Using Scripts with Mirror Dome Version

Have a question about using Celestia? Check here first for FAQs and helpful advice.
Forum rules
Please help to make this forum more useful by checking the FAQs before posting! Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, share your knowledge.
Topic author
trumpel
With us: 13 years 2 months

Using Scripts with Mirror Dome Version

Post #1by trumpel » 24.04.2011, 15:06

I wonder if any of you using the Mirrordome Swinburne Celestia version could make work new scripts. I put in the scripts in the folder but how you call the function inside Celestia?
Thanks
Luis

selden
Developer
With us: 21 years 9 months

Re: Using Scripts with Mirror Dome Version

Post #2by selden » 24.04.2011, 23:10

I'm not familiar with Swinbourne's products, but...
Which version of Celestia are they providing?

In principle, if Celestia is properly installed, then I think you should be able to invoke a script by selecting (double clicking) on the script's icon.

I don't use a Mac myself, so I might be mistaken.
Selden

Topic author
trumpel

Post #3by trumpel » 25.04.2011, 10:14

The mirordome version works in fullscreen mode as its main purpose is to show a planetarium look without menus. Which key invoke the scripts?
Thanks
Luis

selden
Developer

Post #4by selden » 25.04.2011, 12:16

Sorry: I had the impression that the standard configuration uses a laptop with its external (usually VGA) output configured for the projected image and with the laptop's internal screen still fully functional for interacting with the operating system and running programs. i.e. you'd select the script on the laptop's screen.

Unfortunately, there's no builtin Celestia hotkey for scripts that I'm aware of.
In principle, one could have a CelX Celestia startup script which provides one.

As I wrote previously, I'm not familiar with the Mac interface to Celestia. With the Windows version, if you're running full-screen, when you move the cursor to the top of the screen a menu bar appears. I don't know if the cursor is visible in your case. In Celestia v1.6.0, there's a scripts entry in the file menu which provides access to the scripts placed in Celestia\scripts. I don't know where the corresponding directory is in the Mac install, since Celestia can be installed in at least two different sections.

(It'd be really nice if some Mac expert would update the WikiBook to describe the Mac installation options at http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Celestia/Installation )
Selden

Topic author
trumpel

Post #5by trumpel » 25.04.2011, 23:24

No, when I move the cursor up the menu does not show up. Hope future versions allow to run scripts. We only need a key to invoke the function. May be somebody could do it like a plug-in. Yes I put the scripts inside the correct folder but without the chance to call it from inside
Thanks
Luis

selden
Developer

Post #6by selden » 26.04.2011, 00:40

As a workaround, you can replace Celestia's startup script, start.cel, with your own.
Selden

Return to “Help Central”