symbol lookup error

Have a question about using Celestia? Check here first for FAQs and helpful advice.
Forum rules
Please help to make this forum more useful by checking the FAQs before posting! Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, share your knowledge.
Topic author
LucMorizur
With us: 1 year 4 months

symbol lookup error

Post #1by LucMorizur » 14.04.2023, 08:41

Hi;

many thanks for Celestia software, and very sorry that war in Ukraine troubles the forum.

I just tried to install Celestia on Ubuntu 22.04. First, tried to compile it, never managed to make it find stars.dat database file (message "Cannot read star database" at startup splash screen).

Thus, properly cleaned everything on HDD, and installed Celestia with apt (after having properly registered the key with gpg). It doesn't launch; if started from a console:

Code: Select all

luc@LGS1:~ $ celestia-qt
celestia-qt: symbol lookup error: celestia-qt: undefined symbol: _ZNK8celestia4util6Logger4vlogENS0_5LevelEN3fmt2v617basic_string_viewIcEENS4_11format_argsE

I couldn't find any reliable answer to this issue, only found quite weird information.

Many thanks if someone can help :smile: !

onetwothree
Site Admin
With us: 5 years 11 months

Post #2by onetwothree » 14.04.2023, 11:20

To use a version compiled on your own you need to clone 2 repositories:

For both run

cmake
make
sudo make install

By default everything will be installed into /usr/local. You can override this location by passing

-DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/your/desided/path
to cmake.

Added after 2 minutes 46 seconds:
Regarding the built version, I assume you have taken it from munix repository. I suppose the root cause that you have left file libcelestia.so.1.7.0 in /usr/local/. Find and remove it.

Topic author
LucMorizur
With us: 1 year 4 months

Post #3by LucMorizur » 13.08.2024, 09:23

Sorry for such a late answer. Many thanks @onetwothree for your very kind reply. Unfortunately in the meanwhile I had to change my laptop; on the new one I installed Celestia via snap. I might try to re-install it though — and thus, I think, compile it — as I now face a new issue.

Return to “Help Central”