Celestia & VRML

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
Topic author
Rassilon
With us: 22 years 5 months

Celestia & VRML

Post #1by Rassilon » 20.10.2003, 16:22

Currently Im working on a new process in adding virtual worlds to explore in Celestia...When clicking on a linked planet it will send you to a VRML world you can explore...

If your more apt to create the realistic...This method can also be applied to our solar system...if only locations can have URL's applied to them you would then be able to model an enviroment in 3d studio max or other 3d authoring software with a VRML exporter...The possibilities are now truly endless...:mrgreen:

I have created a forum specifically for this addition to Celestia...
http://www.celestialvisions.net/forums/ ... wtopic=111
And im sure when Chris sees the potential of this feature will be adding it here...

For a quick look at what VRML does heres a download sample:
http://www.celestialvisions.net/addons/gemus_val.zip
I would of course like to know if anyone has issues with viewing this file...You will need a VRML browser to view...Netscape users should have the best results with VRML as do IE users...I dont know about MAC but I use the Cosmo Player which can be downloaded here: http://ca.com/cosmo/

I really hope to see some of the community here like JackHiggins and TERRIER making use of this feature...It would be cool to see the viking lander in a interactive enviroment such as Mars with the rocks, fog and all...
I'm trying to teach the cavemen how to play scrabble, its uphill work. The only word they know is Uhh and they dont know how to spell it!

JackHiggins
With us: 21 years 6 months

Post #2by JackHiggins » 20.10.2003, 20:14

Whoa! Looks great now- imagine what it'd look like if my VRML viewer had better navigation controls! (I'm using Cortona)

I'm getting some pink patches in the sky at the start though... And I was surprised to see the Dr. Who phonebox thing behind me!

If the VRML could be made to repeat or make random patterns around a planet itd be good- instead of going from something like that straight into flat terrain! :)
- Jack Higgins
Jack's Celestia Add-ons
And visit my Celestia Gallery too!

TERRIER
With us: 21 years 2 months

Post #3by TERRIER » 22.10.2003, 00:23

And I was surprised to see the Dr. Who phonebox thing behind me!

Jack, that's the T.A.R.D.I.S you're talking about!!! :roll:

I must admit, until now I was totally ignorant of VRML but after unsucessfuly trying out Worldview , I've installed the Cortona plug-in
and what I've seen of Rass's landscape sample, it looks pretty cool.

Like Jack, I found the controls a bit hard to master, I ended up clattering into that Mountain! But you do quickly get used to them.

Rass
I noticed that I couldn't use the 'flying' option, is this because of the limited functions available in the Cortona plugin I've used(see below) or is it because you have not programed this into your available view options?

And is there any chance can you give us an example using an existing celestia model to see what it looks like?

Here's a link to the Cortona download page for the browser plugin I've been using, for anyone who hasn't got a VRML viewer. (1.5mb approx);

http://www.parallelgraphics.com/products/cortona/

BTW Is the sky not meant to be pink? :lol:

regards
TERRIER
1.6.0:AMDAth1.2GHz 1GbDDR266:Ge6200 256mbDDR250:WinXP-SP3:1280x1024x32FS:v196.21@AA4x:AF16x:IS=HQ:T.Buff=ON Earth16Kdds@15KkmArctic2000AD:FOV1:SPEC L5dds:NORM L5dxt5:CLOUD L5dds:
NIGHT L5dds:MOON L4dds:GALXY ON:MAG 15.2-SAP:TIME 1000x:RP=OGL2:10.3FPS

JackHiggins
With us: 21 years 6 months

Post #4by JackHiggins » 22.10.2003, 21:00

T.A.R.D.I.S

...?

:?

(I've never seen Dr. Who btw- before my time!)
- Jack Higgins

Jack's Celestia Add-ons

And visit my Celestia Gallery too!

selden
Developer
With us: 21 years 10 months

Post #5by selden » 22.10.2003, 22:08

Jack,

You've never seen Dr.Who??? Oh, the horror!

The old BBC series is now becoming available on DVD.
Apparently copyright issues have been resolved and the new BBC live-action series will be starting in 2005. An animated version will start before then.
See http://www0.bbc.co.uk/cult/news/drwho/2003/09/26/7012.shtml

TARDIS = Time And Relative Dimension In Space.

