Borg Cube Model(s)...

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
Topic author
Borg Collective
With us: 21 years 9 months

Borg Cube Model(s)...

Post #1by Borg Collective » 26.01.2003, 20:21

Individual designated as "Frank" asked us to post a model of Borg Cube. The same individual wants to implement it to Celestia. Could any of individuals make a proper Celestia file for it's "embeddedment"?

Model 1:
http://www.inet.ba/~bostuchl/Out/Borg%20Cube%20T-1.zip
Model 2:
http://www.inet.ba/~bostuchl/Out/Borg%20Cube%20T-2.zip
Last edited by Borg Collective on 05.02.2003, 17:41, edited 1 time in total.
What am I doing? Ah, nothing much. Just laying on my bed, watching the stars, and sky, and keep asking myself: 'Where the Hell is my Roof?'.

fsgregs
With us: 21 years 11 months

Borg Cube ssc file

Post #2by fsgregs » 04.02.2003, 02:20

Hi Collective. Sorry for the delay. I did get your mesh and it is great.

Here is a reasonable ssc file, which places the cube around Vega. Of course, feel free to change it to any other star you wish. I guessed at the radius of a cube at 10 km. If it is bigger than that, just change the radius.

"Borg Cube" "Vega"
{
Mesh "borgcube.3ds"
Texture "borg_diff.bmp"
NightTexture "borg_diff.jpg"

Radius 10

EllipticalOrbit {
Period 1.2408
SemiMajorAxis 4.3871
Eccentricity 0.2056
Inclination 0.0049
AscendingNode 48.33167
LongOfPericenter 77.456
MeanLongitude 252.251
}

RotationPeriod 1.0e12 #no rotation
Orientation [20 1 0 0]
Albedo 1.00
}

Thank you again for the mesh.

Frank

Topic author
Borg Collective

Post #3by Borg Collective » 04.02.2003, 17:55

Target Aquired: SCC file provided by individual designated as "Frank".

Proceed with Assimilation.
What am I doing? Ah, nothing much. Just laying on my bed, watching the stars, and sky, and keep asking myself: 'Where the Hell is my Roof?'.

Topic author
Borg Collective

Post #4by Borg Collective » 04.02.2003, 18:12

Assimilation Complete.

Engage Analysis SubRoutines...

Analysing...

--------------------------------------------

Analysis complete.

An error has been detected in your SCC file on position: line 7, word 2.
As you predicted, the diameter of the Borg Cube is 21-28 Km, depends of Cube's configuration. The Collective recommends using value of 21 instead of 10 (Km).

Michael

Post #5by Michael » 05.02.2003, 05:17

Attention Borg!
Attempted download of models 1 and 2- both links appear to be the same and neither download has jpg file nor mesh "borgcube.3ds" Is "heavycruiser" same?
Need assistance not assimilation!

John Van Vliet
With us: 22 years

Borg cube

Post #6by John Van Vliet » 05.02.2003, 07:57

the heavycruiser is the cube modle and the txtture is in .bmp not .jpg or .png formats so convert it to .png .put it in the medres file then put the .3ds in the extras file ,add the text (in the above message) to the .ssc file

2:07

Post #7by 2:07 » 05.02.2003, 10:31

I made all you wrote. But it does not work.
Please give a assimilation-instruction for stupid guys. :oops: 8O

2:07

Post #8by 2:07 » 05.02.2003, 14:23

Sorry, i found the problem.
But the Nighttexture does not work. :oops:

Topic author
Borg Collective

Post #9by Borg Collective » 05.02.2003, 17:53

An error occured in our first post here.

Cause: Type Mismatch - [Sounds familiar? :twisted: ]
Solution: already reached

Check the link again. It will work.

We are not familiar with any of the texture problems you have encountered, the texture and the model MUST be in the same directory. This is valid for both models.

Darkmiss
With us: 22 years

Post #10by Darkmiss » 06.02.2003, 02:10

Download page, tells me i don't have permision
CPU- Intel Pentium Core 2 Quad ,2.40GHz
RAM- 2Gb 1066MHz DDR2
Motherboard- Gigabyte P35 DQ6
Video Card- Nvidia GeForce 8800 GTS + 640Mb
Hard Drives- 2 SATA Raptor 10000rpm 150GB
OS- Windows Vista Home Premium 32

fsgregs
With us: 21 years 11 months

Borg Cube - really weird goings on

Post #11by fsgregs » 06.02.2003, 04:17

OK guys, I've got this figured out. First, I want to apologize for listing an ssc file with some confusing information.

When I checked tonight, the Borg Cube model meshes were still available at the websites listed in the first post of this thread. Clicking on them allowed me to download them. I don't know if the "Collective" needs to assimilate you first, but I had no trouble getting them. If you try and can't get through, e-mail me at fs.gregs@gte.net, and I'll send you the zip file.

There are two Borg Cube models, titled T1 and T2. T1 is a non-transparent model. It comes with a 3ds mesh file titled, "heavycruiser.3ds", and one texture titled "borg_diff.bmp". When used, it will produce a solid looking cube with lots of lights and a more solid looking outer hull. To use it, place the 3ds mesh into the "Models" folder in celestia, and the borg_diff.bmp texture in the Medres texture folder in Celestia. Then create an ssc file as listed below and place that in the extras folder. The 3ds mesh uses the bmp files. You do not have to create jpg files. When you run Celestia, you'll find the borg cube around the star Vega. Note that the mesh itself calls the texture. There is no need for a texture statement in the ssc file. Also, there is no night texture.

