Possibly stupid question

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
Topic author
Bloodworth
With us: 15 years 11 months

Possibly stupid question

Post #1by Bloodworth » 13.10.2008, 01:24

Recently found celestia while looking for space flight sims. I downloaded program and 2 add-ons (which I can't even FIND in-game). There appear to be NO spacecraft with the original download (that I can find). My question is, when I can find these spacecraft, will I be able to actually FLY them, or will they merely be part of the scenery?

Johaen
With us: 18 years 8 months

Re: Possibly stupid question

Post #2by Johaen » 13.10.2008, 04:11

Celestia is not a game. I guess it could be considered a space flight sim, since you can "fly around" in space, but that's not really the point. The main purpose of Celestia is to simulate our universe, and to view that simulation. There are spacecraft add-ons, but they're just scenery. And there are actually a few spacecraft in the original DL (ISS, Galileo, etc.), but they're also just for scenery. I think there's one add-on, which makes it look like you're flying in a spacecraft, but I've never touched it. Like I said, that's not really the point.

Now hide before Fridger finds you. ;) 8O
AMD Athlon X2 4400+; 2GB OCZ Platinum RAM; 320GB SATA HDD; NVidia EVGA GeForce 7900GT KO, PCI-e, 512MB, ForceWare ver. 163.71; Razer Barracuda AC-1 7.1 Gaming Soundcard; Abit AN8 32X motherboard; 600 watt Kingwin Mach1 PSU; Windows XP Media Center SP2;

Hungry4info
With us: 19 years

Post #3by Hungry4info » 13.10.2008, 06:49

Bloodworth wrote:My question is, when I can find these spacecraft, will I be able to actually FLY them, or will they merely be part of the scenery?

Ah yeah that depends on what spacecraft. If it's one of the Apollo add-ons for example, try some time in the late 60's. No you won't be able to fly them.

If you're looking for something like that, try Orbiter, a spaceflight simulator.
Current Setup:
Windows 7 64 bit. Celestia 1.6.0.
AMD Athlon Processor, 1.6 Ghz, 3 Gb RAM
ATI Radeon HD 3200 Graphics

Fenerit M
With us: 17 years 6 months

Post #4by Fenerit » 13.10.2008, 13:52

Bloodworth wrote:Recently found celestia while looking for space flight sims. I downloaded program and 2 add-ons (which I can't even FIND in-game). There appear to be NO spacecraft with the original download (that I can find). My question is, when I can find these spacecraft, will I be able to actually FLY them, or will they merely be part of the scenery?

You could make Star Wars battles with Celestia. See all the scenarios much more fast... (gotolonglat, xyzv, point sprites etc...)
Never at rest.
Massimo

John Van Vliet
With us: 22 years

Post #5by John Van Vliet » 13.10.2008, 17:58

--- edit ---
Last edited by John Van Vliet on 25.10.2013, 03:36, edited 1 time in total.

PlasticMan
With us: 17 years 11 months

Post #6by PlasticMan » 14.10.2008, 17:43

Im a space sim junkie so maybee I can help. It is possible to fly around in celestia, but its probably not what your after. look in the controls file in the celestia main folder to see what keys do what. Using a joystick and a Nostromo N52, you can somewhat fly around, but theres no way to render an actual ship or a cockpit in front of you, and the joystick controls are alittle buggy.

Like someone else said, celestia is mostly for viewing and teaching. If only those with the programming knowledge here would realize celestias potential! A few modifications and it could be an amazing space sim! It would make learning a heck of alot more interesting If you could explore saturn and its moons from a cockpit!

Cham M
With us: 20 years 8 months

Post #7by Cham » 14.10.2008, 17:55

PlasticMan wrote:It would make learning a heck of alot more interesting If you could explore saturn and its moons from a cockpit!

Duh ! Celestia already have a real cockpit integrated : your computer's screen frame and desktop environment ! Why do people insist so much about having a static picture, which reduces the real estate view ? This is beyond me.
"Well! I've often seen a cat without a grin", thought Alice; "but a grin without a cat! It's the most curious thing I ever saw in all my life!"

t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 5 months

Post #8by t00fri » 14.10.2008, 18:18

Johaen wrote:
Now hide before Fridger finds you. ;) 8O

BINGO! ;-)

See Cham's comment above my post.

