How do I create multiple celestia installations?

Have a question about using Celestia? Check here first for FAQs and helpful advice.
Forum rules
Please help to make this forum more useful by checking the FAQs before posting! Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, share your knowledge.
Topic author
CosmicGate7
With us: 2 years 5 months

How do I create multiple celestia installations?

Post #1by CosmicGate7 » 05.01.2022, 15:47

Hi :hi:

I have a problem: Celestia installers after version 1.6.1 don't seem to come with the option to specify an alternate directory. I've installed Celestia Origin (with 1.6.2.2) in D/Celestia, but I can't create another celestia 1.6.2.2 installation in, for example D/Celestia2, because it will default to the one already installed.

The reason I want another installation is because I want a separate place to create/test/mess with addons, rather than "polluting' celestia origin with my bad creations (I can't model stuff and I am bad at texturing :biggrin: ).
I have been using celestia since 2018. just messing with stuff for fun.

DaveBowman2001
With us: 5 years 10 months

Post #2by DaveBowman2001 » 05.01.2022, 16:13

In my case, before I install any add-ons, I literally copy the entire main Celestia folder when freshly installed to anywhere else, so that the other copy is reserved for mods while the remainder keeps the pristine addon-less copy just in case I needed a fast reboot
"Open the pod-bay doors HAL"
"I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't do that"

Spacecrafts Addon Developer since 2018
Celestia Versions: 1.7.1 (Mobile), 1.6.4 and 1.7.0 (Windows)

Anthony_B_Russo10
With us: 5 years 10 months

Post #3by Anthony_B_Russo10 » 05.01.2022, 22:20

Hi :hi:

I have a problem: Celestia installers after version 1.6.1 don't seem to come with the option to specify an alternate directory. I've installed Celestia Origin (with 1.6.2.2) in D/Celestia, but I can't create another celestia 1.6.2.2 installation in, for example D/Celestia2, because it will default to the one already installed.

The reason I want another installation is because I want a separate place to create/test/mess with addons, rather than "polluting' celestia origin with my bad creations (I can't model stuff and I am bad at texturing :biggrin: ).
Celestia Version 1.6.2 has this problem where its installer defaults to the last known install location for Celestia, older Celestia installers allowed you to choose your install location even if you had another install already present.
Anthony B. Russo, I like Pluto. Mod of the Celestia subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Celestiasoftware/
I have over 40 computers, trying to list them here would be a pain.
Responsible for the NEO catalog: https://celestia.space/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=22203
And mod of the Discord server.

Topic author
CosmicGate7

Post #4by CosmicGate7 » 06.01.2022, 10:45

DaveBowman2001 wrote:In my case, before I install any add-ons, I literally copy the entire main Celestia folder when freshly installed to anywhere else, so that the other copy is reserved for mods while the remainder keeps the pristine addon-less copy just in case I needed a fast reboot

I will keep this in mind when the next Celestia Origin comes out.

Anthony_B_Russo10 wrote:Celestia Version 1.6.2 has this problem where its installer defaults to the last known install location for Celestia, older Celestia installers allowed you to choose your install location even if you had another install already present.

Thanks for the information. I hope the developers will fix this when 1.7.0 is released :smile:

onetwothree
Site Admin
With us: 5 years 8 months

Post #5by onetwothree » 06.01.2022, 16:03

CosmicGate7 wrote:I hope the developers will fix this when 1.7.0 is released

If there are any volunteers to do this. This doesn't require any programming skill but we still don't see anybody to do this/

cartrite
With us: 18 years 8 months
Location: Pocono Mountains, Pennsylvania, USA Greate Grandfother from Irshava, Zakarpattia Oblast Ukraine

Post #6by cartrite » 06.01.2022, 19:12

What do you mean? The installer I just uploaded this morning should allow it to be installed anywhere. Named anything. At least I can and apparently Selden too. The default folder is Program Files but one could install it anywhere.