I guess it makes about as much sense as a vehicle name as "Pathfinder". :)
Selden

TERRIER

Post #6by TERRIER » 22.10.2003, 22:52

Rass
I should be more specific with my model request. I'd like to see how a non-textured metalic model would look. Many of Jack's models are an example of this, maybe one of his lunar landers?

Jack
(I've never seen Dr. Who btw- before my time!)
There's plenty of opportunity for you to catch up, if you check out UK Gold on weekends!

Seldon
An animated version will start before then.

What a good idea, they should have done it years ago. If it's going to be anywhere as near as good as what I remember of the animated Star Trek series, then they're onto a winner.
This has just reminded me of that horrible looking alien that used to sit at the healm or weapons control of the Enterprise - it used to scare the hell out of me 8O

http://www.startrekanimated.com/tas_cci_11.jpg

regards
TERRIER
1.6.0:AMDAth1.2GHz 1GbDDR266:Ge6200 256mbDDR250:WinXP-SP3:1280x1024x32FS:v196.21@AA4x:AF16x:IS=HQ:T.Buff=ON Earth16Kdds@15KkmArctic2000AD:FOV1:SPEC L5dds:NORM L5dxt5:CLOUD L5dds:

Topic author
Rassilon

Post #7by Rassilon » 23.10.2003, 01:53

TERRIER:

If you have 3d studio max you can export any of your models to VRML97 format. Dont forget to add a camera and a navigation node...The VRML97 nodes can be found in the Helpers menu under VRML97...

I might possibly play around some with doing the viking lander on Mars this weekend...but as for metallic...VRML97 supports alpha png files, speculars...not spec maps unfortunately..ambient light and emissives which will be good for building cities in a night scape...

You all might have better luck with the controls Cosmo Player uses...I personally find it easier to manage, and yes I only allowed walking on the planets...Time Lords dont have wings :P
I'm trying to teach the cavemen how to play scrabble, its uphill work. The only word they know is Uhh and they dont know how to spell it!

AdamOfTheTable
With us: 20 years 8 months

Dr. Who

Post #8by AdamOfTheTable » 23.10.2003, 02:16

Ahh I remember that show. They used to play it here for a while. Making models of stuff from it for Celestia? Neat.

"We obey no one...We are the superior beings!"
Windows XP Pro 1Ghz Athlon 768Mb RAM
ATI Radeon 8500 128Mb video RAM
using Catalyst 3.9 drivers
Celestia 1.3.1

Topic author
Rassilon

Post #9by Rassilon » 24.10.2003, 17:33

TERRIER:

http://www.celestialvisions.net/addons/viking.zip

Needs some decals but overall looks ok...The model I think was originally posted here by alan_federman...

Adam...

Yes Doctor who is quite addicive...

TERRIER

Post #10by TERRIER » 26.10.2003, 14:32

Rass

I've only just had chance to view your martian surface and it looks great, and all created from just 3 small jpg texture tiles.

This would be a cool way for alternative viewing of surface landers / space colonies / buildings (thinking about Jacks KSC model!) on planets. 8)

The viking model however, only seems to appear in a form of silhouette from a distance, until you use the goto feature or get up really close to it. Then it looks quite good!

Unfortunately I don't have 3d studio max, I've only got good old anim8or. But I wouldn't mind a play around with this!

Regards
TERRIER

PS This mornings episode of Dr Who was 'Mawdryn Undead', which I didn't see. I also assume you have access to the BBCi website - there's enough Dr Who stuff on there to last a Timelord's lifetime!!!!

Post #11by Guest » 27.10.2003, 14:05

Glad you liked it TERRIER...

Mawdryn Undead is one strange episode...Especially with the aliens who are missing the tops of thier heads...Reminds me of a cheesy horror flick...

I am excited about the End of the Universe collection Box Set I am waiting for...14 tapes of episodes Ive never seen...Horns of Nimon, Creature from the Pit and Planet of the Dinosaurs to name a few...

On the VRML...Im currently working on an addon for Celestia that will incorperate these worlds into info links in Celestia...I have an idea of creating multiple locations that link until chris adds url's to locations...if he ever does...

When its done Ill post it in the Addons forum...

Re: Celestia & VRML

Post #12by Guest » 29.10.2003, 11:15

Rassilon wrote:I have created a forum specifically for this addition to Celestia...
http://www.celestialvisions.net/forums/ ... wtopic=111

Any chances of having an old fashioned mailing list instead, or a bidirectional email gateway?

Paolo Amoroso

Return to “Celestia Users”