can stars move?

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
Topic author
steve.wray
With us: 22 years 3 months

can stars move?

Post #1by steve.wray » 02.07.2002, 07:10

I was watching an edisode of the Andromeda series which had a large spacecraft in it.

The spacecraft consisted of a 'small' star with a bunch of planets hooked up in a structure around it.

It made me think; is it possible to have stars move in celestia? How would such a thing be done?

Axel

can stars move?

Post #2by Axel » 02.07.2002, 08:39

Well Steve,

this shouldn't be any problem (use a 3DS model) unless you want this star to be logical lightsource as well. Then you'd have to change some code which has also done before:

Some people have e.g. recreated Larry Niven's spectacular Ringworld which comes pretty close to the (ripped-off) idea of the Adromeda episode.

Just look for 'Mostly Harmless' under related pages @ the Celestia main page. Or enter 'Mostly Harmless' and 'Celestia' into Google.

If it's not there you'll find it in the forums.

If you can't find it here, then post again ;)

Take care,
Axel

steve.wray wrote:I was watching an edisode of the Andromeda series which had a large spacecraft in it.

The spacecraft consisted of a 'small' star with a bunch of planets hooked up in a structure around it.

It made me think; is it possible to have stars move in celestia? How would such a thing be done?

Return to “Celestia Users”