Building from a git checkout

Have a question about using Celestia? Check here first for FAQs and helpful advice.
Forum rules
Please help to make this forum more useful by checking the FAQs before posting! Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, share your knowledge.
Topic author
jpellegrini
With us: 1 year 6 months

Building from a git checkout

Post #1by jpellegrini » 05.11.2022, 16:14

Hello,

I was trying to build Celestia from a git checkout, following the instructions in INSTALL.md.

What I did was this:

Code: Select all

git clone https://github.com/CelestiaProject/Celestia.git
cd Celestia
git submodule update -init
mkdir build
cd build
cmake ..  -DENABLE_DATA=ON
make
sudo make install

But this ends the cmake configuration step with the warning:

Code: Select all

CMake Warning:
  Manually-specified variables were not used by the project:

ENABLE_DATA

and after installing, if I try to run celestia, it doesn't start, complaining that it cannot read the star database.
I understand that it needs a file data/stars.dat (either in /usr/local/share or in my homedir somehow), but it doesn't seem to be anywhere.

Did I do something wrong when trying to install? Or is there something missing in the installation instructions?

Thanks a lot!

TheLostProbe
With us: 4 years

Post #2by TheLostProbe » 06.11.2022, 01:03

jpellegrini wrote:I understand that it needs a file data/stars.dat (either in /usr/local/share or in my homedir somehow), but it doesn't seem to be anywhere.
the data files for celestia can be obtained from the CelestiaContent repository
"Carbon stars with ancient satellites colonized by sentient fungi. Gas giants inhabited by vast meteorological intelligences. Worlds stretched thin across the membranes where the dimensions intersect... impossible to describe with our limited vocabulary."
- Dr. Wallace Breen

Topic author
jpellegrini
With us: 1 year 6 months

Post #3by jpellegrini » 06.11.2022, 01:32

the data files for celestia can be obtained from the CelestiaContent repository

Ah, that makes sense. Thank you!

ajtribick
Developer
With us: 20 years 9 months

Post #4by ajtribick » 06.11.2022, 20:56

There are scripts (UpdateContent.ps1 and updatecontent.sh - pick whichever is more convenient on your OS) in the support subfolder that will download the latest version of the CelestiaContent repository into the content subdirectory.

Return to “Help Central”