Sarcastic and snide remarks will no longer be tolerated

Reiko
With us: 17 years 7 months

Re: Sarcastic and snide remarks will no longer be tolerated

Post #61by Reiko » 20.04.2009, 10:42

t00fri wrote:
Reiko wrote:Can Andorians like me go some place to unload anger and frustration? Not that I have much but just in case? We are temperamental after all. Image

Hello Reiko,

I hope that it was not me who was causing anger and frustration to you!??

Cheers,
Fridger
No not you or anybody on here in particular. Mostly it's my inability to figure something out that gets me angry.

t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 1 month

Post #62by t00fri » 20.04.2009, 11:08

Reiko wrote:
t00fri wrote:
Reiko wrote:Can Andorians like me go some place to unload anger and frustration? Not that I have much but just in case? We are temperamental after all. Image

Hello Reiko,

I hope that it was not me who was causing anger and frustration to you!??

Cheers,
Fridger
No not you or anybody on here in particular. Mostly it's my inability to figure something out that gets me angry.

How about turning to the new HELP forum then?

Fridger

Spaceman Spiff
With us: 22 years 2 months

Post #63by Spaceman Spiff » 20.04.2009, 17:05

t00fri wrote:Hey Spiff, good to read you again! What drove you back to Celestia after such a long time?? :wink:
<sarcasm>I'm trying to be a reconciliation primadonna on this forum, but I find some people are just ruining it for me by getting into spats with each other!!!</sarcasm>*

No, seriously, I have a very old PC with an ancient AMD Athlon (768 socket, no more!), so I pop back from time to time to live off the eye candy that others occasionally post until I get a 'proper' PC. So, heh, I'm one of ElChristou's secret hidden lurkers!

Meantime, I've been a lot more successful at understanding the Linux OS than the Celestia C++ code, sigh.

Otherwise for now, I <missionStatement>endeavour to persuade no one to quit or be banned from the forum, while simultaneously managing not to take sides.</missionStatement>

t00fri wrote:EXCEPTIONALLY, I did not realize that this was pure sarcasm of my French copain ...
I didn't think ElChristou was being sarcastic here, though later he wrote he was (?). I thought he was just following the (false) idea that mikej didn't know a thing about computers and software - just an innocent mistake.

t00fri wrote:Selden,

I wonder why you moved the topic, ...
Surely you should be blaming me, not Selden! There's a lot of talk about using ISIS to reproject images to get maps (then textures) on Unmanned Spaceflight (http://www.unmannedspaceflight.com). It's good if anyone browsing 'Celestia Textures' picks up on that.

Reiko wrote:Rieko, can Andorians like me go some place to unload anger and frustration? Not that I have much but just in case? We are temperamental after all. Image
May I suggest Andorra? It's mountainous and cool, and quick! it's still a European tax haven like Luxembourg and Liechtenstein, but that may end soon. :giggle:

Spiff.

* I consider sarcastic sarcasm fair game for forums, since it's clear it's a joke, it's not an insult, and sarcasm's the victim. Um...

ElChristou
Developer
With us: 19 years 3 months

Post #64by ElChristou » 20.04.2009, 18:49

Spaceman Spiff wrote:I didn't think ElChristou was being sarcastic here, though later he wrote he was (?). I thought he was just following the (false) idea that mikej didn't know a thing about computers and software - just an innocent mistake.

Grr... if you guys don't stop I will never be able to disappear... :roll:

Just for the info, here is the quoted part upon which I react:
mikej wrote:You said to "replace its executable" as there was a problem. What does this mean? Please be specific.
There are MANY of us out here who really enjoy Celestia but who are not "computer friendly" :? Please, either release a new version or teach us how to use what you are all talking about 8O

So with my poor English, when someone ask the meaning of something, in this case "replace its executable", he must have a problem of understanding with one of the words. As I was doubting "replace" and "its" were the problem, I though "executable" was the problem. Now as I'm on osX and I do know what is an executable (wording form the PC word); so if I (who is not a computer guru) know what is an executable, how the hell a PC user cannot know what it is when he do click all day long on them?

