new user

General discussion about Celestia that doesn't fit into other forums.
Topic author
p4o2
With us: 16 years 5 months

new user

Post #1by p4o2 » 18.04.2008, 16:47

I do not want to ask such basic questions but I have looked in FAQ and am not doing well. I have been able to add a texture that had an installation guide but have not had luck with others. (one is where I am told to "add to bluemarble.dds, which i can not find).

I am trying to use: Realisticearth v4-8kdds, earth-unshaded.hs, eastcostp2-newyorklvl6up.

any help is appreciated.

Adirondack M
With us: 20 years 6 months

Re: new user

Post #2by Adirondack » 18.04.2008, 22:23

Welcome p4o2,

at first a hint: Your subject isn't clever since nobody knows what you really want...

Are you looking for the 32k Blue Marble Virtual Texture by NASA?
:arrow: Here it is! (92 MB)

Adirondack
We all live under the same sky, but we do not have the same horizon. (K. Adenauer)
The horizon of some people is a circle with the radius zero - and they call it their point of view. (A. Einstein)

Topic author
p4o2

Post #3by p4o2 » 19.04.2008, 01:51

I thought "new user" might tell you i do not know what I want. I had held a hope that someone would give me a link the way to include the DDS files in the Celestia program(s).

If there is no way, I will just keep trying on my own.

I did read that Celestia is baced on the NASA program so using it might be a step back?

t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 6 months

Post #4by t00fri » 19.04.2008, 08:43

p4o2 wrote:I thought "new user" might tell you i do not know what I want. I had held a hope that someone would give me a link the way to include the DDS files in the Celestia program(s).

If there is no way, I will just keep trying on my own.

I did read that Celestia is baced on the NASA program so using it might be a step back?

Why don't you simply study the rich existing documentation about these matters? The docs are NOT hidden, you know, and precisely made for NEW USERS...

You might have a first look here into the Celestia Wikibook:
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Celestia

Next you turn to texture stuff by reading Selden's crystal clear explanations, for example:

http://www.lns.cornell.edu/~seb/celesti ... s.html#2.5

or this one about Celestia resources:
http://www.lepp.cornell.edu/~seb/celestia/index.html

Every new user should first learn these basics with a glass of beer or fresh cow milk ... ;-)

And once you know all this, you might want to know more about normal maps and howto make great monster textures of highest quality quickly yourself? Then you might want to read my tutorial in our CelestialMatters site, the home of top-quality textures and spacecraft models:
http://www.celestialmatters.org/?page_id=39

And after doing this "homework", we will all be extremely happy to help you about the few leftovers! I can promise you that you DO know what you want at that stage ;-)

F.

Topic author
p4o2

Post #5by p4o2 » 19.04.2008, 14:46

Thank you very much F. I hope I never have to come back, because there are probably others like adorandock (?) that are more interested in making fun than helping.

Thanks again.

Goonster
With us: 16 years 9 months

Post #6by Goonster » 13.05.2008, 23:24

Everyone is happy to help out here. I have frequently needed advice ,even on fairly basic things and have always got it. Just try to make sure you give an accurate description of the problem as possible as you are most likely to get the answer that way.
Goonster :D
Dell Studio XPS16,Win7 Home Premium 64bit, i7 720 CPU, 4Gb RAM

John Van Vliet
With us: 22 years 1 month

Post #7by John Van Vliet » 14.05.2008, 01:46

edit 5:25 pm
Last edited by John Van Vliet on 26.05.2008, 21:25, edited 1 time in total.

Goonster
With us: 16 years 9 months

Post #8by Goonster » 14.05.2008, 06:27

Yes I did`nt notice the date Your probably right
Goonster
Dell Studio XPS16,Win7 Home Premium 64bit, i7 720 CPU, 4Gb RAM

Adirondack M
With us: 20 years 6 months

Post #9by Adirondack » 14.05.2008, 22:33

p4o2 wrote: ...I hope I never have to come back, because there are probably others like adorandock (?) that are more interested in making fun than helping.
:?: :?: :?: <frown> :?: :?: :?:
Well, I did help by offering a linkt to the VT that is needed for the add-ons you want to run.
So why are you offended? I tell you what: Farewell!

Adirondack
We all live under the same sky, but we do not have the same horizon. (K. Adenauer)

The horizon of some people is a circle with the radius zero - and they call it their point of view. (A. Einstein)

Return to “Celestia Users”