Planetary Surface View

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.

Is a planetary surface viewing mode a good idea?

Poll ended at 16.03.2004, 20:34

Good Idea.
88%
Bad Idea.
12%

Total votes: 17

Paul
With us: 22 years 7 months

Post #21by Paul » 20.02.2004, 04:00

t00fri wrote:of course, I would tremendously enjoy a sophisticated 3D terrain display. Yet, after all this work that led to a most accurate incorporation of the movements of celestial bodies (remember hundreds of terms in VSOP87 ...) and all the rest, I'd consider it a bad mistake to mix in 3d landscape fiction, even if it may be switched off with a button.

The point is that with Celestia getting increasingly known in the world, it also stands more and more for a great and unique concept: the blending of state of the art precision simulation with exciting 3d graphics! As soon as one starts violating this basic philosophy even slightly, Celestia will start loosing its reputation (no matter whether things can be switched off or not!).

Yes, I would also download somebody's 3d landscape code for reasons of curiosity. But sure enough, I would loose interest in Celestia very soon after...

So far the Celestia code has nowhere become inconsequent as to its inherent philosophy of accuracy in simulation. Should we really want to give it up like this??

For similar reasons, I have always been against a default integration of rendered galaxies & nebulae into the core distribution. Despite great individual success (Rass'), we have not managed so far to come across a mass production algorithm that would allow to render not one, or two or perhaps 10 but all 10000 members of the NGC catalogue! Also we are seriously missing 3d information in that case, which sabotages again the intrinsic Celestia philosophy.

So like in some very famous paintings, I think it is often the superior compromise to only sketch/outline the faces of people instead of painting them explicitly but badly!

Bye Fridger

:roll: *sigh*...

Firstly, your claim that it would harm Celestia's reputation is nothing short of absolute rubbish. You've claimed this sort of wild thing against a few suggestions, and frankly, I wish you would try to be more objective.

Secondly, you've apparently forgotten that we've already violated the basic philosophy you so fervently defend, in the standard distribution - unknown portions of planet/moon textures (what's on the other side of your Mercury texture Fridger! :lol: ), meshes for cometary nuclei & asteroids whose actual appearace is unknown, there are probably also some other instances that I can't recall right now (I can't remember whether any extrasolar planets are in the standard distribution).

Obviously "some" fiction really is OK, but then perhaps I shouldn't be surprised by your unwillingness to let simple facts get in the way of what sounds like nothing more than proselytizing. I suggest that you compose a clearer and more specific counter-argument before you start blundering about. And please, spare us the clumsy metaphors!

Cheers,
Paul

Evil Dr Ganymede
With us: 21 years 3 months

Post #22by Evil Dr Ganymede » 20.02.2004, 18:56

Well, I'd just like to see a feature whereby you could set a lat/lon co-ordinate on any given planet, and then automatically get sent there in such a way that you are (a) relocated to that lat/lon at whatever the radius value of the planet is, (b) "locked" to the planet as it rotates and (c) facing straight upwards (looking at your local zenith) and (d) can only move on the sphere's surface, and not leave it unless you press a certain button.

That would allow you to see what the sky looked like from any point on any planet's surface without having to worry about being "left behind" as it rotates or if you accidentally move through or off the planet. It'd basically be an alternate movement mode that you could switch to, specific to planetary surfaces only. Right now, (unless I'm missing something) it seems that the only way to "land" on a planet's is to edge towards it using the movement controls and press various combinations of locking buttons to stay there as it rotates and moves.

selden
Developer
With us: 22 years

Post #23by selden » 20.02.2004, 19:24

Oh, Evil One,

Landing on a planet at a specific long and lat is easy. You don't have to "edge up to it". See the "preliminary User's FAQ" q/a #19.

