Custom Science-Fiction Pictures from Celestia

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
eburacum45
With us: 20 years 7 months

Re: Custom Science-Fiction Pictures from Celestia

Post #61by eburacum45 » 25.10.2012, 22:56

PlutonianEmpire wrote:
Tegmine wrote:Very nice work, you two!!! Eburacum, I'm gonna guess that the world on the left of the twin worlds is the closer of the two in this shot, (am I right?) Still a very cool concept, although the tides on such worlds would be fierce beyond measure.
Wouldn't the tides stay in the same place, since they're tide-locked to each other? I've figured that since both objects stay in the exact same position in each other's skies perpetually, the tides pretty much wouldn't go anywhere. Probably the only mobile tides would be the ones caused by the sun(s).

That's my guess, anyway. :)

Yes, I assume that tides on these two tidally locked worlds are minimal, although if anyone knows why this should not be I'd be very interested. I'm also working on a pair of non-tidally locked worlds (Laurel and Hardy) where the tides are quite remarkable, and so are the earthquakes.

PlutonianEmpire M
With us: 19 years 9 months

Post #62by PlutonianEmpire » 27.10.2012, 07:22

eburacum45 wrote:
PlutonianEmpire wrote:
Tegmine wrote:Very nice work, you two!!! Eburacum, I'm gonna guess that the world on the left of the twin worlds is the closer of the two in this shot, (am I right?) Still a very cool concept, although the tides on such worlds would be fierce beyond measure.
Wouldn't the tides stay in the same place, since they're tide-locked to each other? I've figured that since both objects stay in the exact same position in each other's skies perpetually, the tides pretty much wouldn't go anywhere. Probably the only mobile tides would be the ones caused by the sun(s).

That's my guess, anyway. :)

Yes, I assume that tides on these two tidally locked worlds are minimal, although if anyone knows why this should not be I'd be very interested. I'm also working on a pair of non-tidally locked worlds (Laurel and Hardy) where the tides are quite remarkable, and so are the earthquakes.
True, and I know that, like everything, nothing is perfect, with a good example being the Pluto-Charon system; where while Pluto and Charon are mostly tide-locked, there is orbital eccentricity AND that they are slightly oblique to their orbits around each other, so I'd expect something similar for tide-locked binary worlds. :)

Guckytos wrote:Because of recent events there are a few additional rules that are now added to the forum:

1. No sockpuppets allowed, anyone suspected to use one or be one will be banned permanently after 1 warning.

2. Only posting of pictures allowed in the Subforum "Celestia Users" that meet the following criteria:
  • high polygon count and details of the model
  • pictures shall show more than a black background with the model
  • if they are low polygon models, they must be original models created by yourself and NOT be from any SciFi series
  • If a model or surface texture that you show is based on someone else's work, remember that they own the copyright to it, you do not. You must provide full attribution: who created the original design, picture or model, where you obtained the design, picture or model (the complete URL or other details), and that you have the creator's permission to use the design, picture or model and to display images of it.
  • If you created the model or surface texture, you must so state.

Forbidden pictures are:
  • pictures with low polygon models of any kind of SciFi series
  • a model before a black background only
  • models or surface textures without full attribution

Anyone found breaching the above rules a certain amount of times will face consequences.

The things listed under point 2 are only a rough guideline at the moment and can or will be changed if there is a good reason provided. Changes can be proposed by forum members.
Pffft. :roll: In that case, I might as well just stop posting screenshots here. :?

*Bye everyone, nice knowing ya.

*I'll still stick around for general discussion and help, but that's it.
Terraformed Pluto: Now with New Horizons maps! :D

kristoffer
With us: 13 years 4 months

Post #63by kristoffer » 27.10.2012, 12:31

PlutonianEmpire wrote:I was looking at a collection of old CD-RW, and apparently, I found a full, complete stash of old addons from Rassilon (already aware of the directories on archive.org, but I have a 4gb internet data limit. :( ), so I figured I'd try my hand at updating them to 1.6.1, and to more recent data too, as well as hopefully better physics. :mrgreen:

So far I did three addons, with some success, Eta Car, V380, and Toliman.

Here's screenies of the latter two:

v380_1.jpg

And, I decided to apply a pre-existing texture to the new planet around alf Cen B, and used the browser-based ssc generator for randomization, and it looked nice, IMO. :)

Really nice. Is it only me who think this looks like the Earth and the Moon?
Computer specs

ASUS CG8350-NR001S
Windows® 8 64-bits
Intel® Core™ i7-3770 3.9GHz
Intel® H67 Express Chipset
12GB DDR3 1333 MHz
1000 GB SATA3 7200 rpm
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 660 3072 MB
1 x 8 Channel Audio
1000Mbit/s Ethernet LAN
802.11bgn

Tegmine
With us: 13 years 3 months

Post #64by Tegmine » 26.02.2013, 12:44

It's been a while since I've posted anything, but I wanted to share this. The cold, outpost world orbiting Psi Capricorni...(courtesy of GIMP and Wilbur...)

Maybe someday I'll release it...maybe.

-M-

PlutonianEmpire M

Post #65by PlutonianEmpire » 15.04.2013, 06:43

Fictitious habitable and companion exomoons around known real life exoplanet HD 23079b.

Recently, I realized I still have the original, 9 year old, hand-painted map for the original form of Belle Hades, but it was unrealistically simple, containing just 3 colors, blue, green, and white. So, using some of my texturing skills from over the years, I beefed up the map and re-created the original Belle Hades. Sadly, I deleted the textures for the original Lethe and Tartarus, as well as BH's original cloud maps, but I do have them backed up somewhere, so in the meantime, I'm using pre-made textures from elsewhere as substitutes.

