Celestia's 20th anniversary

Topic author
SevenSpheres
With us: 4 years 7 months

Celestia's 20th anniversary

Post #1by SevenSpheres » 26.02.2021, 17:35

The first version of Celestia was released 20 years ago today.
My Addons: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=19978 • Discord server admin
Celestia versions: 1.5.1, 1.6.1, 1.6.2, 1.7.0, and some unofficial versions like Celestia-ED

roninwolf1981
With us: 7 years 2 months

Post #2by roninwolf1981 » 26.02.2021, 17:45

(on-topic)
I find it lamentable that I had little to no way of knowing about this program that far back; I only learned about it as recently as 2014. I discovered Solar System Scope as far back as 2011, and since then I've been looking for a program/application that will let me explore other star systems besides our own Sol System, and one day in 2014 I took a chance with Celestia. Since then, I've entertained myself with downloading addon files and experimenting with creating new .ssc and .stc files. However, I do wish I had the opportunity to come across Celestial further back in the decade.

(off-topic)
I don't mean to change the subject, but I'm having problems with "quoting" or "directly replying" to a comment (or whatever protocol that allows the comment I'm directly responding to to be visible in my own post as either "replying to" or "quoting"). How do I "quote" or "reply to" since I'm not seeing those links/buttons on any comment?
With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied...chains us all irrevocably.

Topic author
SevenSpheres
With us: 4 years 7 months

Post #3by SevenSpheres » 26.02.2021, 17:54

roninwolf1981 wrote:I don't mean to change the subject, but I'm having problems with "quoting" or "directly replying" to a comment (or whatever protocol that allows the comment I'm directly responding to to be visible in my own post as either "replying to" or "quoting"). How do I "quote" or "reply to" since I'm not seeing those links/buttons on any comment?

You have to select the text you want to quote first. See here for an example.
My Addons: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=19978 • Discord server admin
Celestia versions: 1.5.1, 1.6.1, 1.6.2, 1.7.0, and some unofficial versions like Celestia-ED

john71
With us: 7 years 9 months

Post #4by john71 » 26.02.2021, 18:31

Congratulations!

Celestia is a unique and irreplaceable software which brought us many hours of happiness!

Thank you Chris Laurel, thank you Celestia Development Team past, present and future!

MrSpace43
With us: 6 years 5 months

Post #5by MrSpace43 » 26.02.2021, 18:37

Oh shoot I forgot it's the 20th anniversary lol.
Been into Astronomy since the age of 3 or 4. Started making planetary textures back in late 2016. 3D animator who makes high quality animations in Cinema 4D. Likes to sometimes, deliberately torment myself with the stupid green screaming apatosaurus that is Arlo.

My addons page: https://celestiaproject.space/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=22167

gironde M
With us: 7 years 5 months

Post #6by gironde » 26.02.2021, 19:31

happy birthday to its creators and to all those who participated in his adolescence :smile:

Georgi
With us: 3 years 9 months

Post #7by Georgi » 26.02.2021, 21:30

Happy Birthday! :clap:

I discovered Celestia back in 2013 when I was using Linux Mint 14 and I was searching for a space related software in their software manager. However, the development of the program was not very active back then and I quickly moved on. Fortunately, I saw that the development resumed and since 2018 I started to follow the project again and now I'm here using Celestia and loving it. :smile:

Gurren Lagann
With us: 6 years 3 months

Post #8by Gurren Lagann » 26.02.2021, 23:14

Happy birthday Celestia!

I did miss most of the community's history, so i dont really have much to day, but congratulations to all developers, past, present, and future, of the program that marked my childhood for many years. Hopefully Celestia lasts for many more years to come!

Past!
Present!
And Future!
Just who in the hell... do you think we are!
"The tomorrow we're trying to reach is not a tomorrow you had decided on!"
- Simon the Digger
"Nothing is impossible for me, as long I'm determinated to keep moving forward!"
"If other people aren't going to do it, I'm going to do it myself!"
- Me (Gurren)

Current major projects:
- Aur Cir
- Cel+
- Project Sisyphus
- Populating the Local Group
- An galaxy generator

roninwolf1981
With us: 7 years 2 months

Post #9by roninwolf1981 » 27.02.2021, 00:10

SevenSpheres wrote:You have to select the text you want to quote first. See here for an example.

Testing...

I see. I never would have figured it out on my own. Thank you for your help.
With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied...chains us all irrevocably.

Endeavor35
With us: 3 years 6 months

Happy 20th Anniversary Celestia!!!

Post #10by Endeavor35 » 27.02.2021, 00:24

Though I was too young to know of Celestia early on, I am so glad to have discovered in its entirety. Shortly after Arecibo collapsed, I was feeling a bit down as I personally knew how significant the telescope was to the scientific community. At the same time, I was also looking for a way to make both getting to know Blender more enjoyable, as well as do something which even in the loosest form, contributed to the space community. Then I remembered Celestia. Thus here I am now, a Celestia addon contributor, (Hopefully I’ll be able to make my own 3D models for Celestia!). Amazing the things that have happened in such a short span of time. So happy to have become part of the Celestia community, and I look forward to seeing a bright and diverse future for Celestia for years to come.

Anyways, I also want to share some music which I think is quite fitting for such an occasion:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssDqtfiomnU

May the future of Celestia shine bright with progress, and inspire future generations to forever reach for the stars!

Endeavor35

Return to “Announcements”