Jupiter clouds

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.

Jupiter clouds

Post #1by Guest » 12.12.2003, 14:50

Does anyone still have the Jupiter Clouds texture (jupiter-clouds.png). At several places I see a link to http://bruckner.homelinux.net/addons.html but that link is dead...

Paul

t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 3 months

Re: Jupiter clouds

Post #2by t00fri » 12.12.2003, 16:15

Anonymous wrote:Does anyone still have the Jupiter Clouds texture (jupiter-clouds.png). At several places I see a link to http://bruckner.homelinux.net/addons.html but that link is dead...

Paul

Since I made them long long ago, they may still be found on my TextureFoundry site. Although many Paul's do exist, let me suppose you are the one who knows the URL;-)

Bye Fridger

Darkmiss
With us: 21 years 10 months

Post #3by Darkmiss » 13.12.2003, 21:50

CPU- Intel Pentium Core 2 Quad ,2.40GHz
RAM- 2Gb 1066MHz DDR2
Motherboard- Gigabyte P35 DQ6
Video Card- Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS + 640Mb
Hard Drives- 2 SATA Raptor 10000rpm 150GB
OS- Windows Vista Home Premium 32

Bob Hegwood
With us: 20 years 8 months

Post #4by Bob Hegwood » 15.12.2003, 02:29

Hi all...

I have a question concerning these Jupiter clouds... Is this the right place to ask?

My question is: "What purpose do they serve?" If I try to use the clouds via a "cloudmap" definition, all I do is screw up the beautiful view I already have of the planet.
Can someone enlighten me with more specific information on how, why to use the clouds on Jupiter?

Sorry for the dumb question, but I just don't see any advantage to using
this feature on Jupiter.

Thanks, Bob
Bob Hegwood
Windows XP-SP2, 256Meg 1024x768 Resolution
Intel Celeron 1400 MHz CPU
Intel 82815 Graphics Controller
OpenGL Version: 1.1.2 - Build 4.13.01.3196
Celestia 1.4.0 Pre6 FT1

AuReality
With us: 20 years 7 months

Re: Jupiter clouds

Post #5by AuReality » 15.12.2003, 11:04

t00fri wrote:
Anonymous wrote:Does anyone still have the Jupiter Clouds texture (jupiter-clouds.png). At several places I see a link to http://bruckner.homelinux.net/addons.html but that link is dead...

Paul

Since I made them long long ago, they may still be found on my TextureFoundry site. Although many Paul's do exist, let me suppose you are the one who knows the URL;-)

Bye Fridger

Yes I do. And thanks.

t00fri
Developer

Post #6by t00fri » 15.12.2003, 11:23

Bob Hegwood wrote:Hi all...

I have a question concerning these Jupiter clouds... Is this the right place to ask?

My question is: "What purpose do they serve?" If I try to use the clouds via a "cloudmap" definition, all I do is screw up the beautiful view I already have of the planet.
Can someone enlighten me with more specific information on how, why to use the clouds on Jupiter?

Sorry for the dumb question, but I just don't see any advantage to using
this feature on Jupiter.

Thanks, Bob

My clouds were tuned to my 2k 'hires' jupiter texture. The point is that the cloud bands move independently around jupi and thus create this way a really 3d cloud impression.

Just leave them away, if you don't like them. I rather guess you did not set them up right and also not with the right jupi texture.

http://www.shatters.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3465&highlight=

My clouds are /semi transparent/ and essentially concentrated where not much detail is visible anyway on /my jupi texture/. Also its a matter of combining spec lights in the right colors to further enhance the whole thing.

Sorry, I have my solarsys.ssc elsewhere...

Bye Fridger

Bob Hegwood

Post #7by Bob Hegwood » 16.12.2003, 05:12

t00fri wrote:My clouds were tuned to my 2k 'hires' jupiter texture. The point is that the cloud bands move independently around jupi and thus create this way a really 3d cloud impression.

Okay, thanks for the information sir...

Now I at least understand why the cloudmap would be useful. I'll play with
it for a while, and see if I can recreate the effect. Would be very nice to see the
clouds moving independently.

Thanks again, Bob
Bob Hegwood

Celestia 1.4.0 Pre6 FT1

here2

Post #8by Guest » 16.12.2003, 07:41

you can get it here to

http://www.bruckner.50megs.com

Bob Hegwood

Post #9by Bob Hegwood » 17.12.2003, 05:15

Fridger: Just leave them away, if you don't like them. I rather guess you did not set them up right and also not with the right jupi texture.

Fridger,

I have experimented at some length with the clouds and obtained some interesting
effects with this file. I'm apparently lacking vital information though...

First, should the Cloudheight be 1000 miles as suggested by my wanderings through the 9 Planets site?

Second, I'm using a cloudspeed of 330 mph (also suggested by the Nine Planets data).
Where can I obtain specific information on the cloudheight, cloudspeed data?

Next, shouldn't the bands and zones be moving in opposite directions?
And, am I correct in concluding that this feature is not available under the current Celestia package? Perhaps this could be done with TWO sets of cloudmaps for a planet?

Just some thoughts. The effect IS more interesting.

