Translators wanted

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
Wheelie
With us: 22 years

Too flym

Post #21by Wheelie » 12.06.2003, 12:11

flym wrote:Here I am for italian translation.
I hope I can work with that file under Window :oops: ... at the first try I got PowerPoint trying to do something with it.... :roll:

Yeah... that pot extention is for PP to, but you can open it with notepad or any other text (ascII) editor.

julesstoop
With us: 22 years 6 months

Post #22by julesstoop » 12.06.2003, 20:58

I've sent an email to the other two people buzy with a Dutch translation. I hope we'll share our thoughts soon in order to come up with something good.
Lapinism matters!
http://settuno.com/

kary
With us: 21 years 3 months

Czech/Slovak Language

Post #23by kary » 14.06.2003, 10:54

I can translate to czech/slovak (they are similar) language... English lang file :D

ironhell3

greek update

Post #24by ironhell3 » 16.06.2003, 17:36

Ok, i will transate it in greek (hellenic).Is there a message freeze or not?

Topic author
Christophe
Developer
With us: 22 years 2 months

Re: greek update

Post #25by Christophe » 16.06.2003, 17:45

ironhell3 wrote:Ok, i will transate it in greek (hellenic).Is there a message freeze or not?

There is no message freeze yet, but there are only 200 messages and only a couple of them are subject to change so you can start translating now.
Christophe

chris
Site Admin
With us: 22 years 8 months

Post #26by chris » 16.06.2003, 18:12

On the Windows front, I've figured out how to create resource DLLs that contain menus and dialogs with translated strings. Now, I need to figure out how to apply the translation files to the resource source files . . . it seems like someone must have had to solve this problem already.

A somewhat harder problem is translating the text rendered with OpenGL . . . The texture fonts currently used in Celestia don't even have the full Latin character set. That's not such a problem, but adding alternate alphabets like Greek, Cyrillic, Arabic, Hebrew, etc. presents a bit of a problem. Non-alphabetic character sets like kanji represent an even bigger problem, though hopefully not an insurmountable one.

Christophe, does KDE use UTF-8?

--Chris

Topic author
Christophe
Developer

Post #27by Christophe » 16.06.2003, 18:33

chris wrote:On the Windows front, I've figured out how to create resource DLLs that contain menus and dialogs with translated strings. Now, I need to figure out how to apply the translation files to the resource source files . . . it seems like someone must have had to solve this problem already.

Yes probably, although there aren't that many cross-platform application that don't use a cross-platform framework which takes care of i18n.

chris wrote:A somewhat harder problem is translating the text rendered with OpenGL . . . The texture fonts currently used in Celestia don't even have the full Latin character set. That's not such a problem, but adding alternate alphabets like Greek, Cyrillic, Arabic, Hebrew, etc. presents a bit of a problem. Non-alphabetic character sets like kanji represent an even bigger problem, though hopefully not an insurmountable one.

Would it be possible to use Freetype2 to directly render TTF fonts rather than using a bitmapped font?

chris wrote:Christophe, does KDE use UTF-8?

Yes, that's even the default setting on most distributions nowadays.
Christophe

chris
Site Admin

Post #28by chris » 16.06.2003, 19:11

Christophe wrote:Would it be possible to use Freetype2 to directly render TTF fonts rather than using a bitmapped font?

In order to render text quickly with OpenGL, the glyphs need to be stored in a texture. But it would be possible to use Freetype2 to generate the glyphs at runtime rather than supplying pre-built fonts. I'm somewhat concerned about adding too many external library dependencies into Celestia however . . . This isn't a problem when distributing a binary (though it does increase the package size), but what about Linux users who build from source? Having the right Freetype2 library is yet another requirement for them. Does KDE use Freetype2, making it safe to assume that someone with KDE3 will have a recent version of the Freetype2 libraries?

--Chris

Topic author
Christophe
Developer

Post #29by Christophe » 16.06.2003, 19:39

chris wrote:Having the right Freetype2 library is yet another requirement for them. Does KDE use Freetype2, making it safe to assume that someone with KDE3 will have a recent version of the Freetype2 libraries?

Yes KDE (QT) uses Freetype as does GTK2. It is not a strong requirement as client side font rendering is now the norm on X.
Christophe

steffens

Post #30by steffens » 22.07.2003, 08:04

I just started a german translation. I will send it to Christophe as soon as possible, if that's ok.

JLP

Slovenian

Post #31by JLP » 09.08.2003, 21:50

I'll start the Slovenian translation sometime soon. I still have some other Linux astronomy apps left to translate :)
Live long and prosper!

DavidOrtmann
With us: 21 years 1 month

German translation...

Post #32by DavidOrtmann » 19.08.2003, 10:03

Hi,
steffens wrote:I just started a german translation. I will send it to Christophe as soon as possible, if that's ok.

Steffen: Do you also translate the User Guide? Otherwise I would like to do that in the next weeks (if you do translate them, maybe I can give you a helping hand - I am very eager to do something for the German version of Celestia).

Maybe you can post a response to this message board or send a mail to david-ortmann@gmx.de.

Thanks,
David

steffens

Re: German translation...

Post #33by steffens » 19.08.2003, 10:31

DavidOrtmann wrote:Steffen: Do you also translate the User Guide? Otherwise I would like to do that in the next weeks (if you do translate them, maybe I can give you a helping hand - I am very eager to do something for the German version of Celestia).

