relatively spoken.

Post #6by Guest » 05.07.2002, 21:28

Ah, I see. That's a very interesting idea... a 3D forum, as it were, where you could see live what other people suggest.

Kind of distributed Planetarium. This idea is profundly convincing, but surely not very high on a priority list, I'm afraid.

Axel is right, there are other things that need doing first... there are still bugs to fix, new features to impliment. I'm not a programmer, but I suspect this live Celestia would be complex and time-consuming to set up.

Whiteboard/pointer

Post #7by Guest » 06.07.2002, 22:16

For educational use of a "multiplayer" session, it might be useful to give a user (either a designated "teacher", or just anybody, depending on the situation) the ability to control another's position and view, draw whiteboard scribblings on the screen, maybe even leave markers in space (with the ability to follow/sync orbit planets) that the other users could see and home in on.

Return to “Celestia Users”