Thanks again VERY much for the information you provided.

Take care, Bob
Last edited by Bob Hegwood on 17.12.2003, 06:32, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Hegwood

Celestia 1.4.0 Pre6 FT1

Bob Hegwood

Post #10by Bob Hegwood » 17.12.2003, 05:18

Sorry,

One other question for cloudmap experts...

I have two different sets of cloudmaps for Jupiter. One is a simple black and
white texure (with transparency) and the other is a full-color version. Is there
some advantage to using the color map as opposed to the black and white map?

Thanks again, Bob
Bob Hegwood

Celestia 1.4.0 Pre6 FT1

t00fri
Developer

Post #11by t00fri » 17.12.2003, 16:37

Bob Hegwood wrote:Sorry,

One other question for cloudmap experts...

I have two different sets of cloudmaps for Jupiter. One is a simple black and
white texure (with transparency) and the other is a full-color version. Is there
some advantage to using the color map as opposed to the black and white map?

Thanks again, Bob

I only know that mine is PNG format and in (bluish) color with transparency (alpha channel) of course.

Bye Fridger

t00fri
Developer

Post #12by t00fri » 17.12.2003, 16:47

Bob Hegwood wrote:
Fridger: Just leave them away, if you don't like them. I rather guess you did not set them up right and also not with the right jupi texture.

Fridger,

I have experimented at some length with the clouds and obtained some interesting
effects with this file. I'm apparently lacking vital information though...

First, should the Cloudheight be 1000 miles as suggested by my wanderings through the 9 Planets site?

Second, I'm using a cloudspeed of 330 mph (also suggested by the Nine Planets data).
Where can I obtain specific information on the cloudheight, cloudspeed data?

Next, shouldn't the bands and zones be moving in opposite directions?
And, am I correct in concluding that this feature is not available under the current Celestia package? Perhaps this could be done with TWO sets of cloudmaps for a planet?

Just some thoughts. The effect IS more interesting.

Thanks again VERY much for the information you provided.

Take care, Bob

Bob,

good you made some progress!

I have uploaded my jupiter2k-spec.dds file and my jupi.ssc assigments into the TextureFoundry. You might want to start experimenting from there a bit. Please note the haze and spec light levels and colors!

Moreover, my 'hires' 2k jupiter texture that is in the TexFoundry may still be incorrectly oriented (it's all old stuff!). Just compare it with the default one. You may have to apply a shift of 180 degs.

Here are the URL's for download.

http://www.shatters.net/~t00fri/images/jupiter2k-spec.dds

http://www.shatters.net/~t00fri/images/jupi.ssc

My cloud height is at 300. Their speed could well be higher, perhaps. Grant for sure knows the /direction/ of the cloud movement by heart...;-)

Bye Fridger

granthutchison
Developer
With us: 21 years 7 months

Post #13by granthutchison » 17.12.2003, 20:38

Bob:
The belts and zones move in opposite directions only relative to Jupiter's underlying rotation (which we measure from the rotation period of the magnetic field). So against Jupiter's 10hr rotation period there's a (relatively!) slow westward drift of the red bands, and an eastward drift of the white zones. So everything rotates eastwards overall, just at different rates.
But in Celestia we've set Jupiter's rotation to match the rotation period of the Great Red Spot, so that its transits, appearances and disappearances are correctly timed. Since the GRS participates in the strongest westward drift, this means we have to set Fridger's clouds drifting eastwards with a velocity equal to the velocity difference between zones and bands in the region of the GRS - around 150m/s, or 540 km/hr. That sounds pretty fast, but Jupiter is big - 450000km around at the equator, and 420000km around near the GRS. So the eastward zonal winds would take 32.4 days to "lap" the GRS (go right around the planet and catch up with it again). Celestia's CloudSpeed parameter is in degrees per day, so that translates to a CloudSpeed of just 11, which I find hardly noticeable without speeding up Jupiter excessively. :cry:
With reference to CloudHeight, the only information I have gives the full span from the lowest visible clouds to the highest ammonia cirrus as around 70km.

The only thing I did with Fridger's 2k Jupiter texture for my personal use was to rotate it (cut a bit off one end and paste it on to the other end) so that its GRS was in the same position as in the Celestia default texture - this prevents the GRS position becoming incorrect when I switch to hires.

Grant

Post #14by Guest » 18.12.2003, 05:12

Fridger,

Thanks VERY much for the downloads... I'll give them some more attention this weekend.

Thanks also for the information. Jupiter is truly a fascinating planet.

Grant,

Thanks also to you for the information you provided. I'm having a ball investigating
this planet.

Thanks VERY much gentlemen. I do appreciate the responses.

PS - I'm also working on a Tour of the Jovian System script which should be
ready in another week or two, so that's why all the curiosity at this point.

Take care, Bob

Bob Hegwood

Post #15by Bob Hegwood » 18.12.2003, 05:19

Sorry...

That was me above. I *thought* I had this damned thing set to log me in automatically.

Sigh...

Thanks again gentlemen. Take care, Bob
Bob Hegwood

Celestia 1.4.0 Pre6 FT1

Return to “Celestia Users”