Old Pictures from Celestia (locked)

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
Royofsaltfleet
With us: 16 years

Re: Post your Celestia pictures!

Post #761by Royofsaltfleet » 16.11.2010, 23:38

Praxis - Praxis System
July 4th 4545

The planet Praxis was targeted as the test Bed for the Neutronium Bomb, the system was unpopulated
Neutronium Bomb
Also known as a stellar grenade and Nova Bomb, this is a huge weapon mounted on-board a frigate chassis, a fusion power plant is needed to power the weapon. A gluon gun creates and maintains a metric tonne of liquid Neutronium. Liquid Neutronium is highly unstable, exploding violently if taken out of the conditions that maintain it. The explosion of a tonne of Neutronium is powerful enough to blow apart a star up to K class and seriously disrupts other stars larger than this. First tested on a gas giant planet, the resulting explosion caused the planet to explode unexpectedly devastating the other planets in the system with Neutronium crystals travelling at relativistic speed. The observing spacecraft's and stations were also destroyed
When tested on a star, the Nova explosion destroyed the star and devastated its planetary system. The political fallout is still reeling over a decade later (4565)

Observing Praxis.jpg
Khan
Do you know the Klingon proverb that tells us revenge is a dish that is best served cold?
Its Very Cold in Space

Royofsaltfleet

Post #762by Royofsaltfleet » 16.11.2010, 23:40

Nebuchadnezzur - Epsilon Indi
january 17th 2401

In an alternate history this is the only inhabited world in the Epsilon Indi System, covered by a shroud of thick poisonous clouds this venus like world harbours the seed of a terrible empire, born from the greed of high ambition and low morals, a deadly combination. the primary city, Babylon, rose to grate prominence and power soon after sweeping all before it until its battleships were poised on earths doorstep....i wonder what fate we will have then?

Nebuchadnezzar.jpg
Khan
Do you know the Klingon proverb that tells us revenge is a dish that is best served cold?
Its Very Cold in Space

PlutonianEmpire M
With us: 19 years 9 months

Post #763by PlutonianEmpire » 22.11.2010, 04:11

I decided to see if, with my current set up, Belle Hades can get a quadruple eclipse, with two suns and two moons. Fortunately, I didn't have to go too far into the future for it.

The second shadows of each moon are really hard to see, due to the significant difference in brightness between the two suns, but they're there.
Terraformed Pluto: Now with New Horizons maps! :D

Milosz21
With us: 16 years 2 months

Post #764by Milosz21 » 25.11.2010, 03:55

Hello 8)

Habitable moon orbiting around gas giant. A lot of work with mixing Jupiter textures to made something different. This habitable moon is my first job without using programs to generate surface of the earth like planets, only play with satellite photos. Clouds done in same way (its hard to do good clouds, really hard) Probably my next add on.

This two pictures show Daemon system update and i guess is done, new textures, everything for better look. Probably i send this on motherlode soon.

Close up on moon from upper picture.

I think i will change clouds map

This pictures show few months of work, i hope you all like it. :)

Royofsaltfleet wrote:
Observing Praxis.jpg

Your gas planet, is mine Polyphemus from my Avatar System add on. So i hope you read read me, and know the rules.

Reiko
With us: 17 years 8 months

Post #765by Reiko » 26.11.2010, 06:09

Wow those look great! For good clouds the best thing to do is take a large sat image and use photoshop to clone parts and distort other parts. If you do it enough it'll look like a different cloud map then what is common with most addons.

fungun
With us: 16 years 11 months

Post #766by fungun » 26.11.2010, 16:15

Or you could go here http://xplanet.sourceforge.net/clouds.php
They are updated often.

Tim

ajtribick
Developer
With us: 20 years 10 months

Post #767by ajtribick » 27.11.2010, 07:48

Here's a work-in-progress texture for Gliese 876 c for my upcoming Gliese 876 system add-on. Further discussion about this is on this Celestial Matters forum thread.

