How to save markers and sort stars by distance from something other than earth

Have a question about using Celestia? Check here first for FAQs and helpful advice.
Forum rules
Please help to make this forum more useful by checking the FAQs before posting! Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, share your knowledge.
Topic author
luigi3.mario
With us: 2 years 4 months

How to save markers and sort stars by distance from something other than earth

Post #1by luigi3.mario » 23.12.2021, 07:33

Okay I'm a beginner user and I would like to be able to save all my markers so they persist between sessions and so I can have multiple sets of markers for different occasions. Also, can I sort the stars by distance from other objects in the browser? For example, if I wanted to sort the stars by proximity to Wolf 359 or something?

Please let me know if this is the wrong place for this post.

SevenSpheres
With us: 4 years 7 months

Post #2by SevenSpheres » 23.12.2021, 17:16

luigi3.mario wrote:Okay I'm a beginner user and I would like to be able to save all my markers so they persist between sessions and so I can have multiple sets of markers for different occasions.

There's no way to save markers between sessions, but you can write a script to mark objects and run it upon starting Celestia. It might also be possible to write a script that saves current markers in another script?

luigi3.mario wrote:Also, can I sort the stars by distance from other objects in the browser? For example, if I wanted to sort the stars by proximity to Wolf 359 or something?

Assuming based on your other post that you're using the Qt frontend, you can go to View -> Celestial Browser, select the "Stars" tab, go to Wolf 359 and click "Refresh". This will show the closest stars to Wolf 359. To show the closest stars to any other location, you can similarly go there and click "Refresh" in the browser.
My Addons: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=19978 • Discord server admin
Celestia versions: 1.5.1, 1.6.1, 1.6.2, 1.7.0, and some unofficial versions like Celestia-ED

Return to “Help Central”