New forum structure implemented

Topic author
Guckytos
With us: 20 years 3 months

New forum structure implemented

Post #1by Guckytos » 25.11.2009, 17:46

As you all can see some things have happend :D

The forum structure was changed as already announced a few weeks ago.
I hope you can see that we have taken your comments into account as we reorganzied it. Also I hope that most of you will be okay with the look (I know that you can't make it right for everyone, so we didn't try :wink: )
And I am always talking about "we", yes, that'S the other change that you can see. There are now three moderators here on the board; Chris, Selden and myself. (My own fault 8) I kept pushing chris and selden for improvements and now ...)

The third thing that will happen over the next few days/weeks will be that the new categories will be filled with life. For that to happen we (most probably I) will move a lot of post around to reorganize further.
That means that some posts will pop up in places that you have not seen them before, while others will not be where you expected them.
Hope you don't get too confused, but in the end things should be better accessible.

Best regards,

Guckytos

Boux
With us: 20 years

Re: New forum structure implemented

Post #2by Boux » 25.11.2009, 18:01

Much better, more logical.
Good job :)
... and congrats for your promotion :wink:
Intel core i7 3770 Ivy Bridge @ 4.4 GHz -16 GB ram - 128 GB SSD cache - AMD Radeon 7970 3 GB o'clocked - Windows 7 64 Ultimate / Linux Kubuntu

Fenerit M
With us: 17 years 5 months

Post #3by Fenerit » 25.11.2009, 18:26

Hey, Guckytos, just my 2 cents about the new forum structure. Globally is OK, but does the "add-on releases/announcments" lack of "e"? :D
The incipit said: "The home for the announcments of addons in creation and finished/released work. " Then perhaps would be best to remove "in creation" which is more adequate for the next forum, and to leave just "The home for finished/released work." In this manner that forum will host just links to definitively "finished" works, while the add-on testing and the discussions on the add-on progress are pertinence of the next; otherwise seems that there isn't difference amongst the two. :roll:
Never at rest.
Massimo

Cham M
With us: 20 years 7 months

Post #4by Cham » 25.11.2009, 18:46

Fenerit wrote:Hey, Guckytos, just my 2 cents about the new forum structure. Globally is OK, but does the "add-on releases/announcments" lack of "e"? :D
The incipit said: "The home for the announcments of addons in creation and finished/released work. " Then perhaps would be best to remove "in creation" which is more adequate for the next forum, and to leave just "The home for finished/released work." In this manner that forum will host just links to definitively "finished" works, while the add-on testing and the discussions on the add-on progress are pertinence of the next; otherwise seems that there isn't difference amongst the two. :roll:

I agree with Fenerit. It would make much more sense.
"Well! I've often seen a cat without a grin", thought Alice; "but a grin without a cat! It's the most curious thing I ever saw in all my life!"

t00fri
Developer
With us: 22 years 5 months

Post #5by t00fri » 25.11.2009, 18:46

Christian,

good that things now start moving.

To my surprise , the new layout has COMPLETELY changed during the last hour or so ?? ;-) . Fortunately, the latest version is much closer to my suggestions and altogether more logically consistent... So I am reasonably happy, yet the whole layout seems far too long to me.

I must say that the renaming of Purgatory into "Petit Bistro Entropy" emanates plenty of "enforced originality".

Resting on the assumed good knowledge of French of our US American user majority, the name of that "Petit Bistro" is associated with a tricky physics concept (Entropy) that only a small minority in this round would be able to really understand...

Fridger
Last edited by t00fri on 26.11.2009, 09:55, edited 1 time in total.

Cham M

Post #6by Cham » 25.11.2009, 18:56

I think that the board can be simplified a bit : The Tutorials thread appears to be useless to me, since it's already implicit in the other threads (Add-on development, Scripting, etc).

Also, IMHO, the Help Central thread should be located in the "Celestia General" section. So this way, you could make the whole board a bit smaller.
"Well! I've often seen a cat without a grin", thought Alice; "but a grin without a cat! It's the most curious thing I ever saw in all my life!"

Fenerit M

Post #7by Fenerit » 25.11.2009, 19:02

Cham wrote:I think that the board can be simplified a bit : The Tutorials thread appears to be useless to me, since it's already implicit in the other threads (Add-on development, Scripting, etc).

Also, IMHO, the Help Central thread should be located in the "Celestia General" section. So this way, you could make the whole board a bit smaller.

Also this is true.
Never at rest.
Massimo

Fenerit M

Post #8by Fenerit » 25.11.2009, 19:39

t00fri wrote:

I must say that the renaming of Purgatory into "Petit Bistro Entropy" emanates plenty of "enforced originality".

Resting on the assumed good knowledge of French of our US American user majority, the name of that "Petit Bistro" is associated with a tricky physics concept (Entropy) that only a small minority in this round would be able to really understand...