Fridger

BobHegwood
With us: 16 years 11 months

Post #9by BobHegwood » 14.10.2008, 23:05

PlasticMan wrote:A few modifications and it could be an amazing space sim! It would make learning a heck of alot more interesting If you could explore saturn and its moons from a cockpit!

If I may here, WHAT the Hell is your problem?

Celestia is already an amazing space simulator, and it has been since it was first introduced.
And people call me Brain-Dead. :roll: If you are into education, check out Frank Gregorio's educational
versions of Celestia. I'm sorry, but I simply do NOT understand how you can say such a thing here. The package
is - by far - the most accurate space simulation you will ever see, and it costs not a penny.

Again, how can you say this? Do you really want a cockpit blocking your view of the Universe?

Thanks, Brain-Dead
Brain-Dead Geezer Bob is now using...
Windows Vista Home Premium, 64-bit on a
Gateway Pentium Dual-Core CPU E5200, 2.5GHz
7 GB RAM, 500 GB hard disk, Nvidia GeForce 7100
Nvidia nForce 630i, 1680x1050 screen, Latest SVN

rthorvald
With us: 20 years 11 months

Post #10by rthorvald » 14.10.2008, 23:11

BobHegwood wrote:If I may here, WHAT the Hell is your problem?
It is Celestia?s inability to accurately reproduce this experience:

(From Lukr?s Add-On, of course.)

- rthorvald :-D

selden
Developer
With us: 22 years

Post #11by selden » 15.10.2008, 12:04

Another way of looking at it (ahem) is that Celestia's GUI does not meet some people's expectations. Rather than simple unenhanced character displays which occupy minimal visual space, it can be useful for information recognition for the various fields to have unique opaque structures around them. Simulating a more physical display and control interface can also be more friendly in some situations.
Selden

BobHegwood

Post #12by BobHegwood » 15.10.2008, 14:33

selden wrote:Another way of looking at it (ahem) is that Celestia's GUI does not meet some people's expectations. Rather than simple unenhanced character displays which occupy minimal visual space, it can be useful for information recognition for the various fields to have unique opaque structures around them. Simulating a more physical display and control interface can also be more friendly in some situations.

I'm sorry for my outburst, Selden, but my point still stands. Celestia is (by far) the most realistic
space exploration tool in the Universe. If someone wishes to introduce a cockpit for those who want the program's
tremendous views of the Universe to be blocked by some obtrusive spacecraft simulation junk, then they need either
to create one for themselves, or (as was suggested by someone else here to me privately,) they need to go get a
different program.

Sorry, but I still really just do NOT understand this insistence on adding unnecessary junk to my favorite program. :wink:

Thanks, Brain-Dead

EDIT:
Click HERE to locate a method to add your cockpit to Celestia.

rthorvald
With us: 20 years 11 months

Post #13by rthorvald » 15.10.2008, 14:51

BobHegwood wrote:Sorry, but I still really just do NOT understand this insistence on adding unnecessary junk to my favorite program.

Well, what is junk to you is not junk to everybody else. While i understand and support 100% the reasons for keeping the interface clean, some people like to use Celestia for other purposes than intended by the devs. I often do it, and a good percentage of the community here does, too. Ref all the scifi add-ons...

But there is room for that, the only silly thing here would be if the devs implemented a "Spaceship interior" viewpoint in the official package. But having the ability to add a custom view as an add-on for particular purposes would be nice. Selden?s intriguing Telescope project is a good example - think of swithcing from looking at that display to making the display the entire interface, then switch back... That would be very neat. I can see a lot of possibilities for that kind of functionality. For example, you can integrate the preferences dialogs and star browsers directly in the main interface that way. Or show the Atlantis takeoff from inside the shuttle in a whole new way, while reducing the polygon count of the model drastically (by reducing much of the flight deck model to 2D graphics).

