how do I save my options

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.

how do I save my options

Post #1by Guest » 09.07.2003, 16:01

Whenever I load celestia, it has all the orbits shown, so I have to go to the options and turn it off. Whenever I restart Celestia, I have to turn off the orbits each time.

how do I configure Celestia to keep my options after I shut down Celestia?

thanks

Joe

Post #2by Joe » 09.07.2003, 19:48

Good question. I hope someone answers soon.

selden
Developer
With us: 22 years

Post #3by selden » 09.07.2003, 20:42

Celestia has always saved my orbit options from one run to the next.

It could be a bug in some particular prerelease or on one particular type of system. You'll have to tell us exactly what version of Celestia you're using on what kind of system. Please read the FAQ at the top of the Users forum. Q2/A2 shows what information is needed.
Selden

Post #4by Guest » 09.07.2003, 21:48

I ran the Celestia demo and the orbits disappeared and remained disappeared when I restarted Celestia. The orbit check boxes in the Render menu "View Options" are still checked on, but the orbits don't appear anymore.

Now I can't bring the orbits back.

I have an old machine:

512MB SDRAM; AMD Athlon 800 MHz;
NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 Model 64 (32MB) - Most recent drivers
Windows 2000, Service Pack 3
Celestia 1.3.1 prerelease 6

selden
Developer

Post #5by selden » 09.07.2003, 22:48

pre6 has both an over-all orbit display enable check-box in the upper half of the menu window as well as individual orbit type checkboxes in the lower half. When the demo script exits, it leaves the over-all orbit box unchecked.

When I select (check) the over-all orbit box after the demo script has exited, orbits reappear. Click on OK to exit the render view-options menu, not the X in the upper right corner. After doing that, when I exit and restart Celestia orbits are still visible.

Does this help?
Selden

Post #6by Guest » 09.07.2003, 23:02

It looks like that was the problem. For some reason, it seems that everytime I start Celestia, the following check boxes become checked:

Orbit / Moons
Orbit / Planets

The Orbits check box above stays the way it was when Celestia was shut down but these two do not.

So what happened was, I must have checked that Orbits check box at some time and then to take away the orbits, I would uncheck the Orbit / Moons and Orbit / Planets check boxes, the orbits would go away.

Then I would restart Celestia and these two check boxes would become checked again and the orbits would reappear.

Now I unchecked the Orbit checkbox also and the orbits have stopped coming back each time I restart Celestia.

selden
Developer

Post #7by selden » 09.07.2003, 23:12

Apparently the new orbit display options aren't saved & restored. They're set to particular values when Celestia restarts. I've posted a message to the "Bugs" forum about this.
Selden

abiogenesis
With us: 22 years 3 months

Post #8by abiogenesis » 10.07.2003, 04:23

It looks like that was the problem. For some reason, it seems that everytime I start Celestia, the following check boxes become checked:

Orbit / Moons
Orbit / Planets

That's a remnant of the way orbits used to work. There's an overall "draw orbits" option, specified by the Orbits checkbox, and an orbit "mask" that dictates which types of orbits can be drawn. This mask is initialized to Planets | Moons. The latest pre-release exposes the flags to the user, but the initialization remains.

The overall "draw orbits" setting is saved but the mask is always initialized to Planets | Moons.

- a b i o g e n e s i s -

Return to “Celestia Users”