Fridger

Probably Guckytos had in mind the undiminuishing growthness of "disordered" entries... :D
Never at rest.
Massimo

BobHegwood
With us: 16 years 10 months

Post #9by BobHegwood » 25.11.2009, 20:57

Well, I am confused as usual, but that's to be expected with the new layout. :wink:

I do like the re-organization though, and my condolences to the new moderator. Hee, hee...

Thanks, Brain-Dead
Brain-Dead Geezer Bob is now using...
Windows Vista Home Premium, 64-bit on a
Gateway Pentium Dual-Core CPU E5200, 2.5GHz
7 GB RAM, 500 GB hard disk, Nvidia GeForce 7100
Nvidia nForce 630i, 1680x1050 screen, Latest SVN

bh
With us: 21 years 8 months

Post #10by bh » 26.11.2009, 09:17

Yes... I was a bit thrown... I'll get used to it I suppose.
regards...bh.

Topic author
Guckytos
With us: 20 years 3 months

Post #11by Guckytos » 26.11.2009, 17:06

Fenerit wrote:
t00fri wrote:

Fridger

Probably Guckytos had in mind the undiminuishing growthness of "disordered" entries... :D

Fenerit hits the nail on the head why it is named like it is.

@Bob: Thanks :lol:

t00fri
Developer

Post #12by t00fri » 26.11.2009, 17:15

As I stated already earlier, I find the new forum layout unnecessarily bloated (and thus far too long) and also graphically suboptimal:

My suggestions are somewhat in line with Cham and Fenerit:

Here is my proposal:

-------------------------
Celestia General
-------------------------
Announcements
Rules and FAQ
Help & Tutorials
------------------------------
Celestia Development
------------------------------

In my opinion it is entirely redundant to add a line

"General Announcements concerning the Forum and Celestia"
under Announcements! Announcements is TOTALLY selfexplaining ;-)

same for the line under Rules and FAQ!

Furthermore, the coding for those new separating headers looks quite "amateur-like".
They apparently have a too short fixed length! On some wider displays they look like so

Independent of this coding issue, my personal preference for these separators would be much simpler than this present distracting 3d appearance. Have a look at CelestialMatters to see what style we prefer for them.

Fridger

t00fri
Developer

Post #13by t00fri » 26.11.2009, 17:16

Guckytos wrote:
Fenerit wrote:
t00fri wrote:

Fridger

Fenerit hits the nail on the head why it is named like it is.

@Bob: Thanks :lol:

BUT...few would associate Entropy with "ever growing disorder stuff" except they have learned some solid physics somewhere! In my view subforum titles should be intuitively understandable by everyone independent of educational background...

Fridger
Last edited by t00fri on 26.11.2009, 18:42, edited 1 time in total.

Cham M

Post #14by Cham » 26.11.2009, 18:15

I agree with Fridger on the "Entropy" word. I suggest a simpler name : just "Petit Bistro", which says everything. Or something else : "Random discussions"... or "Miscalleneous"...

t00fri
Developer

Post #15by t00fri » 26.11.2009, 18:34

While "Miscellaneous" sounds a bit dry even for my "spirits", how about

Chatters Net ? :roll:

Fridger

PS: to avoid challenging people's French (Petit Bistro) , how about an international "workaround" ;-)

Caf? Relax

Reiko
With us: 17 years 11 months

Post #16by Reiko » 26.11.2009, 23:12

I thought something look different. It looks good. :D

BobHegwood

Post #17by BobHegwood » 27.11.2009, 16:26

t00fri wrote:PS: to avoid challenging people's French (Petit Bistro) , how about an international "workaround" ;-)

Caf? Relax

THIS suggestion I like more than the current title... Give 'em Hell Doc. :lol:

Thanks, Brain-Dead

t00fri
Developer

Post #18by t00fri » 27.11.2009, 16:28

BobHegwood wrote:
t00fri wrote:PS: to avoid challenging people's French (Petit Bistro) , how about an international "workaround" ;-)

Caf? Relax

THIS suggestion I like more than the current title... Give 'em Hell Doc. :lol:

Thanks, Brain-Dead

Yeah! ... my personal favorite is actually

Chatters Net @shatters.net :lol:

Fridger

BobHegwood

Post #19by BobHegwood » 27.11.2009, 16:31

t00fri wrote:Yeah! ... my personal favorite is actually

Chatters Net @shatters.net :lol:

Fridger

I agree...
Kinda rolls off of the tongue doesn't it? :D

Thanks again, Brain-Dead

Fenerit M

Post #20by Fenerit » 02.12.2009, 14:06

Ahem... Sorry, but would possible to have the forum's Celestia icon back? Too much anonymous in this way. Yesterday I believed to have made a mistake about the link...
Never at rest.
Massimo

Return to “Announcements”