Introducing me & suggestions

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
Topic author
mrteemumilto
With us: 12 years 5 months

Introducing me & suggestions

Post #1by mrteemumilto » 25.12.2011, 09:29

Hi! I'm a 32 year old guy from the town of Joensuu. I'm this kind of guy (04/2011, Naantali)

Nice to meet you! I would like to add that I miss a self-extracting installation archive for the add-ons. It should be just one downloadeable file and have a list of options, what you want to install. I am asking anyone to do it. I don't know how. Maybe we can do it together? Celestia Motherboard's add-ons are extremely hard to install. Some require unzipping to extras, the planet textures require unzipping to Celestia root with the included folder tree and others require modifying the celestia.cfg, so that 'it just uses s, t and k for textures instead' as I read from the readme-file. And for each add-on separately! This is impossible to do for most Celestia users and I am assuming that you add-on -uploading pros are fewer than us. How can you even recommend Celestia's great source of add-ons to someone who has never heard of Celestia. Regrettably it seems that at the moment, Celestia serves only pros, who keep installing separate add-ons, and have been building the same Celestia installation for years. There are over 50 add-ons just in the solar system - earth - overlays category, which are just 2 kb in size. I have been procrastinating this problem ever since I found the outstanding astronomy program, Celestia, the unique realistic space simulation, the only software since never. I can't help it and I hope that you care to fix the exclusive situation eventually.

Website http://www.youtube.com/mrteemumilto

Regards, Teemu

John Van Vliet
With us: 21 years 9 months

Re: Introducing me & suggestions

Post #2by John Van Vliet » 25.12.2011, 22:31

I would like to add that I miss a self-extracting installation archive for the add-ons
these are Microsoft ONLY and we would need DIFFERENT ones for xp ,vista,and 7 and 32 bit and 64 bit
6 versions of a NOT FREE os ( read 6 licenses - a lot of cash $$$ )
also a Microsoft self installing "installer" works ONLY on Microsoft
what about Apples Mac's ?
or the Debian family of Linux?
or the Redhat family of Linux
Celestia Motherboard's add-ons are extremely hard to install
What ?
we have made the add ons as easy as possible ( sometimes to easy)
extract into the " celestia/extras " folder
Now to be fair some of the very old ones do not and they are being fixed , or removed

Fenerit M
With us: 17 years 2 months

Post #3by Fenerit » 26.12.2011, 00:01

Hi Teemu: what do you have to say about the star base as is seen in ST "In search of Spock"? There are alot now on Motherlode.
http://shatters.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11187&hilit=Teemu
Maybe some thanks to the authors should be appreciated.
Never at rest.
Massimo

Topic author
mrteemumilto
With us: 12 years 5 months

Post #4by mrteemumilto » 26.12.2011, 09:56

I'm sorry that you feel that I'm not entitled to make any suggestions. I also didn't remember that I had an account, so I'm making this new one. As you are implying, I'm not trying to make multiple accounts as to troll you. After five years, that's pretty paranoid to assume. Am I chatting with the staff or some Celestia users? In both cases you have some big issues. I think I was banned for years for criticizing your misunderstandings about the right starbase model, and now with my new decent comment, you come here to behave aggressively and full of disbelief again. It is really hard to chat with you about anything, let alone improving Celestia. I think it is obvious that your negative social skills prevent it from being added with these features, not licence fees or my lack of appreciation, wheather they came from a troll or were invented by yourselves. Are you somehow unhappy with your lives over there at Shatters, so that you have make me miserable as well? Do you work in an impossible office atmosphere in the faculty of astronomy, or are you just unemployed, bitter hobbyist men who are intolerant to anybody younger than yourselves? These are rhetorical questions. :?

selden
Developer
With us: 21 years 9 months

Post #5by selden » 27.12.2011, 01:08

mrteemumilto has been banned as a troll
and this thread has been locked.

*sigh*
Selden

Return to “Celestia Users”