Mitaka Version 1.0 was released

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
Danial
With us: 16 years 3 months

Re: Mitaka Version 1.0 was released

Post #141by Danial » 17.09.2008, 23:41

The latest update on those links is from Jul 20, 2006... Are they still working on it? A lot happens in the 3D visualisation and astronomical fields in 2 years.

EDIT: Ahh, sorry, I just saw that the Japanese version is up to 1.2 as of May 26, 2008... I wonder why they stopped making the English version?

ElChristou
Developer
With us: 19 years 4 months

Post #142by ElChristou » 19.09.2008, 17:56

ElChristou wrote:Mmhh... no comments... :?
Perhaps I'm saying a big stupidity because Celestia already have such rendering? (and it's just a problem with my config?)
Or perhaps the Mikata rendering is plain wrong?

I've been off line one week, so... bump! :?

chris
Site Admin
With us: 22 years 5 months

Post #143by chris » 19.09.2008, 18:08

ElChristou wrote:
ElChristou wrote:Mmhh... no comments... :?
Perhaps I'm saying a big stupidity because Celestia already have such rendering? (and it's just a problem with my config?)
Or perhaps the Mikata rendering is plain wrong?

I've been off line one week, so... bump! :?

Celestia, Mitaka, and nearly every other 3D program out there use the Phong model for specular lighting. This model is easy compute, looks correct to the eye, but is not a physically based model. So, neither program is really correct. Celestia uses a slightly modified Phong model; it's easy to adjust it to do (I think) exactly what Mitaka is doing. I don't know that it would be an improvement though--just different.

--Chris

ElChristou
Developer

Post #144by ElChristou » 19.09.2008, 18:51

chris wrote:Celestia, Mitaka, and nearly every other 3D program out there use the Phong model for specular lighting. This model is easy compute, looks correct to the eye, but is not a physically based model. So, neither program is really correct. Celestia uses a slightly modified Phong model; it's easy to adjust it to do (I think) exactly what Mitaka is doing. I don't know that it would be an improvement though--just different.

I have to find back this shot from ISS showing such spec effect. I'm pretty sure this rendering is correct. From your response Celestia don't have this effect (it's not a limitation of my hardware) and IMHO we should have a look at the possibility to include it...

chris
Site Admin

Post #145by chris » 19.09.2008, 19:06

ElChristou wrote:
chris wrote:Celestia, Mitaka, and nearly every other 3D program out there use the Phong model for specular lighting. This model is easy compute, looks correct to the eye, but is not a physically based model. So, neither program is really correct. Celestia uses a slightly modified Phong model; it's easy to adjust it to do (I think) exactly what Mitaka is doing. I don't know that it would be an improvement though--just different.

I have to find back this shot from ISS showing such spec effect. I'm pretty sure this rendering is correct. From your response Celestia don't have this effect (it's not a limitation of my hardware) and IMHO we should have a look at the possibility to include it...

I hadn't considered this at first, but it's possible that Mitaka may be incorporating the Fresnel effect. For surfaces like glass and water, an observer sees more reflected light when viewing the surface at a glancing angle than straight on. The Fresnel effect is why it's best to look straight down at a lake if you want to see underwater. We could implement the effect in Celestia's OpenGL 2.0 path. But first, I'll just try removing the multiplication of the specular term by the diffuse term.

--Chris

ElChristou
Developer

Post #146by ElChristou » 19.09.2008, 19:27

chris wrote:I hadn't considered this at first, but it's possible that Mitaka may be incorporating the Fresnel effect. For surfaces like glass and water, an observer sees more reflected light when viewing the surface at a glancing angle than straight on. The Fresnel effect is why it's best to look straight down at a lake if you want to see underwater. We could implement the effect in Celestia's OpenGL 2.0 path. But first, I'll just try removing the multiplication of the specular term by the diffuse term.

That's probably the point with Mitaka. If the effect is physically correct then I'll be happy to have it in Celestia! :)

Buzz

Post #147by Buzz » 20.09.2008, 19:19

There is a new version: I just downloaded the 1.2.0 beta from this page: http://www.orihalcon.jp/mitakaplus/index_e.html#download.

ElChristou
Developer

Post #148by ElChristou » 24.02.2009, 10:08

chris wrote:I hadn't considered this at first, but it's possible that Mitaka may be incorporating the Fresnel effect. For surfaces like glass and water, an observer sees more reflected light when viewing the surface at a glancing angle than straight on. The Fresnel effect is why it's best to look straight down at a lake if you want to see underwater. We could implement the effect in Celestia's OpenGL 2.0 path. But first, I'll just try removing the multiplication of the specular term by the diffuse term.

Just wanted to bump this to not forget it... :wink: :o

chris
Site Admin

Post #149by chris » 25.02.2009, 03:18

ElChristou wrote:

I filed a bug in the tracker about this a couple days ago. It will get addressed after 1.6.0:

https://sourceforge.net/tracker2/?func= ... tid=371302

--Chris

ElChristou
Developer

Post #150by ElChristou » 25.02.2009, 10:02

chris wrote:
ElChristou wrote:

I filed a bug in the tracker about this a couple days ago. It will get addressed after 1.6.0:

https://sourceforge.net/tracker2/?func= ... tid=371302

--Chris

Ah Tx! Sorry I didn't thought we could use the bug tracker to actually ask for a new feature... :?

Edit: I forgot there was a feature request tracker! :oops:

Return to “Celestia Users”