Forum Search Limitations

Have a question about using Celestia? Check here first for FAQs and helpful advice.
Forum rules
Please help to make this forum more useful by checking the FAQs before posting! Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, share your knowledge.
Topic author
TJackson
With us: 2 years 5 months

Forum Search Limitations

Post #1by TJackson » 02.01.2022, 00:36

Is there no way to search exact phrases of words under advanced searching? Or limit searches to titles or message texts? I'm finding the inability a severe limitation. Without those, I invariably find far too many hits to sift through. Maybe... talk to the Google people??

SevenSpheres
With us: 4 years 7 months

Post #2by SevenSpheres » 02.01.2022, 00:38

TJackson wrote:Or limit searches to titles or message texts?

This can be done on the advanced search page.
My Addons: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=19978 • Discord server admin
Celestia versions: 1.5.1, 1.6.1, 1.6.2, 1.7.0, and some unofficial versions like Celestia-ED

Topic author
TJackson

Post #3by TJackson » 02.01.2022, 01:07

Yes, I see an option for search Titles and Text only. Thanks. But I still see no way to differentiate searching "all terms" and "query as entered". That just brings back all terms and is inclusive of the phrase entered, as far as I can tell. I've tried double quotes. Still can't.

Topic author
TJackson

Searching exact query and ONLY exact query

Post #4by TJackson » 03.01.2022, 20:58

Is there any way to search for an exact query? "all terms" and "query as entered" in advanced search appear to be inseparable. That just brings back all terms in the query and is inclusive of the phrase entered (which might be somewhere in a potentially large pile), as far as I can tell. I've tried double quotes. Still can't. A search for "draw lines" comes up with 127 entries, a few of which include "draw lines", all of which include "draw" and "lines". Shall I plow through them all?

Topic author
TJackson

Post #5by TJackson » 04.01.2022, 12:48

SevenSpheres, you appear to know your way around Celestia and these forums pretty well. Is your non-response as to the need for a "query as entered" and ONLY "query as entered" capability (non-incluse of "all query terms") an indication that you simply don't know if that is possible? Or asked a different way, have you ever been confronted with the dilemma in my previous post just above? Thx

SevenSpheres
With us: 4 years 7 months

Post #6by SevenSpheres » 04.01.2022, 18:12

TJackson wrote:Is there any way to search for an exact query? "all terms" and "query as entered" in advanced search appear to be inseparable. That just brings back all terms in the query and is inclusive of the phrase entered (which might be somewhere in a potentially large pile), as far as I can tell. I've tried double quotes. Still can't. A search for "draw lines" comes up with 127 entries, a few of which include "draw lines", all of which include "draw" and "lines". Shall I plow through them all?
TJackson wrote:SevenSpheres, you appear to know your way around Celestia and these forums pretty well. Is your non-response as to the need for a "query as entered" and ONLY "query as entered" capability (non-incluse of "all query terms") an indication that you simply don't know if that is possible? Or asked a different way, have you ever been confronted with the dilemma in my previous post just above? Thx

I don't think it's possible. Most likely the only way to make it possible would be an upgrade to the forum software; onetwothree is the person to talk to about that.
My Addons: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=19978 • Discord server admin
Celestia versions: 1.5.1, 1.6.1, 1.6.2, 1.7.0, and some unofficial versions like Celestia-ED

ajtribick
Developer
With us: 20 years 9 months

Post #7by ajtribick » 05.01.2022, 17:41

Based on experiences with several boards' search implementations, I generally find the most reliable option to be to use an external search engine, starting the query with "site:<URL>", e.g.

site:celestia.space "exact phrases of words"

Quick test, this seems to be somewhat more reliable on Google than DuckDuckGo.

Topic author
TJackson

Post #8by TJackson » 05.01.2022, 19:25

Tried this in the address field in Chrome:

http://www.google.com:celestia.space "draw lines"

Google just treated the whole thing as a search string. I contacted onetwothree about the issue. I'll see how that goes.

Search.png

Added after 1 minute 28 seconds:
onetwothree responded with, "i have no idea. i don't know how phpbb works i only keep the server running."

ajtribick
Developer
With us: 20 years 9 months

Post #9by ajtribick » 06.01.2022, 17:51

TJackson wrote:Tried this in the address field in Chrome:

http://www.google.com:celestia.space "draw lines"
Don't know why you'd try that, I said "site:celestia.space", which is used in the query the link points to.

Here's what your query should be:

https://www.google.com/search?q=site:celestia.space "draw lines"

This also works in the address bar in my browser, if I type

site:celestia.space "draw lines"

(in the above, "site" means the literal word "site", not "http://www.google.com")

Return to “Help Central”