Moving around on the planet's surface isn't so straightforward, though.
Selden

Rassilon
With us: 22 years 8 months

Post #24by Rassilon » 20.02.2004, 23:44

Actually movement across planetary surfaces is possible using either the mouse or keyboard. Hold down the right mouse button and drag backwards to move forwards or vice-versa...Or for the keyboard aspect...press down arrow while holding shift to move forward or vice versa...

I think to add the alt key in this combination might be prudent to speed things up a bit.(alt + shift for movement x 2) The current planetary movement is rather sluggish...
I'm trying to teach the cavemen how to play scrabble, its uphill work. The only word they know is Uhh and they dont know how to spell it!

t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 6 months

Post #25by t00fri » 21.02.2004, 00:38

Paul wrote:
:roll: *sigh*...

Firstly, your claim that it would harm Celestia's reputation is nothing short of absolute rubbish.

Let me emphasize first of all that I dislike your language. I am usually not addressed in this rude way...

Looking back on your contributions in this forum, I think they were mostly concerned with criticizing other people and the word "rubbish" seems to be among your favorite ones. Rarely, however, I can think of creative contributions to Celestia from your side! Well, well...

Paul wrote:You've claimed this sort of wild thing against a few suggestions, and frankly, I wish you would try to be more objective.

If it is all that wild, why did Chris, for example, never push anywhere into the directions that you favor so much? Certainly not because coding these things would be too hard for him;-).

Why is Grant spending so many hours of his time to get the last known detail right in Celestia??

Some people at least tend to agree about these "wild things", it seems...

Paul wrote:Secondly, you've apparently forgotten that we've already violated the basic philosophy you so fervently defend, in the standard distribution - unknown portions of planet/moon textures (what's on the other side of your Mercury texture Fridger! :lol: ),
Obviously "some" fiction really is OK, but then perhaps I shouldn't be surprised by your unwillingness to let simple facts get in the way of what sounds like nothing more than proselytizing. I suggest that you compose a clearer and more specific counter-argument before you start blundering about. And please, spare us the clumsy metaphors!

Obviously, you are badly informed here, yet go on criticizing with "full mouth"...

Both my Mercury and Pluto textures were the first ones that incorporated careful "Limit of knowledge (LOK)" masks! Do you want me to remind you explicitly of this fact? My Mercury texture is actually not part of the standard distribution (because it is too large). Grant has completed with much scrutinity the LOK masks for many other bodies in Celestia.

Be assured that we all work hard to eliminate any further remaining inaccuracies in Celestia as much as is possible...

Bye Fridger

Topic author
Starman
With us: 20 years 7 months

Re: Wow.

Post #26by Starman » 21.02.2004, 07:13

Starman,

the issue of adding a 3D-surface relief feature, we discussed many times before you joined in. You should easily be able to trace the discussions using the Search engine. Nothing new here.

The basic question remains: from where does one get the required detailed surface information? You just argue it would be "cool". Well usually the Celestia design philosophy is somewhat more ambitious;-)

Celestia is a most precise real time space simulation and not a space game of some sort where one just pops up landscapes out of the blue (e.g. by means of a random generator).

So how did you imagine to provide the landscape information around the town where you grew up?;-)

Bye Fridger

Well I feel humbled. I am well aware I was not the first on which this great denotation of mental thought had dawned, but I am glad my post generated the response it did for the advancement of said idea. As for "cool", a higher form of expression may have better portrayed the points I was trying to get across. Admittedly Fridger, i'm no programmer, but I hope those who are will use their talents to great use when it comes to modeling my town, as well as many of the others on this great planet.

--Starman
Last edited by Starman on 21.02.2004, 07:20, edited 1 time in total.

Topic author
Starman
With us: 20 years 7 months

The Wording of the Poll

Post #27by Starman » 21.02.2004, 07:19

I'd like to once again apologize to everyone for the wording of my poll. Had I realized it would be potentially counterproductive to the 3-D surface ideas, or offensive in any way, I would have worded it differently. I urge the overseers of this thread to take down the poll at their leasure.

Sorry Again, --Starman

Return to “Celestia Users”