The sun and other stars

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
Topic author
ArneB

The sun and other stars

Post #1by ArneB » 15.12.2003, 16:21

I'm wondering if some of the programmers might want to create a better graphical representation of the stars for the next version of celestia. This is not meant as a complaint, cause I haven't contributed with anything myself, but merely a suggestion to make a wonderful program even better. I've made a picture in 3DS MAX to illustrate the idea. What I've done is to add blur to the brightest part of the image (which is naturally the sun) and just add some rays, glow and a faint lensflare. I know this can be done with Open GL too, even the blurring of bright parts.

Here's an attempt to create a comet with a particle tail.
(I know that is not feasible in real-time)

Darkmiss
With us: 21 years 10 months

Post #2by Darkmiss » 15.12.2003, 22:47

Hmmm the LensFlare things has been asked about many many times before, and will never happen.

Basicly a lensflare is exactly that, somthing you see through glass or a lens.
not what you would see if you was floating around in space.

If this programe ever used a space vessel to move arround then maybe
But it is simply a space simulator

The Developers are simply trying to mirror what is in our hevens, on to our computers, Virtually.
CPU- Intel Pentium Core 2 Quad ,2.40GHz
RAM- 2Gb 1066MHz DDR2
Motherboard- Gigabyte P35 DQ6
Video Card- Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS + 640Mb
Hard Drives- 2 SATA Raptor 10000rpm 150GB
OS- Windows Vista Home Premium 32

Topic author
ArneB

Post #3by ArneB » 15.12.2003, 23:01

Ok, of course the lensflare is a result of optics, but there is already a kind of flare assigned to the stars in celestia, but it just doesn't look too real. Is it possible to swap the current one with a much brighter one of higher resolution? Can I do it myself, maybe change some parameters in a text-file or something?
And, a litte off topic, but still related to optics; does anyone know what produces this blue glare? The picture is taken with an 8 inch reflector telescope.

selden
Developer
With us: 21 years 10 months

Post #4by selden » 15.12.2003, 23:28

The flare around the sun and stars in Celestia is generated using the image \Celestia\textures\flare.jpg

You can replace that file by any JPEG image you want.
Selden

Tech Sgt. Chen
With us: 20 years 8 months

Post #5by Tech Sgt. Chen » 16.12.2003, 13:00

ArneB wrote:
And, a litte off topic, but still related to optics; does anyone know what produces this blue glare? The picture is taken with an 8 inch reflector telescope.

Well Arne,
I'm not really the one who should answer this (selden?, grant?), but I'll venture an uneducated guess. If this phenomenon doesn't occur with other reflectors or refractors, I would suggest any number of causative influences. My first would be to consider light bouncing around in the carbon dioxide, rich atmosphere of Mars. Additionally, you are viewing Mars through your telescope and subsequently, through our own atmosphere which contains a myriad of natural and man made particles conducive to good, unobstructed, stargazing (I'm being a little sarcastic).
An optical influence can include any type of manufacturer or after market coating(s) placed on the lens for, ahem, clearer viewing purposes.

Can somebody help me out here before this ship I'm sailing sinks to the bottom?
Hi guys. Listen, they're telling me the uh,
generators won't take it, the ship is breaking apart and all that. Just, FYI.
(Athlon X2 6000+ Dual Core 3Ghz, 8GB DDR2-800, 500GB SATA 7200RPM HD, 580W,
GeForce 9600GT-512, 64Bit, Vista Home Premium)

Return to “Celestia Users”