Venus temperature range in Celestia 160

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
Topic author
Juan Marino
With us: 19 years 5 months

Venus temperature range in Celestia 160

Post #1by Juan Marino » 15.08.2009, 07:13

Why the temperature range of the planet venus is bettwen 229 kelvin - 230 kelvin and the earth range is 256 to 261?

Sorry for my bad english!!
Vita brevis, ars longa, Occasio praeceps, Experimentum periculosum, Iudicium difficile.

ajtribick
Developer
With us: 20 years 10 months

Re: Venus temperature range in Celestia 160

Post #2by ajtribick » 15.08.2009, 09:48

Temperature calculation is done by working out the balance of energy as follows:

The planet receives a certain amount of radiation from the star. Some of this is reflected into space (parameter that controls this is the albedo). The remainder is absorbed by the planet. The planet reradiates thermal radiation. Equating the energy absorbed to the energy reradiated, you then find the temperature. This value is the value displayed by Celestia. Reason the Venus temperature is lower is that the reflective cloud cover more than compensates for the larger amount of radiation received.

Celestia's calculation is dubious because it uses the same value for both the visual albedo and the Bond albedo. It also doesn't take into account the non-blackbody properties of a planetary atmosphere that leads to greenhouse heating, which is a fairly significant effect on some planets.

(Probably would be better to remove Celestia's temperature value for planets altogether)

psCargile
With us: 17 years 5 months

Post #3by psCargile » 31.08.2009, 04:33

Have a question about temperature and thought I'd search for similar threads instead of making a new topic.

I was wondering about the accuracy of the temperatures as I am building a fictional habitable world around a M9III giant with an AbsMag of 4.07. This is a world I'm using as a setting in a series of short stories that is cloud covered with perpetual rainfall. With an albedo of 0.85, a SMA of 20.58 AU gives me 258 K, and with an albedo of 0.45, 357 K. To keep my temperature around 257 K at an albedo of 0.45 I need a SMA of 39.7 AU. Since other processes are involved in determining the surface temperature can the Celestia temperature results be ignored in the scope of creating somewhat hard science fiction? I would prefer the 20 AU orbit with a 0.45 albedo, but the most realistic scene wins.

selden
Developer
With us: 21 years 9 months

Post #4by selden » 31.08.2009, 11:47

Celestia does not take into account atmospheric greenhouse effects. It seems likely that the temperature display will be removed in the next major release.

Exactly how the atmosphere, solar spectrum and planetary water affect planetary temperature is a topic of ongoing research that I know little about. I suspect you could find appropriate research papers as easily as I could.
Selden

psCargile
With us: 17 years 5 months

Post #5by psCargile » 01.09.2009, 04:25

Thanks Selden. That's all I needed to know.

Return to “Celestia Users”