- rthorvald

BobHegwood

Post #14by BobHegwood » 15.10.2008, 14:54

rthorvald wrote:Well, what is junk to you is not junk to everybody else.

Yes. Sorry Runar...
See the edit to my post above.

Thanks, Brain-Dead

EDIT:
And, by the way, I am only talking about the official releases of Celestia.

PlasticMan
With us: 17 years 11 months

Post #15by PlasticMan » 15.10.2008, 17:49

BobHegwood wrote:
PlasticMan wrote:A few modifications and it could be an amazing space sim! It would make learning a heck of alot more interesting If you could explore saturn and its moons from a cockpit!

If I may here, WHAT the Hell is your problem?

Celestia is already an amazing space simulator, and it has been since it was first introduced.
And people call me Brain-Dead. :roll: If you are into education, check out Frank Gregorio's educational
versions of Celestia. I'm sorry, but I simply do NOT understand how you can say such a thing here. The package
is - by far - the most accurate space simulation you will ever see, and it costs not a penny.

Again, how can you say this? Do you really want a cockpit blocking your view of the Universe?

Thanks, Brain-Dead
Dang!! Relax dude!! Im not knocking Celestia. Been a fan for quite a while now. When I said space sim i was talking about controls and such. Maybee I should of been more specific. Theres no doubt it is the most accurate space sim out there! All im trying to say is, for a program thats so accurate and detailed, Why limit it? What would be wrong with adding a thing or two? Sure you loose some of your view with a cockpit, but for me and oviously a few others out there, it can really add to the experience of space exploration from the livingroom!

Im full of ideas on things that could enhance the experience, but i think ill save them for now. I dont wanna get my head bit off again! :P j/k

t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 5 months

Post #16by t00fri » 15.10.2008, 17:54

I want a couple of laser guns too in my custom cockpiss ;-)

This would tremendously enrich Celestia! I could shoot some planets down... BOOOM what a pleasure.

Fridger
Last edited by t00fri on 15.10.2008, 17:59, edited 1 time in total.

Cham M
With us: 20 years 8 months

Post #17by Cham » 15.10.2008, 17:58

t00fri wrote:I want a cockpiss ;-)

Fridger

LOL ! :mrgreen:
"Well! I've often seen a cat without a grin", thought Alice; "but a grin without a cat! It's the most curious thing I ever saw in all my life!"

BobHegwood

Post #18by BobHegwood » 15.10.2008, 22:41

PlasticMan wrote:Dang!! Relax dude!! Im not knocking Celestia. Been a fan for quite a while now. When I said space sim i was talking about controls and such. Maybee I should of been more specific. Theres no doubt it is the most accurate space sim out there! All im trying to say is, for a program thats so accurate and detailed, Why limit it? What would be wrong with adding a thing or two? Sure you loose some of your view with a cockpit, but for me and oviously a few others out there, it can really add to the experience of space exploration from the livingroom!

Im full of ideas on things that could enhance the experience, but i think ill save them for now. I dont wanna get my head bit off again! :P j/k

My fault "dude."
I thought you were implying that Celestia is not as realistic as another program somewhere.
I am very sorry for my outburst, as I have already explained previously. Did you have a look at
the post I added later? I believe that you can add a cockpit from that resource.

Thanks and sorry, Brain-Dead :roll:

Fenerit M
With us: 17 years 6 months

Post #19by Fenerit » 16.10.2008, 20:30

t00fri wrote:I want a couple of laser guns too in my custom cockpiss ;-)

This would tremendously enrich Celestia! I could shoot some planets down... BOOOM what a pleasure.

Fridger

Yeah, as in the "Dark Star" movie! That guys moves to destroy instable planets, he, he...
Never at rest.
Massimo

bdm
With us: 19 years 2 months

Post #20by bdm » 23.10.2008, 00:49

t00fri wrote:I want a couple of laser guns too in my custom cockpiss ;-)

Fridger
Not laser guns. Not powerful enough. You need the Illudium Pu-36 Explosive Space Modulator. It's perfect for blowing up the Earth when it blocks your view of Venus.

Return to “Celestia Users”