The original Belle Hades was a physics-violating, Neptune-sized, habitable hyper-terrestrial orbiting ALF Cyg (Deneb). :P

Enjoy. :)

(All images clickable for larger versions.)

Tegmine

Post #66by Tegmine » 16.04.2013, 00:15

You forget tidal heating...and besides, this IS fiction. I rather liked it.

P.E....your work has DEFINATELY come a long way! I deleted a lot of my old textures...I couldn't stand the sight of them. Very nicely done!

Ignore the trolls.

-M-

PlutonianEmpire M

Post #67by PlutonianEmpire » 16.04.2013, 01:12

Tegmine wrote:You forget tidal heating...and besides, this IS fiction. I rather liked it.

P.E....your work has DEFINATELY come a long way! I deleted a lot of my old textures...I couldn't stand the sight of them. Very nicely done!
Thanks! :)

I actally intend to process it through wilbur at some point in the future, so I can get proper heightmaps for the bumps and normals, and create rivers for it. I know last year I achieved some success with the current Belle Hades map (the one around DEL Tri), and replaced the cloud map. Sadly, my primary laptop's motherboard died at the end of this past february, so until I get it fixed, I'll have to wait to get it back before continuing work on that and the canonical universe of my short story around it. (That laptop's screen is wider and narrower than the one I'm using now to work on Celestia. It also has all the data I need but don't have. :( )

I did, however, find a perfectly preserved copy of the 4k png main texture from the wilbur processing on my android device, and so was able to partially rebuild it. I did have to re-do the cloudmap though, but as luck would have it, it turned out nicer than the one on the broken computer.

I'll post the pics once this 4 year old "smart" phone starts cooperating again. :roll: :lol:

Ignore the trolls.
I think I've gotten better at that here lately. :)

Cheers. :)

Edit: Regarding Wilbur, I think that a good starting point, if you wanted to improve your old textures, would be to take the spec maps, and go from there with your favorite texture techniques. :)

Tegmine

Post #68by Tegmine » 16.04.2013, 03:43

Yeah, taking the spec maps and going from there has been a LIFE SAVER.

-M-

Tegmine

Post #69by Tegmine » 16.04.2013, 12:06

Here's some other stuff...

-M-

Fenerit M
With us: 17 years 3 months

Post #70by Fenerit » 17.04.2013, 09:04

Please moderator: move this ST image and its post within the fitted thread. This is not the thread for ST stuffs.
Never at rest.
Massimo

Tegmine

Post #71by Tegmine » 17.04.2013, 11:28

I wholeheartedly agree. That "picture" has no place in this thread. Remove it.

-M-

Fenerit M
With us: 17 years 3 months

Post #72by Fenerit » 17.04.2013, 21:11

This latter At 47 planet is a good planet, really. The thread was open after harsh discussions concerning the invasion of ST stuffs for whatever threads involving sci-fi pictures from Celestia. It was stated that this thread should have been free of unoriginal, i.e not made-in-yourself, sci-fi stuffs.
Never at rest.
Massimo

t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 2 months

Post #73by t00fri » 17.04.2013, 21:59

argelesmer wrote:Far away in space... UPDATE a gasouz giant with vertical rings !
vertical rings.jpg

Man...how do you define vertical in empty space??

F.

W0RLDBUILDER
With us: 14 years

Post #74by W0RLDBUILDER » 17.04.2013, 23:01

Hopefully I'll finish this system eventually. This is the planet Maladaeon.

Tegmine

Post #75by Tegmine » 18.04.2013, 01:49

Neat! How long have you been working on it?

-M-

W0RLDBUILDER

Post #76by W0RLDBUILDER » 18.04.2013, 22:58

Tegmine wrote:Neat! How long have you been working on it?

-M-
Just started. I don't often finish my projects for some reason.

kristoffer
With us: 13 years 4 months

Post #77by kristoffer » 19.04.2013, 11:08

Newly discovered planets by Kepler space telescope. 2 of them potentially habitable.
Based on the concept arts

Kepler-62b

Kepler-62c

Kepler-62d. It is supposed to be a some kind of a desert-planet with clouds, based on the concept art. It is the closest I got of it.

Kepler-62e

Kepler-62f
Computer specs

ASUS CG8350-NR001S
Windows® 8 64-bits
Intel® Core™ i7-3770 3.9GHz
Intel® H67 Express Chipset
12GB DDR3 1333 MHz
1000 GB SATA3 7200 rpm
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 660 3072 MB
1 x 8 Channel Audio
1000Mbit/s Ethernet LAN
802.11bgn

W0RLDBUILDER

Post #78by W0RLDBUILDER » 19.04.2013, 23:23

kristoffer wrote:Kepler-62b
Please don't recolor Venus for volcanic planets without first doing some heavy editing. It's too recognizable.

PlutonianEmpire M

Post #79by PlutonianEmpire » 30.05.2013, 03:28

Last night, I posted on facebook a gimped photo where I replaced the moon with two moons of one of my planets', and my father made an off-hand(?) comment about them orbiting each other, although I told him they each had their own circumplanetary orbits.

But then today, it had me wondering, might that actually be a more reasonable/plausible or even more stable if they orbited each other than individually orbiting the terrestrial host planet?

The photo:

Using my favorite planet ( ;) ) as an example;

The typical(?) two-moon-terrestrial trope:

The alternative(?) to the above:

Although, are there any sci-fi out there that have examples of the third pic (two moons orbiting each other)?

PlutonianEmpire M

Post #80by PlutonianEmpire » 16.06.2013, 02:07

These worlds are Green With Envy... :mrgreen: ;)

Alien hurricanes....

Found this "sinister"-looking bay on terraformed Pluto. I promise it was completely unintentional. ;)

Return to “Celestia Users”