Decent helpfiles and FAQ planned for 1.6.0 or later?

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
Topic author
Guckytos
With us: 20 years 1 month

FAQ Draft 3

Post #41by Guckytos » 01.10.2008, 18:05

Okay folks,

the FAQ Draft has now reached version 3. Take a look at the new version, there have been some changes.

You can find the updated version here:
PDF

A few comments from my side:

• Chris has raised the question if the points 1.7 and 1.8 are still an issue. I can't answer that question since I don't use the screen capture feature often and never had the problem when I used it.
    Does anyone have any issues with this feature?
  • And I have added a new point 1.4 (remodelled 1.3 and put all the other stuff in 1.4)
    Should we keep that? Or totally drop it?

As a next step I will take a closer look at the "readme" or someone else can do that too.

Regards,

Guckytos

Topic author
Guckytos

Comments about the Readme from Celestia

Post #42by Guckytos » 03.10.2008, 17:29

So guys,

as promised, here are my comments on the official Celestia Readme:
  • INSTALLING IN UNIX
    Shouldn't this be LINUX?
  • MOUSE, KEYBOARD & JOYSTICK CONTROLS
    This point here can now be dropped with the new help/FAQ, don't you think?
  • KNOWN ISSUES
    I think most if not all items from this list can be dropped.
    • Many people have reported problems running Celestia with Matrox G400/G450 3D accelerator cards. As I don't have a Matrox card, I haven't made much progress on this bug. If you do have a G400, have Visual C++ installed, and would be interested in testing a debug version of Celestia, please contact me.
      Are those cards really still around?
    • On 3D accelerator cards with a limited amount of memory, resizing the main Celestia window can cause textures to disappear.
      To which cards does this apply? Is it really still an issue? Shouldn't it then be moved to the FAQs?
    • The maximum texture size supported by the Voodoo 1/2/3 is 256x256, so many of the planet textures will look blurry when running Celestia on one of these cards.
      How long ago was the one of these sold? Are those cards really still around?
    • Celestia only barely works in 256 color mode. If your display is set to 256 colors, change it to 16-bit or 32-bit if at all possible.
      Either a point for the FAQ, which I doubt, or it could be dropped. Even quite old hardware shouldbe able to run in more than 256 colors.
    • If objects look good at a distance but get too dark when you approach them closely, your OpenGL driver does not support a required extension. Try upgrading to the most current version of drivers available for your card. For some older cards, this still won't fix the problem. The next version of Celestia will feature a workaround.
      Which next verion? 1.6.0? If yes, then the point can definitely be dropped.
    • For up-to-the-minute answers to some common problems encountered when running Celestia, please view the "preliminary Celestia User's FAQ" located on the Celestia User's Forum:
      Can be dropped as the FAQ is now included.
  • USER MODIFIABLE ELEMENTS
    • ... for satellites, days and kilometers are used instead.
      This should be clearer on the fact that it means moons AND all other objects.
      Perhaps this is better:
      ...for satellites (natural or man made) that orbit something, days and kilometers are used instead.
    • Add this point
      It is also possible to define your own extras directories by editing the celestia.cfg file. How to do this is described within the file.
      after the paragraph with structure ...
      YOU create each of the directories under the extras directory. By using this ...
    • Texture files should be placed in textures/medres, as shown above. Currently, JPEG, PNG, BMP, and DDS are the only formats supported.

Add the following:
      Because Celestia per default loads the textures from the medres directories.

Runar, after the paragraph about models your readme differs from the one from SourceForge. And the SourceForge one is better there.
  • CELESTIA RESOURCES
    Missing are the following resources:
    • Celestia WikiBook
    • Celestia Motherlode

Celestia Developer Center http://celestia.teyssier.org/?
    In the last few weeks I only get a blank page here. Too bad, it was a nice site. What's the matter with Christophe Teyssier, is he taking a break? Or is the site gone for good (bad)? If that's the case, perhaps drop it or add a comment?
  • Other Contributors
    It sure is a big (unorderd) list, that must have grown over time. Are there only people listed whose work is in the official release?

