introducing myself + a few feature requests

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
Topic author
ixfd64
With us: 14 years 11 months

introducing myself + a few feature requests

Post #1by ixfd64 » 02.11.2009, 04:51

Hey, my name is Danny and I've been using Celestia since 2005. I really like it; it's hard to imagine that only scientists had programs like these back in the day! :)

Anyways, I have a few suggestions:

Object name suggestions

Currently, if a user enters the name of a non-existent object, Celestia does nothing. It would be useful if Celestia suggested objects with similar names in this case.

Simulating star movement

In the Cosmos episode "Journeys in Space and Time" (episode 8), Carl Sagan discusses how constellations change over time because stars are constantly moving. However, Celestia doesn't seem to simulate star movement. It would be really slick if Celestia could do this.

Finer controls over displays

It would be nice if we could select which specific orbit/constellation/etc. are displayed. In the Cosmos episode I mentioned, Sagan shows how constellations also change as you move out many light-years. It is possible to simulate this in Celestia, but the other constellations get in the way,
Last edited by ixfd64 on 04.05.2012, 19:07, edited 2 times in total.

Imy
With us: 17 years 11 months

Re: introducing myself + a few feature requests

Post #2by Imy » 03.11.2009, 10:11

Welcome on the forum,
About simulating star movement, I think it could be useful for educational purposes to show how a star can move too ; this has remembered to me this thread of my own about constellation deformations (and so star movements) viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11709

I still think this could be an optional feature (whose access would be in the render menu) in the basic version of celestia...

Return to “Celestia Users”