What the heck happened to celestiamotherlode.net?

Have a question about using Celestia? Check here first for FAQs and helpful advice.
Forum rules
Please help to make this forum more useful by checking the FAQs before posting! Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, share your knowledge.
Topic author
rl90599
With us: 4 years

What the heck happened to celestiamotherlode.net?

Post #1by rl90599 » 28.08.2020, 06:27

When I go there, it redirects me to a website dedicated into "digital archiving" and North Carolina stuff. I really don't know what happened to it recently, but let's hope it comes up again. I kinda think that the website was hacked by someone, or the domain was expired so its website hoster decided to archive or delete it forever; no more addons, everything gone. If you manage to go to the pages of celestiamotherlode.net, it will redirect you to missing page error. If someone says that it was very old and its domain expired, then I'm saddened that the website is not here anymore, in which I can't download addons, scripts, utilites, Lua edu tools, or even Celestia-ED! In ibiblio.org, the website the redirected me to it, has it's own page about it: here. Farewell for now, Celestia Motherlode :(.

Sorry if this isn't in the right category, I just need to know why it redirects me to this and why it was shut down.
"m" - rl90599

Anthony_B_Russo10
With us: 5 years 10 months

Post #2by Anthony_B_Russo10 » 28.08.2020, 09:46

Anthony B. Russo, I like Pluto. Mod of the Celestia subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Celestiasoftware/
I have over 40 computers, trying to list them here would be a pain.
Responsible for the NEO catalog: https://celestia.space/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=22203
And mod of the Discord server.

ArchitPasayat2008

Post #3by ArchitPasayat2008 » 28.08.2020, 14:48

RIP motherlode

Topic author
rl90599

Post #4by rl90599 » 28.08.2020, 17:02

Update on why it was down:
Hello - and welcome. Thanks for your interest in and support of one of our collections. Software powering that collection was unmaintained, and the sites associated with the collection were disabled yesterday as part of recovering from an outage affecting many of our collections. The future of the collection depends on the collection maintainers, and we hope to see that collection flourish again soon.
Let's hope it goes back on again.
"m" - rl90599

jujuapapa
Banned

Post #5by jujuapapa » 29.08.2020, 05:26

Like I said: R.I.P. :eek:
Soft: Celestia 1.6.2
PC : Intel Core i9-9900K (4 GHz) , Chipset Z390 Exp, RAM 32 Go DDR4 3000 Mhz, SSD M.2 512 Go + HDD 3 To, MSI GeForce RTX 2080 8Go - W10 64b

I lost my old user, so with us: since more 12 years
=> It is by doubting everything that everybody approaches the truth !

Topic author
rl90599

Post #6by rl90599 » 29.08.2020, 10:26

Like I said: R.I.P. :eek:
R.I.P. for now, they claimed they will enable it again, but probably after a week or few. I don't know if the person who made the website is still active.
"m" - rl90599

Anthony_B_Russo10

Post #7by Anthony_B_Russo10 » 29.08.2020, 10:55

The person who runs it is barely active here.
Anthony B. Russo, I like Pluto. Mod of the Celestia subreddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/Celestiasoftware/
I have over 40 computers, trying to list them here would be a pain.
Responsible for the NEO catalog: https://celestia.space/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=22203
And mod of the Discord server.

Topic author
rl90599

Post #8by rl90599 » 29.08.2020, 20:56

Update: celestiamotherlode.net's server isn't responding, so we gotta wait until those ibiblio.org guys put it back on.
"m" - rl90599

Adirondack M
With us: 20 years 2 months

Post #9by Adirondack » 07.09.2020, 11:20

Please be patient!
After the outage a breakage has accured.
Ibiblio is working on it...

Adirondack
We all live under the same sky, but we do not have the same horizon. (K. Adenauer)
The horizon of some people is a circle with the radius zero - and they call it their point of view. (A. Einstein)

Adirondack M

Post #10by Adirondack » 16.10.2020, 14:06

FYI: The Motherlode is not yet lost (and all add-ons are still there).