No, I really don't think I will have the time for that. In fact, I did not even check my translation for celestia from within celestia! I guess that I should have a look at it once more to make some of the labels / messages a bit more clear / crisp / whatever. The problem is that I could not get the translations to show up in my celestia. A "make install" does not seem to do anything for the "po" folder yet and I don't know how to enable my de.po manually.
Even worse, I could not build recent cvs-versions of celestia at all. There are compile-errors (which I don't remember right now, I'm not at home...). I will try it again later and post the log if the problem ist still there...

bye and thanks in advance for your efforts

steffens

DavidOrtmann

Post #34by DavidOrtmann » 19.08.2003, 10:49

Hi,
No, I really don't think I will have the time for that. In fact, I did not even check my translation for celestia from within celestia! I guess that I should have a look at it once more to make some of the labels / messages a bit more clear / crisp / whatever. The problem is that I could not get the translations to show up in my celestia. A "make install" does not seem to do anything for the "po" folder yet and I don't know how to enable my de.po manually
Cannot help you there, I use windows as a platform... ;-)

Even worse, I could not build recent cvs-versions of celestia at all. There are compile-errors (which I don't remember right now, I'm not at home...). I will try it again later and post the log if the problem ist
*g*

still there...

bye and thanks in advance for your efforts

No prob. OK, I will start to translate the User Guide then. I have plenty of time as I am a student... ;-)
Perhaps I will send a short mail to Christophe to make sure I do not translate in vain...

Bye,
David
Dessau, Saxony-Anhalt

Topic author
Christophe
Developer

Post #35by Christophe » 19.08.2003, 11:03

steffens wrote:No, I really don't think I will have the time for that. In fact, I did not even check my translation for celestia from within celestia! I guess that I should have a look at it once more to make some of the labels / messages a bit more clear / crisp / whatever. The problem is that I could not get the translations to show up in my celestia. A "make install" does not seem to do anything for the "po" folder yet and I don't know how to enable my de.po manually.
Even worse, I could not build recent cvs-versions of celestia at all. There are compile-errors (which I don't remember right now, I'm not at home...). I will try it again later and post the log if the problem ist still there...

The linux build problems have been fixed in CVS, updating should enable your de translation installation. Otherwise you can install it manualy:

Code: Select all

> msgfmt -o de.gmo ./de.po
> cp de.gmo /usr/share/locale/de/LC_MESSAGES/celestia.mo
Christophe

DavidOrtmann

Umlaute...

Post #36by DavidOrtmann » 19.08.2003, 14:34

Hi,
I just discovered that the program ignores the German Umlaute (??????) and the ? when entered in one of the files (like the demo-script).

Is there any way to make the program show these characters properly?

David

P.S.: I translated the guide.cel without any problems because the information is given in a separate box. But the text from the demo.cel is shown within the program itself (in this blueish colour) and then the Umlaute are erased.

Post #37by Guest » 20.08.2003, 12:48

Christophe wrote:The linux build problems have been fixed in CVS, updating should enable your de translation installation. Otherwise you can install it manualy:

Code: Select all

> msgfmt -o de.gmo ./de.po
> cp de.gmo /usr/share/locale/de/LC_MESSAGES/celestia.mo

Unfortunately, I still can not compile from cvs. I posted about this at the "Bugs" board (hope that's ok).
How is the translation file installed? Will it be copied to the right place by "make install"? I have not found the corresponding code in the Makefile of the kde/po folder???

steffens

Topic author
Christophe
Developer

Post #38by Christophe » 20.08.2003, 15:09

Anonymous wrote:Unfortunately, I still can not compile from cvs. I posted about this at the "Bugs" board (hope that's ok).
How is the translation file installed? Will it be copied to the right place by "make install"? I have not found the corresponding code in the Makefile of the kde/po folder???

Yes, 'make' runs the msgfmt command and 'make install' copies the gmo file to the locale directory.

I'll have a look at your build problem.
Christophe

steffens

Post #39by steffens » 07.10.2003, 08:26

OK, I finally managed to compile from cvs again (after inserting "#include <algorithm>" into image.cpp, why is this not in cvs :?: ) and after manually :!: creating and installing my .mo file I had nice german translations.
There is still one thing I'm not quite happy with: there are some menu entries where there are standard translations available. For example, entry "Home" is not in the .po files and gets translated to "Dateianfang" on my system, which is definitely not a very good description for "go to our sun"!
Can such standard items be overridden by .po files? Should I simply add these messages?

steffens

Topic author
Christophe
Developer

Post #40by Christophe » 07.10.2003, 08:58

steffens wrote:OK, I finally managed to compile from cvs again (after inserting "#include <algorithm>" into image.cpp, why is this not in cvs :?: )

That's because it depends on the version of gcc you're using. Chris runs RedHat and don't have any of those build problems and neither do I. Fridger, who uses SuSE has been complaining a lot about those issues too, you're not the only one affected.

steffens wrote:There is still one thing I'm not quite happy with: there are some menu entries where there are standard translations available. For example, entry "Home" is not in the .po files and gets translated to "Dateianfang" on my system, which is definitely not a very good description for "go to our sun"!
Can such standard items be overridden by .po files? Should I simply add these messages?

I suppose you can add them to the application .po file and that will overwrite the system's defaults, but I've never tried it. If it does work, please send me your modified po file so that I can commit it into cvs.
Christophe

Return to “Celestia Users”