The 2nd borg cube model is T2. This is the same mesh as used in T1 but there is a different texture. The zip file comes with 2 textures. BOth are identical but have different names. The 1st texture is named "borg_diff.bmp" and the 2rd is "borg_diff_t.bmp". They are the same. However, they differ in appearance from the borg_diff.bmp texture that came with the T1 download. I guess the designers decided to change the look of the cube slightly. This texture has fewer lights and tries to convey the image of some openings in the cube to look through. Frankly, its a matter of personal choice.

If you install the T2 model, simply place the same "heavycruiser.3ds" mesh in the Models folder, and either the borg_diff.bmp, or the borg_diff_t.bmp texture in the Medres folder. Since they are the same, it doesn't matter. The mesh calls either one of them equally well.

Now to the REALLY weird part. This took me over 2 damned hours to figure out. Pay attention or it can trap you too (maybe this is a test to be assimilated into the Borg Collective). Although the 3ds mesh is the same in both model downloads (heavycruisr.3ds), a crazy thing happens when you paste the bmp files into the Medres folder. :?

If you paste the first bmp texture in (the one that came with T1), the mesh will use it and your model will look a bit solid.

If you paste the 2nd bmp texture instead (the one that came with T2), the mesh will use it and your model will look more open.

If you paste both of them into the Medres folder together, the mesh will use the first one pasted in, and ignore the 2nd one. It is as if the mesh is keeping track of the order in which a texture was pasted into the Medres folder, even through Celestia is not actually running at the time. I've never heard of such a thing.

Now, to the really nutty part. If you cut the first mesh from the Medres folder (the solid one), the mesh will ignore the 2nd texture, even though it is there. In other words, you'll get only a black cube in space with no texture called on it.
In order to get the mesh to recognize the 2nd mesh, you actually have to cut it out of the Medres folder so that no borg meshes are present, then immediately paste it back into the folder a second later, EVEN THOUGH CELESTIA IS NOT RUNNING. Once it is repasted, the mesh will recognize it again and you'll get a normal cube (with more open hull).

It is as if some sub-routine in the Borg download is keeping track of what you paste into the Medres folder, before Celestia calls anything, and only accepts the first texture you paste.
Maybe someone can explain this to me, but it's beyond me.

In any case, please accept my apologies for some errors in the ssc file I listed above. I had changed some texture names and forgot I had. the correct ssc file is:

"Borg Cube" "Vega"
{
Mesh "heavycruiser.3ds"
Radius 21

EllipticalOrbit {
Period 1.2408
SemiMajorAxis 4.3871
Eccentricity 0.2056
Inclination 7.0049
AscendingNode 48.33167
LongOfPericenter 77.456
MeanLongitude 252.251
}

RotationPeriod 1.0e12 #no rotation
Obliquity 0.01
}

Remember that to work, the 3ds must be in the models folder and one of the bmp textures must be in the Medres folder.

Enjoy

Frank G

Michael

Borg Cube

Post #12by Michael » 06.02.2003, 05:34

Thank you Frank, maybe the Borg assimilated some defective intellects!
This has been very instructive, I am going to try and relocate the Borg!

Topic author
Borg Collective

Borg Cube

Post #13by Borg Collective » 06.02.2003, 18:14

Michael wrote:I am going to try and relocate the Borg!

Dream about it.

We accessed the main download sequence again proving that both links work. We used Getright 4.5d (and yes, we are familiar with the fact that a new version is available for download).

Topic author
Borg Collective

Post #14by Borg Collective » 09.02.2003, 19:28

We found some more of the Borg Models... SPHERE.
But it's a bit TOO detailed. Some corrections should be made (poligon reduction).
Interested?

Steffens

Strange behaviour with textures

Post #15by Steffens » 11.02.2003, 10:00

Maybe the mesh is loading the textures by the short 8.3 character name?
Then it will load something.bmp like "someth~1.bmp" and it WILL matter, which texture you copy first, because the second will be called "someth~2.bmp"
Just my thoughts...

steffens

Fleegle
With us: 22 years 5 months

radius vs. diameter

Post #16by Fleegle » 12.02.2003, 14:40

Borg, you (plural) stated that the diameter of a Cube is between 21 and 28 km. Shouldn't then the radius be 10.5 - 14 km?

Fleegle

Topic author
Borg Collective

Post #17by Borg Collective » 12.02.2003, 16:36

Yes we did stated that but comparing the real size of the Cube with Earth you will probably notice that it looks too "small". Therefore, we increased the value up to 100. Looked satisifing.

Steffens wins the day!

Fleegle
With us: 22 years 5 months

lalala

Post #18by Fleegle » 12.02.2003, 18:51

Very good then. At the risk of being assimilated, is there a chance you might make a higher-res texture for the cube in the near future?

PS: why does Steffens win the day?

Regards,
Fleegle, Lord of Frogs

Topic author
Borg Collective

Post #19by Borg Collective » 13.02.2003, 17:07

Question: Why individual designated as "steffens" won the day?

Answer: Because it succeded in solving a Borg Texture P(roblem)uzzle.

7 of 9

Borg Cube ... Dark Cube

Post #20by 7 of 9 » 21.02.2003, 00:46

I "think" followed the instructions precisely ... my Cube shows up but it is very dark or the bmp is not showing at all... can anyone help ?

And what about a high res texture... any chance ?

Love

7 of 9

Return to “Celestia Users”