After the failure we can access it again in the background. But we still have to do some maintenance work and clean up after the breakdown. Then we have to check if the website still works as it should.

Unfortunately this will not be possible until November at the earliest. So you have to be patient for a few more weeks.
I ask for your understanding for the delay, we are all just volunteers.

Adirondack
We all live under the same sky, but we do not have the same horizon. (K. Adenauer)

The horizon of some people is a circle with the radius zero - and they call it their point of view. (A. Einstein)

Adirondack M

Post #11by Adirondack » 24.12.2020, 12:19

The Celestia Motherlode is back up!

Please note: For security reasons direct file uploads are no longer available. The catalog should work fine but the one or the other surrounding link may directs to a 404 (the document you requested could not be found) for now. In this case you do not have to notify us; we will fix link errors soon.

Merry Christmas.

A big Thank you very much to

- Harald for rewriting and compiling files of the site
- Sarah & the whole team at ibiblio.org

Ulrich

DrewFaye
With us: 2 years 8 months

Post #12by DrewFaye » 12.09.2021, 02:10

Doesn't work. The Celestia Motherlode is online, but I can't download anything.

I read the topics on this forum about misusing Celestia by sci-fi fans, and I've become more and more convinced that the best way to save information from Internet is to download and store it on local HDD. And back up it from time to time. There's a lot of speaking about cloud storaging, but I've always said this is unreliable. Someone (hosts, owner, government, etc.) decides to close the shop and... voile! You've got only the things you had a chance to download and save.

Is there any torrent where we can find all add-ons? I would support seeding it with pleasure. There is some add-on packs on Russian trackers, but they're incomplete. I don't make a game or anything similar, but I use fictional planets and systems (as well as REAL astronomical data), trying to construct fictional worlds and making pictures. I'm a writer, and this helps me to fell the space, to catch the inspiration... The Celestia is the best program I've ever met for my purposes. Easy to use, free to change. It is very sad that a lot of add-ons is unavailable.

SevenSpheres
With us: 4 years 7 months

Post #13by SevenSpheres » 12.09.2021, 14:15

DrewFaye wrote:Doesn't work. The Celestia Motherlode is online, but I can't download anything.

I just tried downloading a file from the Motherlode and it worked fine for me.

DrewFaye wrote:I read the topics on this forum about misusing Celestia by sci-fi fans,

Those are old threads. You're welcome to create any fictional addons for Celestia (whether original or fan work) as long as you don't use other people's work without their permission.

DrewFaye wrote:and I've become more and more convinced that the best way to save information from Internet is to download and store it on local HDD. And back up it from time to time. There's a lot of speaking about cloud storaging, but I've always said this is unreliable. Someone (hosts, owner, government, etc.) decides to close the shop and... voile! You've got only the things you had a chance to download and save.

Is there any torrent where we can find all add-ons? I would support seeding it with pleasure. There is some add-on packs on Russian trackers, but they're incomplete.

When the Motherlode was offline, I uploaded an archive of it to GitHub; see this thread. Unfortunately there were a lot of large files that I couldn't upload, but I do have all the files saved and can upload them somewhere else if necessary. GitHub isn't likely to go offline any time soon.

DrewFaye wrote:I don't make a game or anything similar, but I use fictional planets and systems (as well as REAL astronomical data), trying to construct fictional worlds and making pictures. I'm a writer, and this helps me to fell the space, to catch the inspiration... The Celestia is the best program I've ever met for my purposes. Easy to use, free to change. It is very sad that a lot of add-ons is unavailable.

The Celestia community is still active, just not on the Motherlode. There are many addons posted on this forum, as well as a Discord server you can join (link is at the top of any forum page).
My Addons: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=19978 • Discord server admin
Celestia versions: 1.5.1, 1.6.1, 1.6.2, 1.7.0, and some unofficial versions like Celestia-ED

Adirondack M

Post #14by Adirondack » 14.09.2021, 10:43

Doesn't work. The Celestia Motherlode is online, but I can't download anything.
Works fine for me too.

Ulrich

Return to “Help Central”