Added after 5 hours 24 minutes:
onetwothree wrote:
CosmicGate7 wrote:I hope the developers will fix this when 1.7.0 is released

If there are any volunteers to do this. This doesn't require any programming skill but we still don't see anybody to do this/

What the hell do you think I've been doing for the last 10 years or so. 99% of the people I knew back then are not here anymore. And in the last few weeks I've managed to build your code and create an installer. Yesterday morning for Christ's sake I uploaded one. I guess you don't see me doing this any more. You were the one who said monthly. That statement above was an insult. So be it. Someone else can build your installer now. Good luck. :ill:
VivoBook_ASUSLaptop X712JA_S712JA Intel(R) UHD Graphics 8gb ram. Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-1035G1 CPU @ 1.00GHz, 1190 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s) 8 GB ram. Running on Windows 11 and OpenSuse 15.4

Topic author
CosmicGate7

Post #7by CosmicGate7 » 07.01.2022, 10:42

cartrite wrote:What the hell do you think I've been doing for the last 10 years or so. 99% of the people I knew back then are not here anymore. And in the last few weeks I've managed to build your code and create an installer. Yesterday morning for Christ's sake I uploaded one. I guess you don't see me doing this any more. You were the one who said monthly. That statement above was an insult. So be it. Someone else can build your installer now. Good luck. :ill:

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend anyone. I didn't look into the installer because I thought it was still a development version. :oops:

cartrite
Location: Pocono Mountains, Pennsylvania, USA Greate Grandfother from Irshava, Zakarpattia Oblast Ukraine

Post #8by cartrite » 07.01.2022, 12:06

That post was not aimed at you. It was because of this statement
I just uploaded an installer that morning he wrote that. It is an insult.

The development team has been looking for someone to maintain windows code and this is a position I can not fill because I am not really a developer. But have been building this program since 2004 and have been with this community soon after. I have been providing installers from time to time throughout that period. The installer that I uploaded is a development version. I can't build a release version installer until there is a release. So that statement I quoted above makes no sense.
VivoBook_ASUSLaptop X712JA_S712JA Intel(R) UHD Graphics 8gb ram. Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-1035G1 CPU @ 1.00GHz, 1190 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s) 8 GB ram. Running on Windows 11 and OpenSuse 15.4

john71
With us: 7 years 9 months

Post #9by john71 » 07.01.2022, 12:19

cartrite wrote:I just uploaded an installer that morning he wrote that. It is an insult.

Why can't you be a developer by the way? In fact you ARE a developer right now. I can see no problems here. This is a community project not a business venture. There are no deadlines and there is no financial pressure to do it. Just do it somehow, for the community.

cartrite

Post #10by cartrite » 07.01.2022, 12:35

I do know c++ basics but I lack the lack the skills of coding standards. I can sometimes debug existing code but anything I would do from scratch would be ugly. I never had formal training in C++. My experience over the years has been with building, testing and debugging the build systems.
Last edited by cartrite on 07.01.2022, 12:41, edited 2 times in total.

john71
With us: 7 years 9 months

Post #11by john71 » 07.01.2022, 12:39

cartrite wrote:I do know c++ basics but I lack the lack the skills of coding standards. I can sometimes debug existing code but anything I would do from scratch would be ugly. I never had formal training in C++.

So? In regione caecorum rex est luscus.

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king lol.

Topic author
CosmicGate7

Post #12by CosmicGate7 » 07.01.2022, 13:24

cartrite wrote:That post was not aimed at you. It was because of this statement

I get it.

onetwothree
Site Admin
With us: 5 years 8 months

Post #13by onetwothree » 07.01.2022, 19:17

cartrite wrote:What the hell do you think I've been doing for the last 10 years or so. 99% of the people I knew back then are not here anymore. And in the last few weeks I've managed to build your code and create an installer. Yesterday morning for Christ's sake I uploaded one. I guess you don't see me doing this any more. You were the one who said monthly. That statement above was an insult. So be it. Someone else can build your installer now. Good luck.

Cartrite, I appreciate your work, but please refer to the context of this topic. It was about 1.6.2 overwriting 1.6.1 installation. This is known problem with our celestia.iss file. It was not about your work with 1.7.

SevenSpheres
With us: 4 years 7 months

Post #14by SevenSpheres » 07.01.2022, 19:46

onetwothree wrote:Cartrite, I appreciate your work, but please refer to the context of this topic. It was about 1.6.2 overwriting 1.6.1 installation. This is known problem with our celestia.iss file. It was not about your work with 1.7.

It was about 1.7. The post you replied to said "I hope the developers will fix this when 1.7.0 is released"
My Addons: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=19978 • Discord server admin
Celestia versions: 1.5.1, 1.6.1, 1.6.2, 1.7.0, and some unofficial versions like Celestia-ED

cartrite

Post #15by cartrite » 07.01.2022, 19:53

onetwothree wrote:
cartrite wrote:What the hell do you think I've been doing for the last 10 years or so. 99% of the people I knew back then are not here anymore. And in the last few weeks I've managed to build your code and create an installer. Yesterday morning for Christ's sake I uploaded one. I guess you don't see me doing this any more. You were the one who said monthly. That statement above was an insult. So be it. Someone else can build your installer now. Good luck.