Now, that wasn't the real motivation of my sarcastic post.

The guy say: "Please be specific", "Please, either release"... "or teach us". What I do note here is the way he ask things. "be", "release", "teach". That's for me is an imperative tone and despite the "Please" which are in the context for the form, the real tone is at the level of the order.

That's what makes me react, based also on Guillermo response who clearly did not accept such tone.

The imperative tone from someone who don't even know what is an executable makes me think the user MikeJ as no place here and should be kindly through away for being impolite.

Now of course seems I was all wrong and my sarcasm was UNFOUNDED and so deserve to be banned...

Vincent
Developer
With us: 19 years 4 months

Post #65by Vincent » 20.04.2009, 19:13

ElChristou wrote:Grr... if you guys don't stop I will never be able to disappear... :roll:
Great ! So let's go on... :twisted:
@+
Vincent

Celestia Qt4 SVN / Celestia 1.6.1 + Lua Edu Tools v1.2
GeForce 8600 GT 1024MB / AMD Athlon 64 Dual Core / 4Go DDR2 / XP SP3

Don. Edwards
With us: 21 years 8 months

Post #66by Don. Edwards » 21.04.2009, 09:31

Selden,

I will not post any kind of retraction or edit my posts. If you are so inclined you may do it yourself. The only comment that was overtly controversial was my statement that to me Celestia seemed to be headed into being a NASA Whirlwind clone. This was not directed per say at Fridger. I was my own personal observation on how Celestia seems to be headed for the rendering of massive 128K textures rather than moving it code forward and adding features that have long been outstanding. If my comment can be seen as any kind of an attack it was on a piece of software and not a person. I think you are getting a bit carried away here. As I said it was my opinion and an observation. If you don't like it than I am sorry.
By the way I am using the most recent build of Celestia, not that it matters anyway.

Fridger,

I don't personally dislike you, I just don't seem to get your way of communicating very well. I have tried for years to understand your rather unique way of communicating with others and myself. I don't know if its a generation gap, I difference in the way our minds work, you being a left hemisphere guy and me a right hemisphere guy, or if we flat out are from totally different worlds.
My statement about Celestia and its seeming direction are taken from my view, that I have often stated that I simply have never seen the need for Celestia to support any texture above 32K. I will never make a custom 128K texture. Its not that I couldn't, its all about how one would even try loading it into a graphics app for editing. I have tried to load tiles for editing and it never worked. I will not go into specifics but it is the main reason I have never made a texture beyond 32K.
I wish you and Chris luck on what ever direction you take Celestia. I wish Celestia could have moved far beyond where it stands today. Maybe in 5 five years I will have another look but for me its the end.

Selden,

You don't have to worry about banning me from the site. I am banning myself. To take load off the shatter.net server I have removed all my websites and downloads. I am leaving the vast collection of images there so that they remain for the forum. But if Chris chooses to he can do as he pleases with the account. I will not be using it any longer. I will not be making any further posts about anything in the forum or the status of my projects.

If anyone wishes to contact me about any of my textures in the future they can get my email address through my account information or at:

impulseman37@msn.com

For everyone else out there, its been great but the time has come to go. Thanks for your support and all I can say is keep an eye out there on the web, I will be out there with my textures given time.

Don. Edwards
I am officially a retired member.
I might answer a PM or a post if its relevant to something.

Ah, never say never!!
Past texture releases, Hmm let me think about it

Thanks for your understanding.

asteroid
With us: 15 years 5 months

Post #67by asteroid » 22.04.2009, 16:40

Is 'google it yourself' Sarcastic and snide? If so, I want to hop on the irony button. :D :wink:

bh
With us: 21 years 5 months

Post #68by bh » 22.04.2009, 17:02

I've had enough of this thread. I suggest closing it and those who wish to leave, do so quietly.
regards...bh.

Topic author
selden
Developer
With us: 21 years 8 months

Post #69by selden » 22.04.2009, 17:33

I agree with bh.

I think all sides have been heard from and further discussion won't be productive.

I'm locking this thread.
Selden

Return to “Announcements”