MiR
With us: 14 years 5 months

Post #768by MiR » 29.11.2010, 06:36

I like your work, ajtribick. :) And I think it is a good idea to move such scientifically founded projects to CelestiaMatters (and maybe a link here at shatters, if there's something new). A more frequented Celestia Matters would be good for Celestia. And, ultimately, for shatters.net as well.

What I do not quite understand is: The sky colour of your planet depends on the temperature of its star. But, what's about the chemical composition of the atmosphere...? Maybe you could explain this at Celestia Matters?

Michael

ajtribick
Developer
With us: 20 years 10 months

Post #769by ajtribick » 29.11.2010, 21:13

Hi MiR,

Thanks for the comments, definitely atmospheric chemistry is something I need to go into in a bit more detail. I already linked a couple of relevant papers about the atmospheres of extrasolar gas giants and gave a brief rationale as to what I was doing on the CM thread, but yes I'd like to expand on that a bit more.

As to the Celestial Matters vs shatters, the primary reason I moved the thread discussion there is the current problems with accessing shatters.net (very slow)... certainly I wouldn't want shatters to become some sort of "unreality ghetto" for add-on discussions :)

MiR
With us: 14 years 5 months

Post #770by MiR » 30.11.2010, 06:34

Hi Andrew,

Thanks for the explanation about the atmospheric chemistry. :D

ajtribick wrote:the primary reason I moved the thread discussion there is the current problems with accessing shatters.net (very slow)...
Yes, I know about your reason. Shatters.net is slow, sometimes. (But I'm glad if it is ever available :wink: )

ajtribick wrote:certainly I wouldn't want shatters to become some sort of "unreality ghetto" for add-on discussions
Please, be sure, this is not my intention. Further I think it is not a question of "shatters.net against (versus) Celestial Matters".

I like both sites. Both sites are a very important thing for Celestia, for the add-on creators and the interested users as well. And I may repeat: A more frequented Celestial Matters would be good for Celestia. And, ultimately, for shatters.net as well. :idea:

But I think for a further discussion concerning shatters.net and Celestial Matters we better should open a new thread. Perhabs this issue is of general interest?

Again: I appreciate your work; In particular, the cloud structure and the representation of the orbital lines (This shows "time" :)).

Regards
Michael

Tavotrio

Post #771by Tavotrio » 30.11.2010, 17:20

Here are some pics from my sytem!

Nothing is wrong with the shade, both the planet and the red dwarf are orbiting the binary stars
Actually the small sun is 2 times the angular size of our sun! =P

More here

Hungry4info
With us: 18 years 9 months

Post #772by Hungry4info » 01.12.2010, 13:20

Celestia renders eclipse shadows from multiple light sources now? Nice!

Your pics are nice, too ^.^
Current Setup:
Windows 7 64 bit. Celestia 1.6.0.
AMD Athlon Processor, 1.6 Ghz, 3 Gb RAM
ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics

Tavotrio

Post #773by Tavotrio » 01.12.2010, 14:27

Just works on Celestia 1.5.1, the new version the planet texture gets red... so I don't think that 1.6 can render it

John Van Vliet
With us: 21 years 10 months

Post #774by John Van Vliet » 01.12.2010, 23:03

Just works on Celestia 1.5.1, the new version the planet texture gets red... so I don't think that 1.6 can render it

what type of texture ? it's format would help.
also 1.6 uses opengl2 and Microsoft's drivers and opengl2 DISABLED - they REMOVED the opengl code from the driver in "auto updates"
( he MS driver only partly supports the GL 1.1 specifications - we are at 2.3 )
so informing us as to
1) your operating system ? ( Windows ? xp ? vista ? 7 ? , Mac , or one of the flavors of Linux)
2) your graphics hardware ? ( built in chip ? Full 3d card ? intel, nvidia,ati - older ati chips never did support opengl )

that red you are seeing leads me to guess you are running a windows computer and using the driver FROM Microsoft
Uninstall it and install the graphics driver FROM YOUR cards manufacture's web site .