Cartrite, I appreciate your work, but please refer to the context of this topic. It was about 1.6.2 overwriting 1.6.1 installation. This is known problem with our celestia.iss file. It was not about your work with 1.7.
I may be able to fix that. I can see 2 ways I can try. Downloading and installing 1.6.2 and redoing the celestia.iss file or downloading the sourcex, building it and then create a new file from what was built. When I run inno, I make sure all the files are present in the celestia root folder and the just add the folder to the wizard. The later may be tricky because I probably don't the dependencies installed on my system for 1.6.2.

Added after 5 hours 1 minute:
I was able to install this in 2 locations. D:\test\Celestia and D:\1.6.2.2.

Here is the installer that did this.

Hope this is what you wanted.

onetwothree, I'm sorry I misunderstood your comment. I'm sorry I missed the point of this thread. I guess I didn't read it through.

Anyhow, I downloaded the installer and installed it. At first, I was able to install it where I wanted. That option was taken away the second time I tried. I seen this behavior before but I can't remember when. Then I downloaded the source code. I used the celestia.iss file to copy and past the tasks section and every thing below the registry section into the celestia.iss that the inno wizard created on my system.
I notice the original script was created with inno version 5.1.5. I am using version 6.2.0. That may be the reason it worked on my system.

My bad. It worked once. I was able to install 1.6.2.2 in 2 different locations but then I realized I used 2 different installers. The original and then the one I created. I tried it again after I uploaded it and it didn't give me the option to install it where I wanted, So back to the drawing boards. Maybe on Sunday. I'm off from work for a few days starting Sunday.

This may be a bug with the Inno wizard.

Added after 55 minutes 58 seconds:
This is the way that the inno program seems to work. Once I install the 1.7 version it won't give the option to change location the second time. So it will overwrite the first. Come to think of it, this the way it always worked. I always uninstalled the version. A work around I can think of is install Celestia 1.6.2.2 to a location, then copy it to a new location. Use that as your test folder

Added after 59 minutes 40 seconds:
A better way would be to just rename your original to a new name. By default, the first time you install the program, the root folder is called Celestia. Rename it. Then the next time you install it won't overwrite the renamed one. But it will be in the same folder. Example. C:\Program Files\Celestia to Celestia-newname. The next time you install it you'll have 2 Files. C:\Program Files\Celestia and C:\Program Files\Celestia-newname, If you uninstall it the only one that will be uninstalled is the one named Celestia. If you have Celestia 1.6.1 installed and then you want to install 1.6.2.2, you have to rename the Celestia folder in Program Files to Celestia-1.6.1 for example. Then you install 1.6.2.2. Now it won't overwrite it. A new Celestia folder will be in Program Files called Celestia.So there is nothing wrong with 1.6.2.2 installer. It is the way it works. Inno will only install the folder it is named on the first time you use and into the directory you installed it in. Once installed, it doesn't give you the option to change the location until the original is uninstalled. Then you have the option to rename the folder and the directory it is installed in. But then your stuck with that. You could just copy the original to a new directory.

Topic author
CosmicGate7

Post #16by CosmicGate7 » 08.01.2022, 08:27

cartrite wrote:A better way would be to just rename your original to a new name. By default, the first time you install the program, the root folder is called Celestia. Rename it. Then the next time you install it won't overwrite the renamed one. But it will be in the same folder. Example. C:\Program Files\Celestia to Celestia-newname. The next time you install it you'll have 2 Files. C:\Program Files\Celestia and C:\Program Files\Celestia-newname, If you uninstall it the only one that will be uninstalled is the one named Celestia. If you have Celestia 1.6.1 installed and then you want to install 1.6.2.2, you have to rename the Celestia folder in Program Files to Celestia-1.6.1 for example. Then you install 1.6.2.2. Now it won't overwrite it. A new Celestia folder will be in Program Files called Celestia.So there is nothing wrong with 1.6.2.2 installer. It is the way it works. Inno will only install the folder it is named on the first time you use and into the directory you installed it in. Once installed, it doesn't give you the option to change the location until the original is uninstalled. Then you have the option to rename the folder and the directory it is installed in. But then your stuck with that. You could just copy the original to a new directory.

Thanks! :clap:

Return to “Help Central”