Best regards,

Guckytos

selden
Developer
With us: 21 years 9 months

Re: Comments about the Readme from Celestia

Post #43by selden » 03.10.2008, 18:44

Guckytos wrote:So guys,

[list]
[*]INSTALLING IN UNIX
Shouldn't this be LINUX?
I'd suggest adding "and Linux".

People compiling from source code have been known to install Celestia on various versions of Unix, like Tru64, Solaris and Irix.
[*]MOUSE, KEYBOARD & JOYSTICK CONTROLS
I think that brief "cheat-sheet" is needed for the keyboard commands. My personal experience is that people do not want to have to read a long document to find that information.

I can't comment on the other items.
Selden

rthorvald
With us: 20 years 8 months

Re: Decent helpfiles and FAQ planned for 1.6.0 or later?

Post #44by rthorvald » 03.10.2008, 18:46

MOUSE, KEYBOARD & JOYSTICK CONTROLS

Which part do you mean? Basic Navigation?

Runar, after the paragraph about models your readme differs from the one from SourceForge. And the SourceForge one is better there.
You must clarify. What am i looking for?

- rthorvald

Topic author
Guckytos

Post #45by Guckytos » 03.10.2008, 19:05

rthorvald wrote:

Which part do you mean? Basic Navigation?

Yes, under Basic Navigation you get all the commands.

rthorvald wrote:
You must clarify. What am i looking for?

- rthorvald

Okay,

the readme that I mean on SourceForge is: Revision 4371 Modified Sun Jul 13 20:45:31 2008 UTC by cjlaurel

And the paragraph that I mean is:
273 Most of the stars in Celestia are defined in the binary file stars.dat.
274 The binary format is used instead of a text stc file because it's more
275 compact and faster to load; the size and speed advantages of a binary file
276 are significant with the over 100,000 stars in the Celestia. Stars.dat was
277 generated from the HIPPARCOS data set. Revisions and additions to the
278 HIPPARCOS data set appear in the stc files revised.stc, nearstars.stc,
279 visbins.stc (visual binary stars), and spectbins.stc (spectroscopic binary
280 stars.)

Whereas in the webpage that you created the paragraph is:
The stars.dat file is a binary database of stars, processed from the 50+ meg HIPPARCOS data set. The first four bytes are an integer (int) value containing the number of stars in the database. Following that are a bunch of records of this form:
4 byte int : catalog number
4 byte float : right ascension
4 byte float : declination
4 byte float : parallax
2 byte int : apparent magnitude
2 byte int : stellar class
1 byte : parallax error
RA, declination, and parallax are converted to x, y, z coordinates, and apparent magnitude is converted to absolute magnitude when the database is read.

I think the readme from SVN is better here in this paragraph.

rthorvald

Post #46by rthorvald » 03.10.2008, 19:35

Yes, under Basic Navigation you get all the commands

Aha. Well, personally, i think it is nice to have this "quickstart" item. It enables the newbie to go ahead and explore right away. It is a very friendly way of starting the documentation.

For my other point, i guess the svn copy has changed since last time i updated my Celestia. Will fix.

- rthorvald

chris
Site Admin
With us: 22 years 5 months

Post #47by chris » 03.10.2008, 23:03

• INSTALLING IN UNIX
    Shouldn't this be LINUX?

Celestia has been ported to UNIX variants other than Linux, so it might be appropriate to leave it as is.

• MOUSE, KEYBOARD & JOYSTICK CONTROLS

• I agree with Runar that we should leave a quick start guide here. However, that will add to the effort required from translators, so maybe it's best to just refer the reader to the new help guide.

• KNOWN ISSUES
    • Many people have reported problems running Celestia with Matrox G400/G450 3D accelerator cards. As I don't have a Matrox card, I haven't made much progress on this bug. If you do have a G400, have Visual C++ installed, and would be interested in testing a debug version of Celestia, please contact me.

• It's time to drop this. Or at least move it to some obscure corner of the FAQ that deals with legacy hardware. It certainly doesn't belong in the README anymore.

