following / speed of "go to"

Have a question about using Celestia? Check here first for FAQs and helpful advice.
Forum rules
Please help to make this forum more useful by checking the FAQs before posting! Keep it clean, keep it civil, keep it truthful, stay on topic, be responsible, share your knowledge.
Topic author
zucco
With us: 15 years 4 months

following / speed of "go to"

Post #1by zucco » 01.05.2009, 14:03

Hello I have two questions about this wonderful software:

- When I am in mode "following" for exemple Earth, how can I disable this mode to start a travel? (without "go to" function, I'd like to do a free travel)

- When I use go to function, I think there is a default time of the travel, for exemple 5 seconds to go everywhere. Is there any possibility to change this value?

Thanks
Fabio

BobHegwood
With us: 16 years 11 months

Re: following / speed of "go to"

Post #2by BobHegwood » 01.05.2009, 14:56

zucco wrote:Hello I have two questions about this wonderful software:

- When I am in mode "following" for exemple Earth, how can I disable this mode to start a travel? (without "go to" function, I'd like to do a free travel)

- When I use go to function, I think there is a default time of the travel, for exemple 5 seconds to go everywhere. Is there any possibility to change this value?

Thanks
Fabio

Fabio,
You can do what you wish to do, but you need to learn either CELX or CEL scripting in
order to write scripts to change the goto speed. I *think* that this is the only option,
but I could be wrong. One of the other geniuses around here can help with this topic
I'm sure. :wink:

Thanks, Brain-Dead
Brain-Dead Geezer Bob is now using...
Windows Vista Home Premium, 64-bit on a
Gateway Pentium Dual-Core CPU E5200, 2.5GHz
7 GB RAM, 500 GB hard disk, Nvidia GeForce 7100
Nvidia nForce 630i, 1680x1050 screen, Latest SVN

Chuft-Captain
With us: 18 years 9 months

Post #3by Chuft-Captain » 01.05.2009, 16:38

zucco wrote:- When I am in mode "following" for exemple Earth, how can I disable this mode to start a travel? (without "go to" function, I'd like to do a free travel)
You can do "free flight" at any time the follow mode is activated by using the "A" (speed up), "Z" (slow down) and F1 (stop) keys in conjunction with the arrow keys.

zucco wrote:- When I use go to function, I think there is a default time of the travel, for exemple 5 seconds to go everywhere. Is there any possibility to change this value?
The following is an example of a script which replicates the GOTO key using 30 seconds instead of the standard 5 secs. Save this text into a file called "goto.celx" in the scripts folder -- you can then run it from the file->scripts menu instead of pressing the G key.

Code: Select all

traveltime =30
target = celestia:getselection()
obs = celestia:getobserver()
obs:goto( target, traveltime )
"Is a planetary surface the right place for an expanding technological civilization?"
-- Gerard K. O'Neill (1969)

CATALOG SYNTAX HIGHLIGHTING TOOLS LAGRANGE POINTS

Andy74 M
With us: 20 years 2 months

Post #4by Andy74 » 01.05.2009, 20:40

Fabio,

to leave the "Follow" mode (as well as "Chase" or "Sync orbit", whatever you are using), just press the ESC key. You are then in free flight mode.
You may also want to look at the list of controls in the Celestia help menu.

Regards
Andy

Topic author
zucco
With us: 15 years 4 months

Post #5by zucco » 03.05.2009, 08:59

thank you all

Return to “Help Central”