Feature Request: multiple names for objects other than stars

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
Topic author
revent
With us: 20 years 7 months

Feature Request: multiple names for objects other than stars

Post #1by revent » 27.11.2003, 06:07

It'd be nice if this feature worked for other types of objects. It'd make it possible to list and search for satellites by common name, SCC, and COSPAR (i.e Hipparcos, 20169, 1989-062B), it'd let you use any of the names of a moon or minor planet, (i.e. Adrastea, 2002J1, or Jupiter XXXII, which are not all the same moon, I know), or both common names and multiple catalog numbers for features like open clusters (M44, Praesepe, Beehive Cluster, and NGC 2632 are identical, for instance).

Given that this feature is already implemented for stars, I'd expect the coding cost would be pretty minor. Any chance of seeing this soon?

SGP4 would also be nice, but I know that's not going to happen near-term. There is a GPL'd C library for it though! (hint hint) :wink:

JackHiggins
With us: 21 years 6 months

Post #2by JackHiggins » 27.11.2003, 22:40

(M44, Praesepe, Beehive Cluster, and NGC 2632 are identical, for instance).

Although praesepe might have something to say about that... :wink: :D

Seriously though- good call. This would be a nice feature to see. I'm sure the list is about as long as an xyz file at this stage...!! :)
- Jack Higgins
Jack's Celestia Add-ons
And visit my Celestia Gallery too!

chris
Site Admin
With us: 22 years 5 months

Post #3by chris » 28.11.2003, 20:44

Multiple names are needed for planets as well as deep sky objects . . . Eventually, we'll get around to adding this and you'll be able to specify multiple names like this:

Code: Select all

OpenCluster "M44:Praesepe:Beehive Cluster:NGC 2632"
{
}

--Chris

Return to “Celestia Users”