• On 3D accelerator cards with a limited amount of memory, resizing the main Celestia window can cause textures to disappear.
    To which cards does this apply? Is it really still an issue? Shouldn't it then be moved to the FAQs?
  • Yes, move it to the FAQ. Almost any graphics card should have enough memory to run Celestia full screen. Even very low end laptops have graphics chips with unified memory architecture, so they can use as much normal RAM as required for graphics.

• The maximum texture size supported by the Voodoo 1/2/3 is 256x256, so many of the planet textures will look blurry when running Celestia on one of these cards.

• Yikes. This needs to be eliminated from the README and moved to the same dusty corner of the FAQ as the note about Matrox cards.

• Celestia only barely works in 256 color mode. If your display is set to 256 colors, change it to 16-bit or 32-bit if at all possible.
    Either a point for the FAQ, which I doubt, or it could be dropped. Even quite old hardware shouldbe able to run in more than 256 colors.

• Anyone still running in 256-color mode is living in a world of pain. We shouldn't claim that Celestia 'barely' works in 256-color mode. It won't run at all. I think that we should have an updated 'Requirements' section: 1 GHz processor, graphics card with 32+ MB (any such card automatically fills the 16- or 32-bit color requirement)

• If objects look good at a distance but get too dark when you approach them closely, your OpenGL driver does not support a required extension. Try upgrading to the most current version of drivers available for your card. For some older cards, this still won't fix the problem. The next version of Celestia will feature a workaround.
  • This only applied to ancient S3 cards with broken drivers. Drop this item.

• For up-to-the-minute answers to some common problems encountered when running Celestia, please view the "preliminary Celestia User's FAQ" located on the Celestia User's Forum:
  • [*]USER MODIFIABLE ELEMENTS
    [list]
    [*]
    ... for satellites, days and kilometers are used instead.
    Perhaps this is better:
    ...for satellites (natural or man made) that orbit something, days and kilometers are used instead.

Should all this stuff about add-ons be moved to a separate add-on guide? I feel that the README should just address the basics: installing Celestia, getting it running, very basic keyboard/mouse controls. Add-on creation is certainly beyond the scope of the README, though add-on installation may not be.

--Chris

Topic author
    Guckytos

Post #48by Guckytos » 04.10.2008, 09:30

chris wrote:

[list]
    [*]INSTALLING IN UNIX
    Shouldn't this be LINUX?

Celestia has been ported to UNIX variants other than Linux, so it might be appropriate to leave it as is.
    Okay, we leave it then here, but why not use Seldens suggestion and add here "and LINUX".

chris wrote:
    [*]MOUSE, KEYBOARD & JOYSTICK CONTROLS

I agree with Runar that we should leave a quick start guide here. However, that will add to the effort required from translators, so maybe it's best to just refer the reader to the new help guide.
    The following is directly from the SVN:
    -----------------------------------
    See the included file: KbdMouseJoyControls.txt. In Windows, you can also use the Help menu to display the Controls list.
    Okay, we can leave it in, but we should perhaps change it a bit. Since the new Helpfile will be useable under all OS. Perhaps to:
    See the included file: KbdMouseJoyControls.txt OR use the Help menu to display the Controls list.

chris wrote:
    [*]KNOWN ISSUES
    [list][*]Many people have reported problems running Celestia with Matrox G400/G450 3D accelerator cards. As I don't have a Matrox card, I haven't made much progress on this bug. If you do have a G400, have Visual C++ installed, and would be interested in testing a debug version of Celestia, please contact me.

It's time to drop this. Or at least move it to some obscure corner of the FAQ that deals with legacy hardware. It certainly doesn't belong in the README anymore.
    Then I vote for dropping it.

chris wrote:
    [*]On 3D accelerator cards with a limited amount of memory, resizing the main Celestia window can cause textures to disappear.
    Yes, move it to the FAQ. Almost any graphics card should have enough memory to run Celestia full screen. Even very low end laptops have graphics chips with unified memory architecture, so they can use as much normal RAM as required for graphics.

[*]The maximum texture size supported by the Voodoo 1/2/3 is 256x256, so many of the planet textures will look blurry when running Celestia on one of these cards.

Yikes. This needs to be eliminated from the README and moved to the same dusty corner of the FAQ as the note about Matrox cards.

