Observer under Gravity Influence

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
Topic author
mt_sabao
With us: 22 years 5 months

Observer under Gravity Influence

Post #1by mt_sabao » 10.04.2002, 13:23

A sugestion fot future inplementation (not a original one, i supose):

Wouldn?t it be possible to consider us (the observer) as a mass under the influence of gravity? That is, when we would travel near a planet our trajectory would be influenced by it?s gravity. Celestia would even determine our orbit, considering our current speed, mass and influence of gravity.
We could then be able to enter an orbit around the planet, crash on its surface and other funny/geeky stuff :P

Fleegle
With us: 22 years 5 months

Post #2by Fleegle » 17.04.2002, 04:00

I think even just collision detection in Celestia would be great. It would stop me from flying through planets. Of course there would have to be an option to turn off collision detection if you wanted. There could be an "observer" mode and a "spacecraft" mode or something.

I get the feeling that gravity in Celestia is a while off, but that's another feature I'd love to see.

Sum0
With us: 22 years 6 months

Post #3by Sum0 » 17.04.2002, 18:32

Does anyone remember Solar System Simulator (predessecor to Open Universe)? It had some sort of orbit mode, which unsurprisingly orbited you around a planet (at a different speed from the planet, otherwise it would be sync orbit). I think it'd be cool if Celestia had something like this.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Pixel

Post #4by Pixel » 18.04.2002, 10:22

Sum0 wrote:Does anyone remember Solar System Simulator (predessecor to Open Universe)? It had some sort of orbit mode, which unsurprisingly orbited you around a planet (at a different speed from the planet, otherwise it would be sync orbit). I think it'd be cool if Celestia had something like this.

You always can sync the camera to ISS for example :wink: or to a virtual model that you create.

Post #5by Guest » 18.04.2002, 12:00

Follow Halley, track Sol and set time to 100.000.000 faster.

Return to “Celestia Users”