Milosz21
With us: 16 years 2 months

Post #775by Milosz21 » 03.12.2010, 11:25

Reiko wrote:Wow those look great! For good clouds the best thing to do is take a large sat image and use photoshop to clone parts and distort other parts. If you do it enough it'll look like a different cloud map then what is common with most addons.
I’m happy to see you like my work :D Must say that what u say is easiest part of work with clouds (that part I figure out alone without any help) , but for me hard part is start when I want add transparency to clouds. I will never figure it out without good tutorial, lucky I found great one here.
fungun wrote:Or you could go here http://xplanet.sourceforge.net/clouds.php
They are updated often.Tim
Thank you, next good link to collection. :D I found great clouds too on NASA page, here u go.
http://visibleearth.nasa.gov/view_rec.php?id=2432
I add transparency to this clouds some time before without changing anything, clouds looks epic in max scale of picture.

One thing, I will send to you PM about star trek ships. I hope u got my mail.

EDIT: New clouds for habitable moon.

Image Image

Tavotrio

Post #776by Tavotrio » 03.12.2010, 18:01

john Van Vliet wrote:
1) your operating system ? ( Windows ? xp ? vista ? 7 ? , Mac , or one of the flavors of Linux)
2) your graphics hardware ? ( built in chip ? Full 3d card ? intel, nvidia,ati - older ati chips never did support opengl )
Windows 7 but it also didn't work with vista.
graphics hardware.... don't know =P but the PC is 5 years old so...

The situation is, 2 K stars very close each other, the planet orbits them at some distance, and the planet is tidaly locked to a M star.
On 1.5.1 I need to disable cloud shadows to don't become red. and during eclipses I need to disable ring shadows also, in some cases were I have multiple planets making eplipses on the same planet it gets red.

On 1.6.0 with the same 3 light sorces it apears a 4th one with seems to be a average of all 3... and I think that's why it gets red.

John Van Vliet

Post #777by John Van Vliet » 03.12.2010, 19:55

i would say that seeing as you have no idea what your 3d hardware is
that YOU FIND OUT - if it is an ATI built in chip or card from 5 years ago
There is NO support fot it
they are MS DirectX 8 only ( mostly)

windows 7 on a 5 year old computer???
that thing must be very slow ( aprox 10 min. just to boot)

Tavotrio

Post #778by Tavotrio » 04.12.2010, 13:32

«Inte(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T5450 1.66GHz
RAM 2,00GB 1,7GB usable
32-bit Operating System»
Is this?

PS: It's working better with 7 than with Vista! And it tooks 2 min to boot =P but it's painfull work with 8000x4000px textures on photoshop =P

selden
Developer

Post #779by selden » 04.12.2010, 14:49

Fortunately, John is exaggerating. Most graphics cards from that time work fine. One way to find out what graphics hardware you have is to run Celestia, select its Help menu, item "OpenGL Info". The first few lines of its output usually include the name of the graphics device.

You might want to consider adding memory to the computer. That'll make a big difference in most situations. Win7 runs faster if it has access to 2GB or more, since it can cache more information.

A red object means that the graphics driver's OpenGL software has returned an error message. Celestia logs this in its file named shaders.log
Please post the contents of that file. It might be on your desktop or in the main Celestia directory.

Also, you might try Celestia's other Render Modes. (Type a Ctrl-V several times.)
Selden

Tavotrio

Post #780by Tavotrio » 04.12.2010, 16:58

Ok thanks, I'm thinking in get a new PC after the christmas depending of the €€€, now will turn the choise for grafics since I want to start working with other render softwares like Vue and Zbrush, and as you said a better rendering for Celestia and I can use better resolution maps! Also I saw some amazing planet engines which able to land on the planets with surreal detail! I MUST actualize my graphic hardware!

I will re-instal 1.6.0 and try that Ctrl+V advice, it seems very promising!

Return to “Celestia Users”