Kudos and request...

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.

Kudos and request...

Post #1by Guest » 13.04.2002, 20:09

This program is *spectacular*!
There's just one thing missing, tho'....

"Blue Danube" playing in the background :D

Seriously, tho'...as mentioned in other threads, a built-in mucis module would make things so much more enjoyable....

Post #2by Guest » 14.04.2002, 03:19

You can always play an MP3 in the background while running Celsetia. I do that.

Post #3by Guest » 14.04.2002, 13:12

I agree. Celestia doesn't need music, (except just possibly also spauch Zarathrusta (bad spelling) at the start) but it does need sounds. The first thing I thought when I ran it for the very first time was, "Wow ! A ten megabyte file that was worth the download time ! But where's the sound ? Oh, it doesn't seem to have any......". No criticism intended, but it would seem much more professional* with some noises - maybe the kind you get in Star Trek with the deep rumbles of planets, and definately some kind of warp effect when travelling long distances.

*Professional is the wrong word. Celstia is VERY professional, I just can't think of a better word. Sorry !

(Mad Boris)

Rassilon
With us: 22 years 8 months

Post #4by Rassilon » 14.04.2002, 18:27

I think in realism the planets alone should have sounds when entering the atmosphere...Well anything entering its atmosphere inc. stars...This would add to the realism! Using mp3 technology at a low bit rate, small sampled clips cycling indefinately! This would take little to no cpu power....
I'm trying to teach the cavemen how to play scrabble, its uphill work. The only word they know is Uhh and they dont know how to spell it!

IlyaG
With us: 22 years 5 months

Post #5by IlyaG » 15.04.2002, 19:02

...and yet would not be very realistic.

"In space, no one can hear you scream, unless it is the battlecry of a U.S. Marine" - Space: Above and Beyond

Sum0
With us: 22 years 6 months

Post #6by Sum0 » 15.04.2002, 19:50

I don't see why there wouldn't be sounds on planets, since there's air (is there thunder on Jupiter along with lightning?)... Somewhere on the [url=jpl.nasa.gov]JPL[/url] site there's some weird sounds created from readings from the gas giants, somehow... which would be nice.
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Post #7by Guest » 15.04.2002, 21:24

Sounds when entering the atmosphere could be realistic - but the purpose of sounds is NOT to add realism, it's just to give the program a better "feel" to it.

(Mad Boris)

Sum0
With us: 22 years 6 months

Post #8by Sum0 » 16.04.2002, 15:53

If there was a sound that would enhance Celestia, it would be something to (ironically) highlight the silence - sort of a whistling cold wind noise, to give you the feeling of emptiness... It would be very unrealistic, but...
"I have been asked, 'Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?' I am not able to rightly apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Post #9by Guest » 16.04.2002, 16:51

Hmm.... maybe. As long as it varied in volume, sometimes quite clear, other times not really noticeable. Something echoy. Also I strongly feel the program would "look" really good if there was some fairly loud, dramatic sound at the start - just a few notes or something.

(Mad Boris)

Avetikus

re:

Post #10by Avetikus » 22.04.2002, 04:34

I've got a couple of marine cds.

Anyone point me to an easy-to-use ripper so I can put the cds on my HD for winamp? I like listening to whalesong while poking around the solar system. =)

Thanks in advance

MRodriguez

Post #11by guest » 22.04.2002, 05:27

thruster sounds would add a better feel and could also be argued as realistic. i am assuming that you can hear thruster sounds from inside a craft.

Return to “Celestia Users”