[*]Celestia only barely works in 256 color mode. If your display is set to 256 colors, change it to 16-bit or 32-bit if at all possible.

Why not just drop those points? I mean what sense would they make in the FAQ? They aren't frequently asked.

chris wrote:Anyone still running in 256-color mode is living in a world of pain. We shouldn't claim that Celestia 'barely' works in 256-color mode. It won't run at all. I think that we should have an updated 'Requirements' section: 1 GHz processor, graphics card with 32+ MB (any such card automatically fills the 16- or 32-bit color requirement)

I can sure state that Celestia is running quite ok on my old system:
    AMD 800 Mhz, 256 MB RAM, Radeon 8500LE 64 MB.
    Well I don't get all the eye-candy, and some addons are really hard on the fps, but it is running and showing the universe.

But updating the Requirements section sounds like a good idea.

chris wrote:

[*]If objects look good at a distance but get too dark when you approach them closely, your OpenGL driver does not support a required extension. Try upgrading to the most current version of drivers available for your card. For some older cards, this still won't fix the problem. The next version of Celestia will feature a workaround.
    This only applied to ancient S3 cards with broken drivers. Drop this item.

Okay, this should then definitely be dropped.

chris wrote:
    [*]For up-to-the-minute answers to some common problems encountered when running Celestia, please view the "preliminary Celestia User's FAQ" located on the Celestia User's Forum:
    [*]USER MODIFIABLE ELEMENTS
    [list]
    [*]
    ... for satellites, days and kilometers are used instead.
    Perhaps this is better:

Should all this stuff about add-ons be moved to a separate add-on guide? I feel that the README should just address the basics: installing Celestia, getting it running, very basic keyboard/mouse controls. Add-on creation is certainly beyond the scope of the README, though add-on installation may not be.

--Chris

Okay, we can easily move the section for Addons from the Readme to the Helpfile, I would think. The Helpfile is anyway different (with more information). So it wouldn't be a problem.

Regards,

Guckytos

Topic author
    Guckytos

New README

Post #49by Guckytos » 08.10.2008, 07:04

So,

i reworked the README according to Chris' suggestions and my own decissions.
    Please have a look at it and comment it (if necessary)

You can find it here.

I dropped all that old "Known Issues" stuff. And made other changes as well.

The part with the addons should be moved to the help pages, so I removed it.

I will be off for a few days, when I get back and no comments on the FAQ have been made, then let's finalize it.

Best regards,

Guckytos

Topic author
    Guckytos

Final Celestia 1.6.0 FAQ

Post #50by Guckytos » 14.10.2008, 18:06

Ok guys,

I have now taken all comments from you into account and this is the final version of the FAQ for Celestia 1.6.0, I think.

You can find the usual versions here:

So, if no one has any further comments, Runar, could you then include it in the HTML page?

Another question: Has anyone read through the revised README from my last post and has any comments? Otherwise we could update SourceForge with it.

Best regards,

Guckytos
    Last edited by Guckytos on 15.10.2008, 17:54, edited 1 time in total.

rthorvald

Re: Final Celestia 1.6.0 FAQ

Post #51by rthorvald » 14.10.2008, 21:41

Guckytos wrote:Runar, could you then include it in the HTML page?

Yes, but can you also give me an updated list of changes for the entire document? Not only the FAQ, but everything.

- rthorvald

BobHegwood
    With us: 16 years 8 months

Post #52by BobHegwood » 14.10.2008, 23:09

Guckytos wrote:Another question: Has anyone read through the revised README from my last post and has any comments? Otherwise we could update SourceForge with it.

Christian,

You already have all of my comments, so I'll shut up now...
    Just FYI though, your two links quoted here BOTH download the same ODT file.

Thanks, Bob
    Brain-Dead Geezer Bob is now using...
    Windows Vista Home Premium, 64-bit on a
    Gateway Pentium Dual-Core CPU E5200, 2.5GHz
    7 GB RAM, 500 GB hard disk, Nvidia GeForce 7100
    Nvidia nForce 630i, 1680x1050 screen, Latest SVN

Topic author
    Guckytos

Post #53by Guckytos » 15.10.2008, 17:58

BobHegwood wrote:
    Guckytos wrote:Another question: Has anyone read through the revised README from my last post and has any comments? Otherwise we could update SourceForge with it.

