1.3.2 prerelease 5

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
Topic author
chris
Site Admin
With us: 22 years 5 months

1.3.2 prerelease 5

Post #1by chris » 02.03.2004, 21:07

There's a new Celestia prerelease for Windows:

http://www.spacesim.net/prerelease/cele ... .2pre5.exe

You can get just the EXE as well, but it's missing the new models for Amalthea, Phobos, Deimos, and Hyperion:

http://www.spacesim.net/prerelease/cele ... e5-exe.zip

--Chris

Bob Hegwood
With us: 20 years 8 months

Post #2by Bob Hegwood » 02.03.2004, 22:43

Hey, thanks Chris.

Boy, you sure are putting them out this year. :wink:

I hadn't gotten finished setting up Pre4 yet. :lol:

Take care, Bob
Bob Hegwood
Windows XP-SP2, 256Meg 1024x768 Resolution
Intel Celeron 1400 MHz CPU
Intel 82815 Graphics Controller
OpenGL Version: 1.1.2 - Build 4.13.01.3196
Celestia 1.4.0 Pre6 FT1

Commander David
With us: 22 years

Post #3by Commander David » 03.03.2004, 04:16

Hi Chris,

thanks for the new release.
I`ve found that the Starbrowser show`s no Startyp`s anymore. Is this a bug??
The other question: is rassilons code of showing stars implemented like in this tread: ? http://shatters.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4028

Thanks for all your hard work!
Celestia on my System:
AMD Barton 2800+@3000+
1024 MB DDR-RAM
ATI Radeon 9500 non Pro 128MB

Topic author
chris
Site Admin

Post #4by chris » 03.03.2004, 04:47

Commander David wrote:Hi Chris,

thanks for the new release.
I`ve found that the Starbrowser show`s no Startyp`s anymore. Is this a bug??

Yes, it's a bug--thanks for catching this one! I very much suspect that moving to the Visual C++ 7.0 compiler is what caused this problem, as there were no modifcations made to the star browser in over a month. I committed a workaround to CVS, and the fix will be in the next prerelease. Hopefully, Don didn't even get a chance to enter this one in the bug database on SourceForge. :)

--Chris

don
With us: 20 years 11 months

Post #5by don » 03.03.2004, 05:33

Hey Chris -- you're working FTL! You got it fixed before "the bugman" even knew it existed. :lol: Great work Chris!

Evil Dr Ganymede
With us: 21 years 1 month

Post #6by Evil Dr Ganymede » 03.03.2004, 06:01

Sorry to keep going on about it, but I don't suppose there's any news on whether it'd be possible to allow Celestia to start up without loading stars.dat (ie have a blank universe on startup, which one fills with .stc files).

I've asked about it several times before but have heard no response from any of the programmers about this (we tried editing the stars.dat file down to no stars and it just crashes, but other than that I still don't know if it can be made to work), so I don't even know if the request is just impossible, is being ignored or not noticed, is on the waiting list of things to do, is being worked on, or anything else. If someone could please let me know the status of the request then I'll gladly shut up about it... :oops:

Topic author
chris
Site Admin

Post #7by chris » 03.03.2004, 07:01

Evil Dr Ganymede wrote:Sorry to keep going on about it, but I don't suppose there's any news on whether it'd be possible to allow Celestia to start up without loading stars.dat (ie have a blank universe on startup, which one fills with .stc files).

Sorry this has taken so long despite your frequent requests . . .

A non-existent or empty stars.dat is a boundary case that Celestia should handle properly. So, I just committed a change that allows you to eliminate the StarDatabase line from celestia.cfg and launch Celestia without a binary star database. If you leave the StarDatabase line there and just delete stars.dat, Celestia will still complain. This behavior is so that someone who accidentally deletes or renames their stars.dat file will receive notification that something's wrong.

I'll get a prerelease with this fix built within a day or so . . . Private message me if you need a drop earlier.
--Chris

Evil Dr Ganymede
With us: 21 years 1 month

Post #8by Evil Dr Ganymede » 03.03.2004, 07:37

chris wrote:Sorry this has taken so long despite your frequent requests . . .

No worries. I just didn't know whether it had been noted or not.

A non-existent or empty stars.dat is a boundary case that Celestia should handle properly. So, I just committed a change that allows you to eliminate the StarDatabase line from celestia.cfg and launch Celestia without a binary star database. If you leave the StarDatabase line there and just delete stars.dat, Celestia will still complain. This behavior is so that someone who accidentally deletes or renames their stars.dat file will receive notification that something's wrong.

So to remove the stars.dat file one would do by editing it out of the .cfg, not by actually deleting/renaming it? That sounds good to me :).

Nothing else in Celestia should be affected by the lack of a preloaded stars.dat, should it?

I'll get a prerelease with this fix built within a day or so . . . Private message me if you need a drop earlier.

Thanks for getting back to me on this! :)

I just installed this new release (I was still on 1.3.0!) and it does look very nice... :D In fact... what did you do with it?! It seems to be running about a zillion times faster now!

Return to “Celestia Users”