(feature request) Sky maps?

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
Topic author
Evil Dr Ganymede
With us: 21 years 3 months

(feature request) Sky maps?

Post #1by Evil Dr Ganymede » 29.06.2003, 23:52

How easy/difficult/impossible would it be to introduce a way to generate a 'sky map' from a location on a planet? By which I mean, produce an image that shows what one would see in the sky from that location, like what you see in astronomy magazines? (it'd be a 360 degree image of everything above the horizon, centre it around the local zenith).

pint

Re: (feature request) Sky maps?

Post #2by pint » 30.06.2003, 12:07

Evil Dr Ganymede wrote:How easy/difficult/impossible would it be to introduce a way to generate a 'sky map' from a location on a planet? By which I mean, produce an image that shows what one would see in the sky from that location, like what you see in astronomy magazines? (it'd be a 360 degree image of everything above the horizon, centre it around the local zenith).

i guess it is as easy as setting the FOV to 180 deg. however it is currently impossible, but I see to technical problem to allow it.

can someone confirm this?

Topic author
Evil Dr Ganymede

Post #3by Evil Dr Ganymede » 30.06.2003, 16:54

Of course, one problem is that now that we do have locations in the newest version of Celestia, it doesn't actually seem possible to go to them automatically (e.g. I can't type in 'Seattle' and press G to go there directly to that lat/lon and one planetary radius, and then be able to look up and see the sky from there). Is this capability going to be added in later versions at all? I can't see how it'd be too hard to do.

chris
Site Admin
With us: 22 years 8 months

Post #4by chris » 30.06.2003, 16:59

Just yesterday added the capability to select locations by entering a name . . . Unfortunately, you still have to type (to choose a very relevant example for the Evil Dr) Earth/Victoria instead of just Victoria. I'm going to change it so that the planet/moon name isn't necessary if it's the current selection.

--Chris

Topic author
Evil Dr Ganymede

Post #5by Evil Dr Ganymede » 30.06.2003, 17:37

chris wrote:Just yesterday added the capability to select locations by entering a name . . . Unfortunately, you still have to type (to choose a very relevant example for the Evil Dr) Earth/Victoria instead of just Victoria. I'm going to change it so that the planet/moon name isn't necessary if it's the current selection.

--Chris

Seattle's close enough for me ;). Thanks.

Now, can the field of view be upped to 180 degrees? Or would you need a different rendering system for that (a 'fish eye lens' type thing?)

Return to “Celestia Users”