Christian,

You already have all of my comments, so I'll shut up now...
    Just FYI though, your two links quoted here BOTH download the same ODT file.

Thanks, Bob

Hi Bob,

no they don't, at least anymore :wink:
    Now that you pointed out that error it has been corrected.

rthorvald wrote:
    Guckytos wrote:Runar, could you then include it in the HTML page?

Yes, but can you also give me an updated list of changes for the entire document? Not only the FAQ, but everything.

- rthorvald

Okay Runar,

I will do that. It will be probably this weekend. I will have to add and change a few points.

Best regards,

Guckytos

t00fri
    Developer
    With us: 22 years 3 months

Post #54by t00fri » 15.10.2008, 19:06

Christian,

Bj?n J?sson involves non-ascii letters. That should be avoided in such a file, I would say...

Another question one might ask is whether that document should be signed by ChrisL or rather the Celestia Development Team which also owns the Copyright?

Fridger

rthorvald

Post #55by rthorvald » 15.10.2008, 19:32

t00fri wrote:Bj?n J?sson involves non-ascii letters. That should be avoided in such a file, I would say...
    All non-ascii letters and symbols will be properly encoded in the final document. (? = ö and ? = ó et cetera. This is not an issue.

- rthorvald

Topic author
    Guckytos

Post #56by Guckytos » 19.10.2008, 17:21

Okay Runar,

here are my (final) comments to your good html page. What should be changed/updated since the last readme and FAQ changes.
    • Getting started:
      1. Basic Navigation
      OK as it is now.

2. The Solar System and Star Browsers
      OK as it is now.

3. Selecting objects by name
      OK as it is now.

4. Known Issues
      Change to:

For up-to-the-minute answers to some common problems encountered when running Celestia, please view either the FAQ in the Help menu or take a look at the "Celestia User's FAQ" located on the Celestia User's Forum: viewforum.php?f=2

5. User-modifiable elements

Change to:

You can modify how Celestia starts up each time you run it, by defining your own start-up settings. Simply open the file "start.cel" in a plain text editor and follow the in-file instructions. Also, view the celestia.cfg file in a plain text editor to see additional settings.

Celestia allows you to easily add real, hypothetical, or fictional objects by creating new catalog files. It is *not* recommended that you alter the built-in data files; nearly all desired modifications and additions can be made by placing new catalog files in Celestia's extras folders. There are three types of catalog files:
      - ssc (solar system catalog: planets, moons, spacecraft, etc.)
      - stc (star catalog)
      - dsc (deep sky catalog: galaxies, star clusters, and nebulae)
      All three types of catalog file are text files that can be updated with your favorite text editing program.

• Celestia Controls:
      Well, I didn't check them, but seems okay as it is. Better have someone crosscheck it.

• Celestia Resources:
      Add:
      Celestia WikiBook:
      http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Celestia
      Celestia Motherlode:
      http://www.celestiamotherlode.net/

• To be added somewhere:

Basic Addon Management Tipps:

1. Units of measurement
      The units used for the solar system data may not be obvious.
      All angle fields in the catalog are in degrees.
      For planets, the period is specified in earth years, and the semi-major axis in AU; for satellites (natural or man made) that orbit something, days and kilometers are used instead.

2. Adding Addons
      When adding objects, they should be included in their own sub-directory under Celestia's "extras" directory. For example:
      celestia <dir>
      extras <dir>
      yourNewObject <dir>
      about.txt
      install.txt
      object.dsc
      object.ssc
      object.stc
      models <dir>
      object.3ds
      object.cmod
      object.cms
      textures <dir>
      medres <dir>
      objectTexture.??? (jpg, png, dds, or bmp)
      NOTE: All filenames should always be lower-case only.

It is also possible to define your own extras directories by editing the celestia.cfg file. How to do this is described within the file.

