Celestia Rules!

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
Topic author
galileo
With us: 20 years 6 months

Celestia Rules!

Post #1by galileo » 21.12.2003, 06:13

I've been having so much fun with this program, I thought I'd post some pics that I took to share with you all :)

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Click on the thumbnails for larger versions. This is a mix of all kinds of stuff I found in the textures forum.. DBrady's Mars texture and normal map, Don Edwards' 16k Earth, 8k North Summer / South Winter clouds (which is turned off in the North America pic), and a normal map I think I also got from his site. Also moon & Io texture from Jens' site, moon normal map from texture forum, 2k (i think) Saturn texture from texture forum looks more like Cassini picture, Space Station V from a 2001 pack I found in someone's signature here, and high res night lights / aurora I think was also from Don's site. Correct me if I'm wrong on any of these. :)

Mike

don
With us: 20 years 11 months

Post #2by don » 21.12.2003, 06:39

Howdy galileo,

Looks like you've been having some FUN! :D

Thanks for sharing your screen shots.

Happy Holidays,

-Don G.

Darkmiss
With us: 21 years 10 months

Post #3by Darkmiss » 21.12.2003, 13:16

Hello galileo
If you like taking screen shots and showing them,
Why not start your own Celestia Gallery.

Just send Chris an E-mail and he will get you started with your own gallery space.

Just click my gallery link at the bottom to see what its like. :)
CPU- Intel Pentium Core 2 Quad ,2.40GHz
RAM- 2Gb 1066MHz DDR2
Motherboard- Gigabyte P35 DQ6
Video Card- Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS + 640Mb
Hard Drives- 2 SATA Raptor 10000rpm 150GB
OS- Windows Vista Home Premium 32

Tech Sgt. Chen
With us: 20 years 8 months

Post #4by Tech Sgt. Chen » 21.12.2003, 13:23

Welcome to the forum galileo!

I am compelled to agree with you on the add-ons subject. I understand that it is a labor of love for everyone who has contributed to Celestia, whether it be textures, cel scripts, tech support via the forums, 3D models, etc. I know I've said it before, but I have to thank you all again. I also realize that many hours of hard, tedious work has been put into all of these extras and add-ons. Additionally, others have spent numerous hours providing and updating websites to facilitate our search for, downloading of, and instructions for, these add-ons. I don't think enough can be said about all of you! I'm also thankful for the help you all seem to happily provide in these forums! I think it's simply amazing!
THANKS AGAIN from T.S. Chen. (Oh shoot, there I go, rhyming again!):|
Hi guys. Listen, they're telling me the uh,
generators won't take it, the ship is breaking apart and all that. Just, FYI.
(Athlon X2 6000+ Dual Core 3Ghz, 8GB DDR2-800, 500GB SATA 7200RPM HD, 580W,
GeForce 9600GT-512, 64Bit, Vista Home Premium)

danielj
With us: 20 years 10 months

Re: Celestia Rules!

Post #5by danielj » 21.12.2003, 17:03

How did you do DBrady?s Mars texture to work?It isn?t in my Celestia.It only appears a red feauterless disk.I don?t know if redmars VT is nterfering with it

TERRIER
With us: 21 years 2 months

Post #6by TERRIER » 22.12.2003, 02:43

DanielJ

My description may sound a bit over simplified, but this is for the benefit of any new users who may also be having a problem.

I'm running mine as an alternate texture with the following SSC which I have called 'Mars(D.Brady).ssc'; (It can be called anything you want!)