YOU create each of the directories under the extras directory. By using this structure, activating and de-activating your new objects will be easy. Simply move the sub-directory "yourNewObject" outside of the extras directory. Some users have found that adding category-name sub-directories under extras to be
      useful, such as:
      celestia
      extras
      Deep Sky Objects
      yourNewObject
      Galaxies
      yourNewObject
      Spacecraft
      yourNewObject

Texture files should be placed in textures/medres, as shown above. Because Celestia per default loads the textures from the medres directories. Currently, JPEG, PNG, BMP, and DDS are the only formats supported.

Models belong in the models directory. Celestia can read 3DS models, and two custom formats (.cms and .cmod). The .cms files are currently used for rough fractal displacement map likenesses of asteroids and small moons. 3DS meshes are normalized to fit within a unit cube -- the Radius field determines how big they appear within Celestia.

Most of the stars in Celestia are defined in the binary file stars.dat. The binary format is used instead of a text stc file because it's more compact and faster to load; the size and speed advantages of a binary file
      are significant with the over 100,000 stars in the Celestia. Stars.dat was generated from the HIPPARCOS data set. Revisions and additions to the HIPPARCOS data set appear in the stc files revised.stc, nearstars.stc, visbins.stc (visual binary stars), and spectbins.stc (spectroscopic binary stars.)

There are two very helpful resources with much more detailed information about creating add-ons for Celestia:
      Selden's "Introduction to Celestia Add-ons" web page:
      http://www.lns.cornell.edu/~seb/celesti ... intro.html
      The catalog file reference on the Celestia Wikibook:
      http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Celestia/C ... _Reference

I think that's about it. If you could include all those changes and update the FAQ with the latest version (see some posts above) then it should be finished.

Regards,

Guckytos

rthorvald

Post #57by rthorvald » 19.10.2008, 22:20

Guckytos wrote:I think that's about it. If you could include all those changes and update the FAQ with the latest version (see some posts above) then it should be finished.

Thanks!
    Give me a couple of days, and i?ll have a final doc ready for review.

- rthorvald

half0
    With us: 15 years 8 months

Post #58by half0 » 22.10.2008, 09:39

Just wanted to put my two cents in.

I would think it would be a good idea to have a flash program for the help. Reasons for this include but is not limited to:

1. Easily integrate animations for tricky subjects
    2. If done right it would be easier to navigate
    3. it would entice people to use the help instead of coming to the forums and asking the same question that we have answered 467 times before
    4. It can give this program a rich, new, and user-friendly tool that can advance it even further.

Just my opinion, If we decide to go this way then let me know. I am quite adept to flash

Nick

rthorvald

Post #59by rthorvald » 22.10.2008, 13:52

half0 wrote:I would think it would be a good idea to have a flash program for the help

While Flash can be a cool presentation format, it isn?t too suited for this purpose, as it is both proprietary and difficult to update / edit (as the editor wil need both custom software and knowhow). HTML on the other hand, is simple to use and learn, and will be editable in any text editor at hand. This is important since the Help may get updates often, and possibly by several different people - over time, certainly by different people.

- rthorvald

Topic author
    Guckytos

Post #60by Guckytos » 22.10.2008, 18:19

rthorvald wrote:
    half0 wrote:I would think it would be a good idea to have a flash program for the help

While Flash can be a cool presentation format, it isn?t too suited for this purpose, as it is both proprietary and difficult to update / edit (as the editor wil need both custom software and knowhow). HTML on the other hand, is simple to use and learn, and will be editable in any text editor at hand. This is important since the Help may get updates often, and possibly by several different people - over time, certainly by different people.

- rthorvald

I concur with Runar.
    And we will have to take into account that not everybody might have flash. Well, this is a remote chance in these days, but it is an external program that would have to be called.
    But the real argument against flash is that it is proprietary and the update issue as well. Don't forget that the Help will have to be ported to a lot of different languages. So it will have to be updated often.

And perhaps we can fully integrate the help in the new unified GUI for Celestia (Qt) that is going to be realised in the near future. I would very much prefer, if the help could be handled within Celestia and no external program would be needed. But that would have to evaluated by people that know Qt.

Regards,

Guckytos

P.S.: Just my 2 cents: I don't think flash is the answer to everything. I have it blocked as default and the net is since then much more enjoyable :twisted:

Return to “Celestia Users”