Code: Select all

AltSurface "Mars(D.Brady)" "Sol/Mars"
{
   Texture "MarsFlat.ctx"
   NormalMap "MarsNormalMapDXT3.ctx"

Color   [ 1 0.75 0.7 ]
   HazeColor [ 1 1 1 ]
   HazeDensity 0.45
   Radius 3396 # equatorial
   # Oblateness 0.0069

}

I've got everything placed in my main EXTRAS directory inside a file called
'Mars(D.Brady)' - again it can be called anything you want.
Inside this I have placed the above SSC file, and also have a 'TEXTURES' file as well.
Inside the TEXTURES file there is another file called 'MEDRES' where I have placed the CTX file 'MarsFlat.ctx';

Code: Select all

VirtualTexture
{
        ImageDirectory "MarsFlat"
        BaseSplit 0
        TileSize 256
        TileType "dds"
}

also inside the 'MEDRES' file is another file that contains the actual texture tiles called 'MarsFlat' which the CTX file refers to.

Inside the 'MarsFlat' file are the individual tile files for levels 0 to 4. I have also added empty files for levels 5 to 10 in case of (hopefully :wink: )any future expansion to this texture.

Please note that because I am not running this as my main texture, my main solarsys.ssc has not been altered in any way from it's previous definition. But it might be worth checking that the filenames for your SSC and CTX files for your main texture and alternate texture are not clashing.

The normalmap I am using is also from D.Brady's site and I have simply put all the files for this(CTX and texture level files) inside a file called 'MarsNormalMapDXT3' and then put this into my main TEXTURES/MEDRES file.

hope this helps?
1.6.0:AMDAth1.2GHz 1GbDDR266:Ge6200 256mbDDR250:WinXP-SP3:1280x1024x32FS:v196.21@AA4x:AF16x:IS=HQ:T.Buff=ON Earth16Kdds@15KkmArctic2000AD:FOV1:SPEC L5dds:NORM L5dxt5:CLOUD L5dds:
NIGHT L5dds:MOON L4dds:GALXY ON:MAG 15.2-SAP:TIME 1000x:RP=OGL2:10.3FPS

Buzz
With us: 22 years 5 months

Post #7by Buzz » 22.12.2003, 15:54

I also have problems with Brady's Mars. I don't get the surface texture to show up, and the normal map appears on part of the surface as it looks in an image editor (purple)! I use exactly your ssc and ctx's. I DO get a working virtual texture with the one based on RedMars by Space Graphics. Maybe something with the DDS format used in combination with an older graphics card (GeForce 2/32 MB)?

Buzz
With us: 22 years 5 months

Post #8by Buzz » 22.12.2003, 21:50

OK, I admit, not exactly :? I did make a typo, it works now... The difference between a ) and a } can be hard to see with certain fonts :(

lef
With us: 20 years 6 months

Post #9by lef » 22.12.2003, 22:24

I fully agree with the title of this thread, Celestia is a great program and a lot of fun to use although I must say Im having trouble getting the "41,000 City" addon working. I cannot get the names to appear at all, whether this is because my resolution is too low or Im not using the proper textures I dont know.
Well Ive said my piece Im off for another flyby past Metis. :wink:

t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 3 months

Post #10by t00fri » 22.12.2003, 22:35

lef wrote:I fully agree with the title of this thread, Celestia is a great program and a lot of fun to use although I must say Im having trouble getting the "41,000 City" addon working. I cannot get the names to appear at all, whether this is because my resolution is too low or Im not using the proper textures I dont know.

Better, if you had told us your Celestia version...;-)

You need Celestia 1.3.1prexx NOT 1.3.0 for the labels to display. Also just put the earth-Gazetteer-2.ssc into the 'extras' directory.

Bye Fridger

Post #11by Guest » 22.12.2003, 22:39

t00fri wrote:
lef wrote:I fully agree with the title of this thread, Celestia is a great program and a lot of fun to use although I must say Im having trouble getting the "41,000 City" addon working. I cannot get the names to appear at all, whether this is because my resolution is too low or Im not using the proper textures I dont know.

Better, if you had told us your Celestia version...;-)

You need Celestia 1.3.1prexx NOT 1.3.0 for the labels to display. Also just put the earth-Gazetteer-2.ssc into the 'extras' directory.

Bye Fridger

Ah my mistake, I am using 1.3.0. Sorry.

Return to “Celestia Users”